nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?

clutch

21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
clutch Basic Member
Mon 13-Aug-01 04:02 AM

As a beginner in photography I own a low end N60 Nikon. A month ago I called B&H and asked for assistance in selecting a flash that would fit my amateurs needs.

I brought up the Sunpak 4000 for it's price, Less than $120 I think. The guy says it a good flash, I say how about the 300, then he tells me about all the auto features and the LCD display the 4000 has over the 3000. I asked if this flash would outperform my built in and if all the functions would operate with my N60 camera and the guy said "yes" to all. So I order the flash based on the recommendation and because at the time I could not ante up for the SB28.

Well my first roll (Kodak Royal 400, Nikkor 28-105) came out like crap, first few photos were blue! the rest looked underexposed. Well, on the second roll the on-camera flash did a better job of "fill flashing" than the Sunpak 4000.

Secondly, none of the displays on the LCD panel really work. There is no distance reading, the manual (which BTW is by far the worst written manual I have ever read) indicates this works with most Nikon lenses, well it doesn't work with my 28-105D, or the 85-f/1.8 D type lens. These lenses are great, it doesn't work with these?! Are these lenses ancient?

Thirdly, the autozoom mode, regardless of my zoom range the flash indicated "Auto 35mm" all of the time. I don't even hear the zoom head function unless I set in manually.

When I decided to return the lens the B&H guys told me it was past the 14 period and to call Sunpak. Somehow I feel misled by their recommendation.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sunpak 4000 for N60....Mistake?

G