Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22893
View in linear mode

Subject: "The SB850?" Previous topic | Next topic
9W2ZEK Registered since 21st Sep 2006Sat 28-Apr-07 01:29 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The SB850?"

hi, i'm from malaysia, our dealer here, the sb800 out of stock and rumor that the sb850 coming! it's true?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The SB850?
esantos Moderator
28th Apr 2007
9W2ZEK
28th Apr 2007
jdbower Gold Member
28th Apr 2007
HBB Moderator
28th Apr 2007
Solutions Etcetera
29th Apr 2007
HBB Moderator
28th Apr 2007
bens0472
30th Apr 2007
HBB Moderator
30th Apr 2007
bens0472
30th Apr 2007
edmun
30th Apr 2007
HBB Moderator
30th Apr 2007
edmun
01st May 2007
HBB Moderator
01st May 2007
jdbower Gold Member
01st May 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
01st May 2007
RossF
03rd May 2007
ScottChapin Moderator
03rd May 2007
bens0472
03rd May 2007
Solutions Etcetera
03rd May 2007

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 28-Apr-07 02:22 PM
11487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Of course it's true, I just bought two SB-800's, I now own three. That guarantees that a new model is coming.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

9W2ZEK Registered since 21st Sep 2006Sat 28-Apr-07 02:37 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 1

hi esantos, thanks for reply!
it's great! do u know when its coming?
if u have a news..

just survey and planning to get sb800, now have to change mind
tq

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Sat 28-Apr-07 08:22 PM
3141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 2

New York, US

I believe Ernesto was kidding (and perhaps a little bitter about his purchase of a LightSphere causing Gary to release an updated version ). Personally, until I see it on the Nikon site it's not real enough for me to make a decision on - my SB-800 will still work just as well the day after it's replaced in the lineup as it did the day before. Besides, with my luck I'd postpone an SB-800 purchase only to find out that the SB-850 only supports iTTL-2 and won't work with the current generation's CLS.

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 28-Apr-07 09:41 PM
8412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Jeff:

An incompatible CLS-II or iTTL-II would be a real disappointment in my book. I hope Nikon realizes just how long it has taken, and continues to take, to get people into CLS with one or two strobes.

The personal computer industry slowly learned the value of forward compatibility. Let's hope the camera industry does the same, only faster.

I suspect we all know there will be a new version ... some day. What it will look like is anybody's guess. I have my wish list.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Sun 29-Apr-07 01:05 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 5

Pollock Pines, US

>An incompatible CLS-II or iTTL-II would be a real
>disappointment in my book.

Nikon's flashes have already beed a big disappointment in my book. While I understand why my SB25 and 28 won't work in TTL on my digital body... I am perfectly happy with them in 'A' mode.

EXCEPT Nikon decided to completely change the way the camera communicates with the flash so I have to adjust changes in f/stop and iso manually. Would this have been that tough to support... doubtful.

Seems Nikon has already let us know "while your older lenses will still be usable on a new body when your old one reaches the end of its 3 year life cycle... but your flash units will not".

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 28-Apr-07 05:13 PM
8412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Colleagues:

If this is true, I will be ready to help anybody thinking about increasing their herd of SB800s.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

bens0472 Basic MemberMon 30-Apr-07 01:56 PM
819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Hmmm...interesting.

After reading through this, I started searching through Nikon's patent filings. Back in 2002, they filed this one, which specifies a wireless flash communications mechanism that seems to function similarly to CLS, but uses radio transmissions to control the strobe units.

It'd be nice to have a flash unit that would operate both as an optical master or remote as well as a radio master or remote and would work with the current generation of CLS compatible flashes and cameras but would supplement their capabilities with radio transmission, ala pocketwizards.

One can dream. An optical/radio transceiver/strobe. What a wonderful world it would be.

Ben

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 30-Apr-07 05:28 PM
#8. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

Ben:

As we have speculated before, a small RF adapter that would fit the SB800 shoe and be completely CLS compatible would be the best of all worlds for me ... for obvious reasons.

Time will tell.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

bens0472 Basic MemberMon 30-Apr-07 05:45 PM
819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 8

Roswell, US

Cheers to that!

Ben

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 30-Apr-07 06:15 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 9

eugene, US

For what its worth -- I would think the number would be 900 for a new flash.

ledmun

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 30-Apr-07 08:35 PM
#11. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 10

Phoenix, US

Ben and Lorin:

With CLS beggining to catch on and more users building herds of CLS compatible units, it would seem a bit odd to come out with a new completely different, incompatible system.

Can't argue with your suggestion Lorin, but all current units are even numbers: 200, 400, 600, 800.

Hoping for the best from Nikon.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 01-May-07 02:26 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 11

eugene, US

I thought about that but 900 is the last 3 digit number and 1000 would be the next 00 product number.

Can not see them using a number lower than 800.

ledmun

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 01-May-07 02:42 AM
#13. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 12

Phoenix, US

Would you settle for 850? (Grin!)

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Tue 01-May-07 09:59 AM
3141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 13

New York, US

I could see an 850 for a nominally SB-800 with the addition of an RF commander mode (preferably a mixed-mode RF/IR commander...). If the previous generation was an SB-80DX then maybe we'd be looking at an SB-8000 for the next full generation. Either way we're probably getting ahead of ourselves based on one rumor by a store owner as to why he doesn't have any in stock (and why it's not worth looking elsewhere for them)

While Nikon hasn't had a stellar reputation in the past for flash compatibility across generations, my understanding is that the current CLS/iTTL may be the first time the technology is actually worth preserving.

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 01-May-07 10:23 AM
8044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 14

Powder Springs, US

Just give me radio iTTL and I'm in like flint. It will be an SB800RS (for radio slave). I can dream can't I?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

RossF Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 03-May-07 06:36 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 15

Screw wireless TTL

I used to use Nikon's CLS all the time, aside from the misfires due to the optical ttl, TTL itself wirelessly will often yield inconsistent exposures. If you want the right exposure every time, get a set of pocketwizards (or other radio transmitters), I'm in love with them now. You don't need a flash meter, set your flash on manual and take a few test shots then check the display. After you get the hang of it's very easy to predict the power...and you get the same exposure, every single time.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 03-May-07 08:05 AM
8044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 16

Powder Springs, US

I have 2 Pocket Wizard receivers and 2 transmitters that I use with my Sunpak 120Js. When I'm shooting large groups all day long under varying lighting conditions, I don't want to muck with exposure checks per se.

I'm doing what you suggest more or less now, and I want to eliminate that.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

bens0472 Basic MemberThu 03-May-07 11:44 AM
#18. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 15

Roswell, US

Heck, I don't even care all that much about Radio iTTL. Just give me the current manual commander mode via RF. I think just having the ability to do manual output adjustments from a single commander and have those instructions transmitted to the strobes via RF is the cat's meow.

Someone keep me honest here...this is not possible with PW's, right?

Ben

Solutions Etcetera Registered since 21st Jun 2006Thu 03-May-07 12:01 PM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: The SB850?"
In response to Reply # 18

Pollock Pines, US

>Someone keep me honest here...this is not possible with
>PW's, right?

Nope... but it IS possible with the new Elinchrom Skyport... If you use Elinchrom strobes.

As much as folks swoon over CLS... I, like you, would just prefer a good wireless triggerable/controllable setup... and one that doesn't go incompatible/obsolete every 5 years.

If the Elinchrom stuff was portable, battery operated, and a bit cheaper, I would go with it in a heartbeat.

Scott Simon

Solutions Etcetera
http://www.solutionsetcetera.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22893 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.