Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24622
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40" Previous topic | Next topic
DriverSeat Registered since 06th Jul 2007Sat 28-Jul-07 02:00 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"

Santa Ynez, US

I hope it is OK to post this question on this forum, I did not see any others that were more appropriate. Back in the old days when I was shooting film, I loved my Nikon F3 with the Vivitar 283 flash. I would like to mount the 283 in the hot shoe of my D40 but it seems like I heard somewhere that to do so could damage the electronics of the camera . . . something about the voltage in the contact of the flash. I certainly don't want to to risk that unless someone has successful done that without any problems. I am planning on ordering up a Nikon SB 600, but wanted to use an accessory flash until the 600 came in. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40
Arved
28th Jul 2007
DriverSeat
29th Jul 2007
edmun
30th Jul 2007
IndyGeoff
02nd Aug 2007
ama11441 Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
IndyGeoff
08th Aug 2007
avm247 Moderator
07th Aug 2007

Arved Registered since 10th Aug 2006Sat 28-Jul-07 03:29 AM
816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Fleming Island, US

Hello Jack,

Depending on how old your Vivitar is, you may have a problem with the voltage used. Most Nikons (I don't know about the D40 specifically) are safe up to 250V. Vivitar has had several versions manufactured in many different factories (think lowest bidder). If you had a volt meter, you could check this yourself. Maybe you know a HAM operator in your area who could help you with this? Perhaps this page will help you.

The ultra conservative approach is to use a Wein "Safe Sync" to protect your camera.

You'll find your Vivitar to be a little more powerfull than the SB-600 you're considering. It's a great little flash.

Hope this helps!

- Arved
"Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it, and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work -- and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't." - Lucille Ball

- Arved
“If you like the way it looks, take the picture. You don’t have to be a portrait judge to know when something looks good. You simply have to develop good taste through learning the basic principles of good composition and lighting.”-- Monte Zucker

DriverSeat Registered since 06th Jul 2007Sun 29-Jul-07 03:37 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Ynez, US

Thanks for the great info. I will pick up a "safe sync" on E-bay. There are several listed. I have never heard of this device and it is the perfect solution for the 283. The article was very interesting as well. Thanks again for your insight. Jack

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 30-Jul-07 07:15 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Nikon rates their cameras at 250 volts and most flash units have a trigger voltage under 24 volts.

Some of these work and some times the safe synchs are more porblems.

To my knowledge, there has only been camera owned by a Nikonian that had a problem with a flash and that was a Olympus camera.

Wait and see if anyone posts and says I had a problem.

The only unit I know of that caused problems was the very first Vivitar 283 made in Japan by National and they were pulled from the market very fast.

Botzilla.com has a list of units and voltages and how to test.

If you are really worried than skip the safe synch and go with a old Nikon unit which will cost about the same as the safe synch.

ledmun

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007Thu 02-Aug-07 11:11 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 3

Greenwood, US

Just tested my 283 and it measured at 286 volts ... i took off the bottom and turned the flash on .. once the ready light showed i checked the voltage across the 2 wires.

286 volts on mine ... i DID shoot it once on my D80 before I knew to worry about that. No problem from the 1 test shot as my new SB600 works fine. I am not going to risk it again though and will prob just get a new flash unti.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ama11441 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jun 2006Tue 07-Aug-07 04:49 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 4

Clifton Park, US

Before I got the SB800 I used 2-283's and 2-285HV's. The older Vivitar 283 has a trigger voltage over 200 volts but the others are around 12 volts. Just to be safe I purchased a Wein HSHSB Safe Sync. I blew out the first Safe Sync in less than a year on the grandchildren and the manufacturer replaced it.
I fire mine on the thyristor (aperature red) circuit with the camera on manual program and bounce it. With camera sensitivity at 400 the flash output is actually less - guess 250-300. It is really quite easy to use - just vary the f stop until the exposure looks good. Another alternative is to use the Wein peanut PN slave. On the D70 and D200 I cut the manual flash output to the lowest possible to just trigger the Viviar 283.

John
Clifton Park, NY

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007Wed 08-Aug-07 07:31 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 5

Greenwood, US

peanut slave barely plugged into the side of the 283 ( i have no manual so i hope that is where it was supposed to go) and it kept strobing the flash. I exchanged it for the one that goes under the hotshoe and hope that works for me.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 07-Aug-07 05:26 PM
18315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Vivitar 283 Flash on Nikon D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Remember, the D40 is an I-TTL flash system and the SB-400/600/800 (and some third party flashes) are the better way to go. In a pinch, though older flashes can be used in manual flash, or auto flash modes; just check the voltage!

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
Two is One, One is NONE - always have a backup!

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24622 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.