nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #235
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?" Previous topic | Next topic
clutch Basic MemberMon 13-Aug-01 05:02 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"

As a beginner in photography I own a low end N60 Nikon. A month ago I called B&H and asked for assistance in selecting a flash that would fit my amateurs needs.

I brought up the Sunpak 4000 for it's price, Less than $120 I think. The guy says it a good flash, I say how about the 300, then he tells me about all the auto features and the LCD display the 4000 has over the 3000. I asked if this flash would outperform my built in and if all the functions would operate with my N60 camera and the guy said "yes" to all. So I order the flash based on the recommendation and because at the time I could not ante up for the SB28.

Well my first roll (Kodak Royal 400, Nikkor 28-105) came out like crap, first few photos were blue! the rest looked underexposed. Well, on the second roll the on-camera flash did a better job of "fill flashing" than the Sunpak 4000.

Secondly, none of the displays on the LCD panel really work. There is no distance reading, the manual (which BTW is by far the worst written manual I have ever read) indicates this works with most Nikon lenses, well it doesn't work with my 28-105D, or the 85-f/1.8 D type lens. These lenses are great, it doesn't work with these?! Are these lenses ancient?

Thirdly, the autozoom mode, regardless of my zoom range the flash indicated "Auto 35mm" all of the time. I don't even hear the zoom head function unless I set in manually.

When I decided to return the lens the B&H guys told me it was past the 14 period and to call Sunpak. Somehow I feel misled by their recommendation.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
13th Aug 2001
jnscbl
13th Aug 2001
clutch
14th Aug 2001
clutch
23rd Aug 2001
clutch
23rd Aug 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 13-Aug-01 06:32 AM
35232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Ask for Henry. He'll clear the mess. Of course you should return it.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberMon 13-Aug-01 03:06 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ask all these questions about compatibility HERE before you order another flash. The N60 does NOT support all the SB28's features. The N60 does not provide flash compensation, automatic zooming, nor communicate much with the flash beyond the film speed. I'm not familiar with the particular Sunpak flash you have, but I have their best manual flash and their cheapest TTL flash, and they perform flawlessly. I assume you monitor the flash symbol in the viewfinder when using flash, so that you will notice if it blinks after the shot.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

clutch Basic MemberTue 14-Aug-01 07:07 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"
In response to Reply # 1

JRP....Thanks for the suggestion.

I talked to Henry, all is well, the flash is going back, God bless that man and B&H.

I'll search the site now before asking "which flash for my N60". But I'm leaning towards SB26 (thanks for the tip) with a mind to upgrade to a N80 or F100 in the near future.

Thanks again all.

clutch Basic MemberThu 23-Aug-01 03:42 AM
#4. "RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"
In response to Reply # 3

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-01 AT 04:44 AM (GMT)

The story continues.........I spoke too soon.

I got a call from a guy at B&H return department this morning. The return tech tells me the flash I returned was badly scratched and showed very high usage and it would be returned back to me.

WTF!? I used the flash for 2 rolls (50% flash), all the flash pics came out shitty, and I put the flash back in the original box (7 days from receiving the flash). Just before sending out the flash I re-opened the package to make sure all the contents were included and that the product was not scratched up. I re-checked everything because I promised Henry that the lens was good as new...and it was.

First off they sell me a flash that doesn't work with my camera (B&H sales person suggestion no less). Secondly, they call me a liar! Badly scratched!? I have bought new and used camera equipment, albeit I'm an amateur, I know a scratched product when I see one.

My mistakes were a) developing the 2 rolls of film very late, beyond the B&H 14 day return policy b) accepting the initial "can't take it back" response from B&H. Actually my first mistake was not searching this site.

Well, the flash is being shipped back to me and I'm very curious to see the condition it arrives in. If I see new scratches on the flash or don't see any at all, it's war!!!!

Please don't post "I've never had any problems with B&H"; I hadn't either until this incident.

BTW…I exchanged one of my Nikkor macro lenses for an SB26 with a gentleman from Nikonians.com. Anyone need a Sunpak 4000? Hardly used!

Thanks for the open ears.

clutch Basic MemberThu 23-Aug-01 03:47 AM
#5. "RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-01 AT 04:48 AM (GMT)

Correction to my first post....It had been longer than a month ago that I purchased this flash, it has now been 3 months. I initially called around 30 days after the purchase, then last week to Henry.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #235 Previous topic | Next topic