Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23558
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-800 + SB-600 or SU-800 + 2 SB-600s?" Previous topic | Next topic
Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Wed 30-May-07 03:19 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-800 + SB-600 or SU-800 + 2 SB-600s?"

US

OK, I'm sure some of you are getting pretty sick of me. Unfortunately money is tight and I have to make good decisions.

I have decided I'm going to go the CLS route with 2 strobes and modifiers (probably umbrellas). 90% of my shooting is product shots with the remainder fun stuff.

I own an SB-600 already and was planning on the SB-800 as commander. However, I started wondering if an SU-800 with an additional SB-600 wouldn't be smarter. Other than the slight power advantage of the SB-800, this combination (the 600s & the SU-800)would give me more control, better range and almost the same light output.

Any comments on my thinking here?

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DWGimages Moderator Awarded for his skills and knowledge in various areas, including Nude Photography Nikonian since 02nd Sep 2003Wed 30-May-07 07:59 PM
6138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-800 + SB-600 or SU-800 + 2 SB-600s?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

I would suggest that you go for the SU-800 + SB-600 combination.

This lends itself to more flexibility (both lights can be off camera) and uniform equipment (2 SB-600). The second point isn't so important but I do prefer to use like equipment so that is my preference. There is less thinking involved when trying to set both lights up as they work identically.

Also, I think you mentioned in another threat that you were looking at the Impact umbrella kit at B&H ($98); this is what I just purchased myself for much the same reason you are - product shots (and portraiture). I went with 2 SB-800s as my D200 can handle commander duty.

I've used this set up a couple of times already and it works nicely for me. Not a bad product for the price.

Dave

"You, you and you … Panic. The rest of you, come with me."
~U.S. Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt.~

** The Moderators Page ~ My Nikonians Gallery ~ My Web Site ~ Sacramento, CA Area Chapter Gallery **

Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004Wed 30-May-07 10:38 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-800 + SB-600 or SU-800 + 2 SB-600s?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Dave,

Thanks for the input. Other than the moderate extra expense (well, gross really, the SU-800 is over priced!), I can't think of a reason not to do this. It seems that cost wise and functionality wise, 2 SB-600s plus the SU-800 would simply be better all around than the SB-800/SB-600 combination. I really like the idea of the extended range and lack of pre-flash when using the SU-600. Furthermore, it seems pretty much every time I read about CLS, at least on some of the better websites, no one is using the SB-800 at full power for studio like lighting, so I shouldn't be gicving up much by going with the 600's.

As for the modifiers, yes I am looking at the Impact set-up. With the extra I'm thinking of spending on the SU-800, I think I opt to save some on the modifiers. Though the Amvona UmbrelSoft II Softbox Umbrellas have me mightily tempted.

As for the D200, I was actually considering selling my D70s and getting a D200 to save money on the commander! That's just nuts though, especially since I don't have the money.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Wed 30-May-07 10:41 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-800 + SB-600 or SU-800 + 2 SB-600s?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

John,

I love the SU-800 and originally got it for use with a D70.
However, if money is tight an SB-800 on an SC-28 sync cord is a slightly cheaper alternative and gets both flashes off camera and in different Groups.

Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23558 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.