Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24462
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s" Previous topic | Next topic
Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 20-Jul-07 10:12 AM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"

Scotland, GB

My D200 has 1/60s set in e2 (minimum shutter speed)and 1/250th set in e1 (maximum sync speed). The page 28 of my SB-800 manual says that in camera Program Auto (P) mode the shutter speed is automatically set to the camera's sync speed. However my D200 screen shows that that the shutter speed is actually being set to 1/60s and, e.g.f4. Anyone else seen this situation?

Lens is 17-55mm f2.8 DX

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s
Slohand1 Silver Member
20th Jul 2007
Beemer2 Silver Member
20th Jul 2007
Slohand1 Silver Member
20th Jul 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
20th Jul 2007
Beemer2 Silver Member
20th Jul 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
20th Jul 2007
Chan Tran
20th Jul 2007
Beemer2 Silver Member
20th Jul 2007
Chan Tran
20th Jul 2007
MarkF
21st Jul 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
21st Jul 2007
Beemer2 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Jul 2007

Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jul-07 02:00 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Ian:

I do not have the D200 but on my D2Xs, in order to obtain the maximum sync speed (Auto FP)the flash has to be attached and turned on when I make the change in Custom Setting e1 in my camera.

Try it and see if it works for you. You will know that it worked when you see FP in the LCD screen on your SB-800.

Marty

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 20-Jul-07 04:04 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 1

Scotland, GB

Marty,

I do not want to use Auto FP. The D200 has 1/250s sync without needing AutoFP.

Ian

Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Jul-07 05:19 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

Ian:

Ok, then. I apparently misunderstood your question or your point.

Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 20-Jul-07 04:28 PM
7842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I'm undoubtedly missing something. I would think in P mode that the camera would bias towards the lower shutter speed in an effort to balance the ambient lighting when the available light is low.

If I wanted to ensure a 1/250 speed, I would choose S mode and set it to 1/250.

BTW.....1/60 is a camera sync speed. Anything less than or equal to 1/250 is.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 20-Jul-07 06:11 PM
#5. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 3

Scotland, GB

Scott,

I would not disagree with you but my post is in relation to what the SB-800 and SB-600 manuals say but I did not achieve.

Ian

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 20-Jul-07 06:26 PM
7842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

>Scott,
>
>I would not disagree with you but my post is in relation to
>what the SB-800 and SB-600 manuals say but I did not
>achieve.
>

That's where I am losing you. I think it did do what the manual says. You said it selects the camera's sync speed, and it did. A speed of 1/60 is a camera sync speed. I don't think it means that it selects the camera's fastest sync speed, just it's sync speed.

Like I said, I might be missing your point.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Chan Tran Registered since 04th Dec 2003Fri 20-Jul-07 06:32 PM
2598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 6

Aurora, US

On the D200 any speed from 1/250 or slower is the correct flash sync speed. Which one of these the camera will be set to is not a function of the flash but the function of the camera. If in your custom setting you set the minimum sync speed to 1/250 then it will select 1/250 in P mode. By default the camera will pick 1/60 unless the ambient lighting is bright enough to have correct exposure without flash at higher speed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Fri 20-Jul-07 08:00 PM
#8. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 7

Scotland, GB

Chan,

You seem to me to be confident in your reply. However I do not understand the meaning of your words, which were ....
------------
If in your custom setting you set the minimum sync speed to 1/250 then it will select 1/250 in P mode. By default the camera will pick 1/60 unless the ambient lighting is bright enough to have correct exposure without flash at higher speed
---------------

My response is that:

If in P-mode the D200 is picking 1/250s then why does the image say that 1/60s was used?

Ian

Chan Tran Registered since 04th Dec 2003Fri 20-Jul-07 10:33 PM
2598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 8

Aurora, US

I meant that in your custome setting e2, if you set it at 1/250 then the camera will pick 1/250 in P mode. As you have said your e2 is now set to 1/60 and thus it will pick 1/60 unless you have a lot of ambience light (like when you shoot flash outdoor in bright daylight).

MarkF Registered since 20th Dec 2005Sat 21-Jul-07 01:41 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 9

Northern Virginia area, US

Yes, I had the same situation with my D200 and the 17-55, took 30 or so indoor shots and all are at 1/60th, most at the same f-stop f8. Seemed odd.

Checked other shots in different lighting, and the camera does adjust. Some are at 1/250, some slower.

Suggest you try a different environment, outdoors in bright light, outdoors in low light, indoors bright, etc.... Also, try changing the ISO and see how the camera adjusts.

Do the pictures look OK?

There may be a programmed bias towards 1/60th; good enough across all of the 17-55 range. I noticed a low light indoor shot taken with my 70-200 at 175mm (SB-800 flash on) the camera selected 1/250th. Is it smart enough to know it needed a faster shutter speed with a long zoom?

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 21-Jul-07 08:49 PM
#11. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 10

Powder Springs, US

The camera will choose a shutter speed that will get the best exposure for the ambient light without flash. In typical indoor situations this will be 1/60th.

Of course, it will go slower, if you have your minimum shutter speed set below 1/60.

If you want a shutter speed that is faster than that which is appropriate for the available light, you need to shoot in manual or shutter preferred mode.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Sun 22-Jul-07 02:50 PM
#12. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 11

Scotland, GB

Scott,

So are you and the others which replied with basically similar answers saying that the manual reference I gave is not strictly correct?

Ian

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-07 05:28 PM
#13. "RE: Why does my SB800 select 1/60s and not 1/250s"
In response to Reply # 12

Powder Springs, US

Hi Ian,

The point I am trying to make is that the manual is strictly correct in that 1/250 is not THE camera's flash sync. Any and all shutter speeds less than or equal to 1/250 are the camera's shutter sync.

Where you are getting all balled up is by thinking that 1/250 is the camera's sync and the ONLY camera sync. At 1/250 and slower the shutter will be fully open at some point in time, long enough to permit the entire flash burst to be recorded.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #24462 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.