Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23483
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is in us" Previous topic | Next topic
adagosto Registered since 03rd May 2007Sun 27-May-07 02:34 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is in us"

Fountain Hills, US

Hello.

I noticed that while using the D80 with a SB600 (powered on and mounted on the body), Program Auto was deactivated. I could not select a different program for exposure. If I turned the SL off, the Program feature would work again.

Why is the system designed this way? I have not checked but is the same true in A mode and S mode?

I would like to be able to vary the DOF while still using the SL for fill flash. Can this be done a different way?

Thanks,

Adam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Sun 27-May-07 12:44 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is i"
In response to Reply # 0

Pollock Pines, US

Programmed Auto is designed to balance shutter speed with aperature, and shift one up while the orther down.

With Flash... it is only about aperture unless you are in slow or rear curtain mode... so the shutter speed is set to 1/60 by default.

Both A and M will allow you to vary aperture settings. The flash will still expose correctly automatically, provided it has enough output for the distance and aperture you have set.

HTH

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 28-May-07 01:55 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is i"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Since no one has answered.

It does not work that way on the D70 with SB 800 and from what little experience I have with the D200 either.

ledmun

adagosto Registered since 03rd May 2007Tue 29-May-07 10:38 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is i"
In response to Reply # 1

Fountain Hills, US

That is hugely helpful. Thank you very much.

Adam

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 30-May-07 12:59 AM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why is Program Auto deactivated when the SB600 is i"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hello.
>
>I noticed that while using the D80 with a SB600 (powered on
>and mounted on the body), Program Auto was deactivated. I
>could not select a different program for exposure. If I
>turned the SL off, the Program feature would work again.
>
>Why is the system designed this way? I have not checked but
>is the same true in A mode and S mode?
>
>I would like to be able to vary the DOF while still using
>the SL for fill flash. Can this be done a different way?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam

The P mode works just fine on the D70 and on the D200 when using flash. In fact, when I need fill flash outdoors and I don't have time to set the camera up in manual, I just select P mode and let the camera handle it. The camera picks what it thinks is the best shutter and aperture. If you are indoors in dim light, the camera will do it's best to bring out the background but it can never go below the minimum flash speed you have set in the custom menus, so that is why it stays on 1/60th - that's what you have set in the menus as the minimum flash shutter. The aperture that it picks in dim light is usually about one stop smaller than wide open to reduce the softening you get on some lenses when wide open.

Are you sure it doesn't work like this on the D80? Try pointing it toward a light and watch what happens to the shutter speed and aperture.

Also take it outdoors and try it. I bet the shutter speed will go to the other end of the allowable speeds, the flash sync speed. Flash sync speed is 1/500th on my D70 and 1/250th on my D200. You can't change that. I bet the the aperture will also close down outdoors with the flash on.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #23483 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.