Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #26433
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB600 Battery Performance" Previous topic | Next topic
yourang1 Registered since 03rd Feb 2007Sun 21-Oct-07 08:49 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB600 Battery Performance"

AU

Hi All you SB600 users (I have nothing against SB800 users).

I was just wondering how many shots SB600 owners were getting with rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries. The manual states a minimum number of 220 with the 2000 mah ones. (Normally I just use alkaline and the ones i have used wore out fairly quickly)

About two weeks ago I bought a set of Duracell 2650 mah Ni-Mh and I failed to keep an exact number of the shots I have taken with them which are in the vicinity of 400 now with the SB600 recycling like new.

I actually bought a spare set but for the amount of flash work I use I'm not sure they will ever get used.

Mike

illegitimis non carborundum.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB600 Battery Performance
blw Moderator
21st Oct 2007
yourang1
21st Oct 2007
Propellorhead
21st Oct 2007
Arkayem Moderator
22nd Oct 2007
yourang1
22nd Oct 2007

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 21-Oct-07 10:02 AM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB600 Battery Performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

My NiMH's are 1800 maH, and I have yet to run them flat in a single session. I don't do weddings or similar events, though. On the other hand, I spent a day at a museum last week where almost every shot required flash, including quite a few at 60-80 feet, and I still didn't run out of juice. After tossing the rejects, I still have 312 frames from that outing, of which at least 250+ involved flash.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

yourang1 Registered since 03rd Feb 2007Sun 21-Oct-07 10:20 AM
383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB600 Battery Performance"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Brian,

I'm a bit behind the times with rechargeables and had a fairly ordinary experience with Nicads when they first came out so just didn't bother again, but the technology seems to have taken a good step forward going by these things.

Mike

Propellorhead Registered since 20th Jun 2007Sun 21-Oct-07 09:43 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB600 Battery Performance"
In response to Reply # 2

APO, AE, US

I've shot a couple of sessions where I just didnt run out of power. Im using the Enrgerizer 2500mAh's. I've shot an outdoor night running event of around 400 shots set at about -0.7 average with no trouble. Just shot a wedding also at around -0.7~0.0 and managed just over 500 shots, 95% with flash on.

-Nikonian in Baden-Wuerttemburg,
Germany
http://flickr.com/photos/propellorhead

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 22-Oct-07 01:34 PM
6009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB600 Battery Performance"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi All you SB600 users (I have nothing against SB800 users).
>
> I was just wondering how many shots SB600 owners were
>getting with rechargeable Ni-Mh batteries. The manual
>states a minimum number of 220 with the 2000 mah ones.
>(Normally I just use alkaline and the ones i have used wore
>out fairly quickly)
>
> About two weeks ago I bought a set of Duracell 2650 mah
>Ni-Mh and I failed to keep an exact number of the shots I
>have taken with them which are in the vicinity of 400 now
>with the SB600 recycling like new.
>
> I actually bought a spare set but for the amount of flash
>work I use I'm not sure they will ever get used.
>
>Mike
>

The number of flashes you will get from a set of NiMH batteries depends heavily on the way you use the flash. For instance, if you use a diffuser, it will deplete you batteries quicker. And if you are shooting a subject that is really close, like people close-ups at a reception, the flash will operate at a much lower than max power, and your batteries will last much longer. If your subject is far away, like at a basketball game, then your flash will fire near max power for every shot and you'll get less shots from a set of batteries.

At a wedding, I normally get about 500 shots per set of batteries on my SB800 using a Gary Fong Light Sphere II difusser.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

yourang1 Registered since 03rd Feb 2007Mon 22-Oct-07 08:22 PM
#5. "RE: SB600 Battery Performance"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Thanks for all the replys.

Its good to know that the chances of having to change batteries just when you didn't want to is unlikely to happen. At least to me unless I forget to re-charge them.

Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #26433 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.