nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24905
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD-8A Battery Pack question?" Previous topic | Next topic
zoom2zoom   US  Basic Member Sat 11-Aug-07 08:36 PM
625 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD-8A Battery Pack question?"

I received a SD-8A Battery Pack, and testing the unit out with a SB800 and D2X.. without a manual... how do i know the pack is on and working? what is the red LCD on the top of the pack for? is it suppose to light up?

is it really that i can't shoot more than 15 continuous flashes without waiting 10 minutes to cool off? as i really need to use this pack for weddings..

thanks for your input.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

the jedi master   US  Registered since 28th Aug 2006 Sat 11-Aug-07 09:43 PM
1619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD-8A Battery Pack question?"
In response to Reply # 0

15 continuous flashes

Really!? Why so many? The only thing I shot on CH mode is in the chuppa and breaking the glass..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/THEJEDIMASTER

http://www.flickr.com/photos/THEJEDIMASTER

Exposure1   US  Registered since 08th May 2006 Mon 13-Aug-07 10:32 PM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD-8A Battery Pack question?"
In response to Reply # 1

The SB800 is not made for rapid successive flash use. You will burn it up. Perhaps another flash that has cooling vents etc built in would be better for your application.

Do a search, plenty of posts

DL Cleve, Oh

www.lorenzopics.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Tue 14-Aug-07 12:21 AM
6038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD-8A Battery Pack question?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I received a SD-8A Battery Pack, and testing the unit out
>with a SB800 and D2X.. without a manual... how do i know the
>pack is on and working? what is the red LCD on the top of
>the pack for? is it suppose to light up?
>
>is it really that i can't shoot more than 15 continuous
>flashes without waiting 10 minutes to cool off? as i really
>need to use this pack for weddings..
>
>thanks for your input.

I also shoot weddings with an SB-800 (using the 5th battery option), and I always outrun it a few times each wedding. Most of the time I can fire about 5 shots before it quits, but for some events, like the bouquet toss, I'd like to be able to shoot a longer burst - maybe 8 shots or so. I have also been considering getting an SD-8a to increase the burst length.

However, I also know that the SB800 is not really designed for really long full-power bursts. From when I used a Quantum TC power pack, I know that the SB-800 will overheat and can even melt if you are not careful.

If you need really long full-power bursts you probably want to buy a commercial grade unit like a Quantum T5D. I don't think it will ever overheat, but it is so much bigger and heavier than an SB-800, I don't think I would want to carry it around all day at a wedding.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24905 Previous topic | Next topic