nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22499
View in linear mode

Subject: "SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power" Previous topic | Next topic
Agent360 Registered since 13th Aug 2006Thu 12-Apr-07 09:01 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power"

Hello,

I have two D70s cameras and one sb-800 flash and the SC-29 off shoot cord. All bought brand new.

My set up:
D70s, 18-70mm lens, turbo compact battery, stroboframe, sc-29 cord. Rig is assembled correctly. All cords are connected correctly and securly.

My problem:
The sb-800 WILL NOT fire correctly with the SC-29 cord attatched. I have tested and tested. Initially I thought I had a leaky capacitor in the sb-800. Reterned it. Got a new one. Same problem. No matter what setting...auto or manual or otherwise the flash will not fire with enough power to properly expose the subject. I simply get a very dark under exposed image. Hook the sb-800 directly to the camera hot shoe and it works perfectly. Use the cord and no worky.
Test the same set up with my second camera and I have the same problem. I borrowed another sc-29 cord from a friend and the same dam thing happens. I also tested without using the turbo. Same thing happens. And I have tried all of the above with 3 different lenses ( nikon and sigma). Still no worky if the cord is attached.

Conclusion:
The sb-800 is working correcly when attached to the camera hot shoe. Rules out the sb-800 as the problem.
Test with another known working sc-29 cord and same problem occures.
Test on my second camera and same thing happens. Rules out the camera being defective.

What in the heck is going on???????????

I am not having any focus problems.

I set the flash to manual 1/1 (full power) and the camera to manual and auto trying to force a full manual situation just to see if I can shoot an over exposed image with the flash. Camera shoots, Flash fires and the exposure is black in auto. Go to manual set a correct shutter/aperture for proper exposure with ambient light and flash to manual at full power.....no worky. It seems the flash is only firing a pre flash.

I push the test fire button on the flash and it fires at full output.

I have brand new batteries in the flash unit and fully charged turbo.

I can only conclude that there is some mysterious setting on the camera that I need to set. Except that I have been shooting with my camera for 3 years and know every freaken setting and how it works. Read every single page in the manual. Shot in every type of lighting. I can do amazning things "without" a flash.

I am so frustrated. I am now doing portraits and I can't do this without the flash.

Any help is very very much appreciated.

Agent360

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 13-Apr-07 01:36 AM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Troy:

I have been unable to duplicate your problem using my SC-29 cord and an SB800 on a D2X body. The SB800 fires every time no matter how I have it configured relative to the SC-29. The image will be underexposed if the off-camera SB800 is pointed in a different direction than the camera lens, but the SB800 is firing.

Can you tell us exactly how the camera, SB800 and SC-29 cable are configured? The SC-29 has a small switch for turning its autofocus assist light on and off. How is this switch set also? I no longer shoot with D70 bodies so cannot offer much help in that area concerning possible parameters that may be affecting your results.

Where is the SB800 pointed when connected to the SC-29? Do you have any diffusers or wide flash adapters in place? Also, which metering mode are you using in this configuration: spot, center weighted or matrix?

To see if the SB800 is firing both a shutter closed preflash and a shutter open exposure pulse, place you camera on a tripod and set it to a six second time exposure at some aperture, say F/5.6. Then set the strobe synch to rear curtain. Place the SB800 in the hot shoe for this test. If you are getting a preflash and image flash, you should see both of them, approximately six seconds apart.

Then try the same thing with the SC-29 cord in the system, pointing the SB800 in the same direction as if it were still on the camera. You should see similar results.

Without a bit more information, I can go no farther for the moment.

Let us know if this gets you any closer to a solution.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Exposure1 Registered since 08th May 2006Fri 13-Apr-07 02:43 AM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Are you sure when you mount the SC 29 to the flash, that the connection is tight without any looseness at that connection?

DL Cleve, Oh

www.lorenzopics.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Agent360 Registered since 13th Aug 2006Fri 13-Apr-07 04:34 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power"
In response to Reply # 2

HBB,

Thanks for the help. I am doing some testing as you describe today to see if I am getting only a preflash. I'll post back later tonight.

All connections are secure. This is one of the first things I checked. I also checked the connection pins to make sure they were all making contact. I even used another sc-29 from a friend and the same thing happend.

I will post all my camera settings. Mabey there is something there I am missing.

I really appreciate the help as I must solve this soon. I have clients booked. arrrrgggggggg.

Troy

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006Fri 13-Apr-07 05:55 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SC-S9 & SB-800 - Flash not firing at full power"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Do you have access to an older cord like perhaps a SC-17 or some similar one, nothing but a parallel connector.

Yes I realize this makes no apparent sense, but you seemed to have eliminated the flash and both camera bodies as the culprit, so what else is left.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22499 Previous topic | Next topic