Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23806
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 + D200 showing underexposed pictures - Around 1 E" Previous topic | Next topic
ajvo Registered since 08th Mar 2007Sun 17-Jun-07 04:32 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 + D200 showing underexposed pictures - Around 1 E"

Sao Paulo - SP, BR

I´m new on SB800 and D200 camera and I did a test in a church last saturday and MOST of my pictures are underexposed. Most of the lights inside church are 70% fluorescent and 30% incandescent. As follows i´m including some of my camera setup and SB800 in iTTL.
pic #1
lens 35-70 2.8 AF-D
Focal lenght - 70mm
Exposure - M
Metering Multi pattern
1/40 sec. F 3.2
ISO 400
Exp comp. 0EV
White Bal. Auto -2
AF-C
Front curtain
SB800 iTTL
pic #2
all the same except:
focal lenght 35mm
1/15 sec. f.2.8
ISO 250
I´m I doing something wrong?? Do I miss something?? I would like to hear some comments and sugestions if possible!!
Maybe overexpose around 1EV in my camera??
Thanks so much for any comments!
Sorry but I cannot post any picture(i´m not a silver member yet)
Cheers from Brazil
Antonio

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Nick Green Registered since 02nd Apr 2006Sun 17-Jun-07 06:05 PM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB800 + D200 showing underexposed pictures - Around"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

There are some excellent Nikonians who are experts in using the Nikon CLS who I am sure will respond soon.

For now though I will offer my thoughts. The first thing I noted is you are using Front Curtain Synch. This will restrict your slowest shutter speed to that set in your CSM. It appears that yours is set to 1/15 sec. This has, you have said underexposed your shot.

You need to balance the requirements of ambient exposure for the "background", controlled by your D200, and the requirements of your subject, controlled by your S800.

Set Rear Curtain Synch to enable the correct exposure for the "background" and then adjust the SB800 to obtain correct subject exposure. Rear curtain synch enables slow shutter speeds.

Hope this will start you off.

All the best.

NICK

Nick Green
ENGLAND
www.nickgreenphotography.com
“There is a forgotten, nay forbidden
word that means more to me than any
other. That word is ENGLAND.” Sir
Winston Churchill

Exposure1 Registered since 08th May 2006Mon 18-Jun-07 01:07 PM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB800 + D200 showing underexposed pictures - Around"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I´m new on SB800 and D200 camera and I did a test in a
>church last saturday and MOST of my pictures are
>underexposed. Most of the lights inside church are 70%
>fluorescent and 30% incandescent. As follows i´m including
>some of my camera setup and SB800 in iTTL.
>pic #1
>lens 35-70 2.8 AF-D
>Focal lenght - 70mm
>Exposure - M
>Metering Multi pattern
>1/40 sec. F 3.2
>ISO 400
>Exp comp. 0EV
>White Bal. Auto -2
>AF-C
>Front curtain
>SB800 iTTL
>pic #2
>all the same except:
>focal lenght 35mm
>1/15 sec. f.2.8
>ISO 250
>I´m I doing something wrong?? Do I miss something?? I would
>like to hear some comments and sugestions if possible!!
>Maybe overexpose around 1EV in my camera??
>Thanks so much for any comments!
>Sorry but I cannot post any picture(i´m not a silver member
>yet)
>Cheers from Brazil
>Antonio
---------------------------------------

At 1/15 2.8 with ISO 250 and the previous pic at 1/40 F 3.2 & ISO 400 rear curatin sync will not be the primary reason of underexposure, although it will contibute to the overall ambient lighting & background.

Commonly in a church (although they vary in ambient light) I use F 4 to F 5 @ 1/30th to 1/60th shutter speed with ISO 400 and TTL SB800 and get fine results, including nice backgrounds. 1/30th always on a tripod & this picks the background up nicely.

The flash EV at zero compensation can contribute to your underexposure, BUT w/out knowing more did you possibly meter on a white dress or similar light area that could have effected your metering thus contributing to the underexposure? Or was there a window light or similar behind the subject causing a backlit situation that your meter picked up? If so, for example when I meter a bride sometimes I spot meter her face for a reading then I set & always use manual (my personal preference) This all speculation as only you saw where the shot was taken.

This is a little puzzling unless it was really a dark church etc as 1/40 at F3.2 and ISO 400 would normally be fine to use, along with the SB800 for a little extra kick. I am surprised that this exposure setiing is yielding 1 stop underexposure unless you had a situation as described in the above paragraph somehow effecting you rexposure based on how & where you metered the shots.

DL Cleve, Oh

www.lorenzopics.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23806 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.