Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #2449
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help with SB-28 Standby mode" Previous topic | Next topic
danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 03-Aug-02 07:02 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with SB-28 Standby mode"

Framingham, US

Greetings,

For some reason I cannot get the standby light on my SB-28 to go out. I don't know if it's affecting the shots that I'm making because the flash still works, but I don't know if it's giving me the correct amount of fill flash. The light will go out if I turn the unit off but will reappear when it's powered up.

According to the manual the light should go out when the shutter button is pressed on my F100, when I turn the SB-28 off and on, or when the flash button is pressed. I've changed the batteries and cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser. No luck.

Has anyone had this experience themselves? I would hate to send it off for repairs if it's just something small. Thanx in advance for your help.

Dana in Massachusetts

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bgelfand Registered since 09th Feb 2002Sun 04-Aug-02 05:41 AM
1726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help with SB-28 Standby mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento Area, US

Hi Dana,

If by Standby light you mean STBY in the lower right hand side of the LCD, I think you may be misinterpreting the manual.

STBY on the display means that the Standby FUNCTION is enabled i.e the flash is capable of entering Standby Mode. If both the camera and the SB-28 are not used for about 80 seconds, the SB-28 will enter Standby Mode. In Standby Mode the LCD goes out; it looks like the flash has turned itself off. If the SB-28 enters Standby Mode, you can come out of it by lightly pressing the shutter release (in other words get ready to take a picture), pressing FLASH (is this thing really working?), or pressing ON/OFF (did I turn it off or didn't I?).

The Standby function is a factory default. Why would anyone want to cancel? I don't know, but they can if they want to. See page 15 of the SB-28 manual for a full description.

It's a great flash; it just takes a little getting use to. Who am I kidding, it takes a lot of getting use to. That thing has more bells and whistles on it than I can keep track of.

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 04-Aug-02 02:23 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help with SB-28 Standby mode"
In response to Reply # 1

Framingham, US

Brooks,

Thanx much for your help. As you said, I misinterpreted the manual. I've been using the flash for over a year and never noticed that the STBY indicator was lit. Turning fifty wil do that. And you're right, this little baby has more features than I could ever use...but, it's a great piece of equipment. Thanx again.

Dana in Massachusetts

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bgelfand Registered since 09th Feb 2002Sun 04-Aug-02 08:39 PM
1726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help with SB-28 Standby mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Sacramento Area, US

You're welcome, you young squirt, you (in two more weeks I turn 60).

Glad I could help.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #2449 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.