nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I already own an SB-600, add SB-800 or buy strobes?

Abouna

US
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Abouna Registered since 30th Jul 2004
Mon 28-May-07 02:10 AM

I posted this in the Portrait forum but just realized it should probably go here, so I'm reposting.

---------------

Right now, I'm thinking (assuming?) an additional SB-800 plus some modifiers (small soft boxes?) would be cheaper and maybe more versatile than say a pair of Aliens. Comments?

A while back I sold my older studio lights (a big Norman set). They were too cumbersome, two strobes with umbrellas (I prefer soft boxes) and a back (hair) light.

I dumped that system not only because it was too cumbersome but also because I never shoot portraits. I opted instead for a DYI halogen set with PVC white square diffusers. Kind of a big downgrade in technology. I do however like "hot" lights instead of modeling lights. I like to see what I'm getting.

My problem is this. I regularly do a fair amount of product shots for our website. I'm getting pretty tired of the PVC DYI stuff and the "hot" part of hot lights. I was considering picking up some decent soft boxes, stands with fluorescent lights.

On the other hand, maybe some soft boxes, stands and CLS would be lighter, easier and just better. I already have an SB-600. Maybe if I picked an 800 I could make a handy little set-up. Yes, I'd be back to using modeling lights (I think the 800 has one, no?), but the benefits may change my mind.

I'm pretty lost though and would like some direction.

-----
FJ
www.benchcrafted.com

G