nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #2387
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-26 vs. SB-28DX" Previous topic | Next topic
adman227 Registered since 14th Jul 2002Sat 27-Jul-02 01:26 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"

Miami, US

Does anyone have any experience with the SB-26 and the new line of Nikon D100 or D1X cameras. I know Nikon is pushing all of us to use their new line of flashes, but I think the 26 is the best on-camera flash ever made by Nikon. Does anyone know the real reason Nikon stopped making the 26 ???

Thanks,

Michael --

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
27th Jul 2002
adman227
27th Jul 2002
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
27th Jul 2002
Nikonnut
31st Jul 2002
mythrenegade
31st Jul 2002

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 27-Jul-02 03:41 AM
35251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The SB-26 is indeed a hell of a flash, but it will not sync with digital cameras. The introduction of the SB-28 made the demand for brand new SB-26 flashes stop down completely.
You need a DX flash for a digital SLR.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

adman227 Registered since 14th Jul 2002Sat 27-Jul-02 04:09 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"
In response to Reply # 1

Miami, US

>The SB-26 is indeed a hell of a flash, but it will not sync
>with digital cameras. The introduction of the SB-28 made the
>demand for brand new SB-26 flashes stop down completely.
>You need a DX flash for a digital SLR.

Sir,

I'm not an expert, but everything I've been told by people who know more than myself is, the SB-26 will sync TTL with any of Nikon's new line of digital cameras. The question is...will it do as good ???

Thanks,

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 27-Jul-02 09:12 PM
35251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I always thought that sync was like pregnancy, either you have it or not.
My understanding is that only the Fuji S2 does not require the DX feature.
But I am no expert on digital cameras.
Maybe you should post your question at the D1/D100 Forum.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Nikonnut Registered since 03rd Mar 2002Wed 31-Jul-02 02:31 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmingville, US

The SB-26 will not work in the TTL mode on any Nikon digital SLR camera body. It will however operate fine in the A mode or in the Manual mode. The SB-26 was replaced by the SB-28 because the SB-28 took up less room in the camera bag and weighed less, a request made by a number of pro's. The SB-28 also does not have the built-in wireless slave feature found in the SB-26. By removing this feature Nikon was able to design a smaller, lighter flash with the same power and features as the SB-26. The wireless slave is now available as a seperate item called the SU-4, for those photographer's who require this feature. In order to use TTL flash with your D-100 you must buy a DX series flash such as the SB-28DX, SB-30DX, SB-50DX or the SB-80DX. The SB-80DX is the current version of the now discontinued SB-28DX equivalent.

Larry C.
The Long Island Nikonian

mythrenegade Basic MemberWed 31-Jul-02 08:06 AM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-26 vs. SB-28DX"
In response to Reply # 4

Oak Hills, US

The SB80dx is a modernized SB26 that is a little more powerful.

The SB26 is awesome, but not for digital.

The SB28 is fine, but not as good as the SB26 IMHO.

The SB28dx works with Nikon's digital cameras.

The SB80dx is the cream of the crop.

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #2387 Previous topic | Next topic