Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24808
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eneloop clones, good deal here" Previous topic | Next topic
Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Tue 07-Aug-07 02:03 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Eneloop clones, good deal here"

US

Just found these yesterday at WalMart:

Kodak Pre-Charged 4 Pack $7.88 or $11.97 with an overnight charger, 2100mAH. The charger is a no frills cheapo, but overnight charging is actually better than quick charging for the life of the battery.

This is a really good deal. Not sure if they are as good as the Eneloops but they are WAY cheaper.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here
Ned_L Moderator
08th Aug 2007
Abouna
08th Aug 2007
fjgindy
08th Aug 2007
Ned_L Moderator
08th Aug 2007
Arkayem Moderator
08th Aug 2007
Ned_L Moderator
08th Aug 2007

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-07 03:08 AM
6586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi Abouna. Permit me to disagree. There is a significant battery life differential between batteries of 2100mAH like the Kodak ones you mention, and the 2700mAH batteries I put in my Speedlights. Even if the Kodaks cost half that price, I stick to my MAHA Powerex 2700mAh batteries at $12.77 a 4 pack from Thomas. They're selling Accupower 2600mAh AA's for $9.97 which I would prefer too.

Ned
-----------------------------
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-07 03:28 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Sorry maybe my OP wasn't clear.

You're comparing apples and oranges of a sort. These batts are the new slow discharge/pre-charge variety, hence the reference to Eneloops.

Granted, they don't have the capacity that NiMH can do these days (2700 mAH), but they do stay charged well into the 6 month range. I'm certainly not advocating them as contenders to the high mAH batts, but I think the advantages of this particular breed have been proven.

For me (not an event photographer) these can't be beat. My strobe can sit on the shelf for weeks and I know it will be ready to go anytime.

Cheers.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

fjgindy Registered since 23rd Jan 2007Wed 08-Aug-07 01:03 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 1

Indianapolis, US

>Hi Abouna. Permit me to disagree. There is a significant
>battery life differential between batteries of 2100mAH like
>the Kodak ones you mention, and the 2700mAH batteries I put
>in my Speedlights. Even if the Kodaks cost half that price,
>I stick to my MAHA Powerex 2700mAh batteries at $12.77 a 4
>pack from Thomas. They're selling Accupower 2600mAh AA's
>for $9.97 which I would prefer too.
>
>Ned
>-----------------------------
>
>photographs, there are only good photographs.
>Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Not sure what your disagreeing with here...

The Powerex 2700mAh batteries are terrific and the OP didn't sat they weren't. The Eneloop and Kodak batteries listed above serve a different pupose. I keep a set of Eneloop's in my bag as a go to set in emergency situations. I know they will be charged and ready to go. Keep a set of the Powerex's in your bag for a few months and see how charged they are.

For $8 I'm going to give the Kodak's a shot!

Nikon D50 * Nikon D80 * Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 * Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 * Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 * Nikon 50mm 1.4 * Nikon 85mm 1.8 * Nikon 180mm 2.8 * Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DG 1.4x * SB 600

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-07 08:20 PM
6586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

I didn't know my comment was such that you needed to shout me down (Your nothing but bold type.)

I am well aware of the difference in the batteries, and in my opinion, a battery with about 25% less power isn't going to cut for me. I don't find it onerous to keep my batteries charged. There is no time that I'm not firing off my speedlights for months. When I go out, I generally have 1 set of 5 batteries for each SB-800 fully charged, plus two sets of 5 for each, for replacements, more if necessary.

I'll buy $8 of Powerex 2700 batteries long before buying $8 of the others. I'm considering so Turbo units for the future, but spending precious dollars on some other photo gear first; lenses and filters.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-07 10:46 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

I haven't tried the newer Eneloop clones, but they should be just as good once the bugs are worked out.

I use the Eneloops in equipment that I don't use often, like my extra SB-600 that I carry just in case. I also keep them in the AA battery holder that goes in the SB-D200 grip, just in case. And I keep them in a point and shoot that I carry, just in case.

I really like not having to charge all those batteries unless I actually use them. I haven't touched the P&S for about four months, and I just looked at it and it still shows the batteries to be fully charged.

I use PowerEx 2700s in sets of 5 in my SB-800s. Extremely good batteries, but they do self discharge pretty quickly.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-07 11:43 PM
#6. "RE: Eneloop clones, good deal here"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

Russ, I agree that they discharge like lightening when you're not using them. I'll consider eneloops when they have more power. All three of my MAHA chargers will charge them. I'm using all my Speedlights at least every other week.

When I'm traveling I take one or two SB-800 units with me and a small MAHA charger. I also take lots of batteries. Last spring I would run through at least a set a day taking outdoor photos with my Better Beamer atop an SB-800.

Ned

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.