Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23890
View in linear mode

Subject: "Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review" Previous topic | Next topic
Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Sat 23-Jun-07 07:05 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review"

US

After a few weeks of researching Umbrellas and stands I finally picked some up and did a mini-review over at the Strobist discussion site. As I had so many questions while looking for gear I assume other may as well.

Here a link to the review http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157600452886115/

Cheers.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 23-Jun-07 09:16 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>After a few weeks of researching Umbrellas and stands I
>finally picked some up and did a mini-review over at the
>Strobist discussion site. As I had so many questions while
>looking for gear I assume other may as well.
>
>Here a link to the review
>http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157600452886115/

I looked at your flicker post and pictures of the umbrellas, and I was wondering how you fire the flash remotely with it in that sock? Can you still use Nikon CLS, or do you have to use RF and set power manually? It seems the sock would block the IR light pulse used in CLS.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Sat 23-Jun-07 10:18 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I looked at your flicker post and pictures of the umbrellas,
>and I was wondering how you fire the flash remotely with it
>in that sock? Can you still use Nikon CLS, or do you have
>to use RF and set power manually? It seems the sock would
>block the IR light pulse used in CLS.
>
>Russ
>http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Well, first, right now I'm using just a single SB-600 with my D70 as Commander. I could be wrong (though I'm pretty sure I'm not), but in that configuration the SB-600 is triggered strictly by micro flashes from the on board D70 strobe, there is no IR involved. It does just fine as well, the micro flashes have no problem penetrating the umbrella.

That said, if I were using an SB-800 or SU-800, it would be an IR or RF signal (can't remember which). This however would certainly pose no problem, not only is RF/IR not blocked by something as insubstantial as fabric, but it has a greater range than the micro flashes. I believe the D2X or D200 may also do Commander via RF/IR.

Now I'm thinking it's probably RF not IR. Too lazy to check.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Jun-07 09:39 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>>I looked at your flicker post and pictures of the umbrellas,
>>and I was wondering how you fire the flash remotely with it
>>in that sock? Can you still use Nikon CLS, or do you have
>>to use RF and set power manually? It seems the sock would
>>block the IR light pulse used in CLS.
>>
>>Russ
>>http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
>
>Well, first, right now I'm using just a single SB-600 with
>my D70 as Commander. I could be wrong (though I'm pretty
>sure I'm not), but in that configuration the SB-600 is
>triggered strictly by micro flashes from the on board D70
>strobe, there is no IR involved. It does just fine as well,
>the micro flashes have no problem penetrating the umbrella.
>
>That said, if I were using an SB-800 or SU-800, it would be
>an IR or RF signal (can't remember which). This however
>would certainly pose no problem, not only is RF/IR not
>blocked by something as insubstantial as fabric, but it has
>a greater range than the micro flashes.

Actually, the SB-800 and SB-600 remote flashes are ONLY triggered by IR - that's why the red lens over the window. The preflashes from the D-70 and all other Nikon on-board flashes, put out both IR and visible light, but it is only the IR part that communicates with the SB-800 and SB-600.

In fact, the SU-800 generates only IR to control the SB-800 or SB-600.

And you can actually buy a small IR adapter (the Nikon SG-3IR) that blocks the visible light from the D-70 while letting the IR get through. This is used to prevent the visible preflashes from bothering the subject. This is very useful for shooting people who blink quickly.

>I believe the D2X
>or D200 may also do Commander via RF/IR.

The D200 works just like a D-70. The D2X has no on-board flash so it requires an SU-800 to control remote flashes.

>Now I'm thinking it's probably RF not IR. Too lazy to check.

All of the Nikon systems use IR.

All that said, I'm surprised that you can reliably fire the SB-600 through that sock with your D70 as commander.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Sun 24-Jun-07 11:46 PM
#4. "RE: Amvona Stands & Umbrella mini review"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Russ,

You did a fine job of showing up my ignorance, thanks a lot!

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote all that drivel.

As for the umbrellas, I knew it would work as I've seen it posted here and elsewhere so any times.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23890 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.