Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23519
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600" Previous topic | Next topic
diegonyc Registered since 31st Oct 2006Tue 29-May-07 06:06 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600"

Hey guys,

Here's my dilemma... I want to get into off-camera flash photography and my biggest issue with the d80 and my sb600 is that when in commander mode, i have a hard time AFing undew low-light conditions. I have the option to enable the AF assist light on the d80 but it's a very harsh light. I really do not like it at all.
I know my options are to either buy the sc-29, which has it's own red AF assist beam which is easier on the eyes for my subjects or there is the SU-800 which is the same thing but wireless for 3 times the amount of money. If im going to spend that much for wireless, i might as well get another speedlight (sb-800).
Now my question is, if I do get the SB800 speedlight and use that on camera as a master and use the sb600 as slave, will the sb-800 still fire a flash in order to communicate with the slave? im trying to avoid another pre-flash from firing from the camera. all i want is the red beam to help me AF easier under low light conditions. the sc-29 will help me do that but it's not wireless.
i hope i didn't confuse u guys...
any help would be appreciated!

-Diego

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 29-May-07 06:58 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

The SC 29 cord is a good solution for low light on a bracket.

The SB 600 should have a dark red focus light which should also work.

The SB 800 is can be used but the signal is visible.

The SU 800 is a infra red signal.

ledmun

sitbonzo Registered since 02nd Jun 2007Sat 02-Jun-07 06:16 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

have a look at www.strobist.com

you wont regret it.

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Tue 05-Jun-07 05:11 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using 2 speedlights: sb800 & off camera sb600"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

>Now my question is, if I do get the SB800 speedlight and use that on camera as a master and use the sb600 as slave, will the sb-800 still fire a flash in order to communicate with the slave? im trying to avoid another pre-flash from firing from the camera.<

Depends, if your doing TTL or using Nikons CLS then pre-flashes are your way of life. The more flashes the more chatty they get. The only way around that is to go manual mode, set your exposures manually (no CLS or TTL) and figure out how to trip them (optical or RF).

 all i want is the red beam to help me AF easier under low light conditions. the sc-29 will help me do that but it's not wireless.<

I think your over thinking your problem. If all you want is a red beam to help your camera focus then buy just that. Purchase some cheap toy laser that creates an “X” and attach it to your camera with tape/Velcro. What you REALLY are trying to get is something that creates a line of contrast the sensor can pick up on. Have you considered just a regular flashlight with a red filter or other such shenanigins? Maybe even a dim desk lamp off to the side so its not in the subjects eyes but not bright enough to affect exposure?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23519 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.