nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22010
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightsphere II Clear" Previous topic | Next topic
akhhorus24   Toronto, CA  Registered since 21st May 2006 Thu 22-Mar-07 02:40 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightsphere II Clear"

Hi

I was wondering if there is anyone here who uses a light sphere in conjunction with their SB-800. I could really use some help.

I am shooting with a D50 and 18-200VR in matrix mode in conjunction with my sb800 in TTL mode. When using this set up with the light sphere II and bouncing, I am am finding that most of my shots are underexposed. It seems that following gary fongs instructions on his dvd are giving me pretty poor and inconsistant results. In fact it seems the only way I can get correct exposure is to pump the iso up above 800. Any test shots I have tried have been at home with low cellings and the fairly close subject matter.

I plan to shoot a retirement dinner at a banquet hall next month and would really like any advice anyone could provide me with this thing.

Thanks

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear MetalBirdMedia
22nd Mar 2007
Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear vossman
22nd Mar 2007
Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
23rd Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear akhhorus24
23rd Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
23rd Mar 2007
23rd Mar 2007
23rd Mar 2007
23rd Mar 2007
24th Mar 2007
24th Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear Kapuhy
26th Mar 2007
28th Mar 2007
Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear MetalBirdMedia
23rd Mar 2007
24th Mar 2007
     Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear Thunder
07th Apr 2007
07th Apr 2007
          Reply message RE: Lightsphere II Clear Exposure1
07th Apr 2007
07th Apr 2007
07th Apr 2007
08th Apr 2007

MetalBirdMedia   US  Registered since 12th Oct 2006 Thu 22-Mar-07 05:23 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 0

The Lightsphere really cuts down on the power of the flash. What I found (and was told) is to set the SB-800 to A mode (not AA but just single A, if you are not getting it then go into the flashes menu and change it to A) and dont use TTL. And with the camera in manual (5.6 @400 iso) it comes out perfectly exposed up to a distance of about 10'. At 15' I have to bump up the flash by a full stop. Beyond 15' the lightsphere is useless and I use the stock diffuser that came with the flash. But for close range I love the sphere and the light it gives off. Dont follow Fongs instructions because they are inconsistent. I always shoot with the sphere pointing straight up and the dome is always on. But the key for me was to not use TTL and use the Single A auto mode. I hope that helps, at least worth a try.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vossman   US  Registered since 14th May 2006 Thu 22-Mar-07 07:10 PM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the cloud version as I posted in another thread and MBM's finding are right on the $$, I was using TTL or TTL/BL but results were almost the same. Past 12 feet I was hanging in the breeze.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 23-Mar-07 02:30 AM
6044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 1

>The Lightsphere really cuts down on the power of the flash.
>What I found (and was told) is to set the SB-800 to A mode
>(not AA but just single A, if you are not getting it then go
>into the flashes menu and change it to A) and dont use TTL.
>And with the camera in manual (5.6 @400 iso) it comes out
>perfectly exposed up to a distance of about 10'. At 15' I
>have to bump up the flash by a full stop. Beyond 15' the
>lightsphere is useless and I use the stock diffuser that
>came with the flash. But for close range I love the sphere
>and the light it gives off. Dont follow Fongs instructions
>because they are inconsistent. I always shoot with the
>sphere pointing straight up and the dome is always on. But
>the key for me was to not use TTL and use the Single A auto
>mode. I hope that helps, at least worth a try.

I use a Light Sphere with my SB-800 all the time, but I have never tried it in A mode. I usually use it in TTL with the dome straight up. I also use the Chrome Dome insert to help direct more light forward. Here are some pics from a recent bridal shoot, using the light sphere: http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/gallery/2589777#136488310

What, exactly, is using the 'A' mode supposed to buy you?

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

akhhorus24   Toronto, CA  Registered since 21st May 2006 Fri 23-Mar-07 03:30 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 3

Wow your wedding shots are right on the money! Perfect exposure and amazing lighting. Perfectly balanced and so soft. Were you dragging the shutter? I have an index card from fong that suggest setting manual mode with an aperature of f5.6 and and a shutter speed of about 1/60 flash straight up and set to ttl. I have not tried with anything other then av mode. I would love to know how you are getting those results.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 23-Mar-07 09:35 AM
6044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 4

>Wow your wedding shots are right on the money! Perfect
>exposure and amazing lighting. Perfectly balanced and so
>soft. Were you dragging the shutter?

Thanks!! No, I wasn't dragging the shutter. I was using the camera in manual mode with f/3.5 or f/2.8 and 1/60th sec, ISO200, TTL, and matrix metering. Since there was quite a bit of soft ambient light coming in the windows, I was setting the flash to about -1.5 EV to balance with the ambient. I determined that amount of compensation by using the histogram and blinking highlights screens on the camera. Actually, you can see my camera settings for each picture if you hover over the large image and click on the 'i' that pops up.

>I have an index card
>from fong that suggest setting manual mode with an aperature
>of f5.6 and and a shutter speed of about 1/60 flash straight
>up and set to ttl. I have not tried with anything other then
>av mode. I would love to know how you are getting those
>results.

What is AV mode? Aperture? I sometimes use that mode as well.

I normally do not shoot at f/5.6, because it forces the flash to work so hard and runs down the flash batteries more quickly. I usually shoot at f/3.5 or f/2.8. In fact, I bought my pro lenses mainly to get f/2.8 with minimum distortion and softening.

I like to use camera manual mode rather than Aperture, because then the shutter speed doesn't vary, and all the shots looke the same. It simplifies post processing if the shots are all exposed the same.

Here are some more pics where I was using my Light Sphere as the primary lighting with very low ambient: http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/gallery/2509432#132266334

Again, I was using the camera in manual mode, f/2.8, 1/60th or 1/80th shutter to keep the background about two stops below the subject, and TTL. Notice that in these pics the lighting is not as soft as in the bridal pics, because of the lack of soft ambient light, and the lack of a low ceiling to boince from. The Light Sphere helps in this case mainly by bouncing off everything around you - ie, people, walls, pillars, etc. The direct light from the sphere to the subject is not soft as you can see by the shadow whenever there is a wall behind the subject, and I was shooting vertical.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 23-Mar-07 10:22 AM
#6. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 5

Actually, I noticed was using aperture priority on most of my bridal pics.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

akhhorus24   Toronto, CA  Registered since 21st May 2006 Fri 23-Mar-07 01:43 PM
#8. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 6

It appears you are shooting in aperature priority most of the time. I noticed you are shooting iso 200 in the wedding shots but using iso 1000 in the second set. Why the difference? Also it says in the exif data that you have up to 2/6 ev compensation dialed in in most of the wedding shots? Did you have any ev comp dialed in? your shots are all great but I would prefer to use as low an iso as possible.

I guess it would be good to arrive a bit early and try a few test shots.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 23-Mar-07 03:10 PM
#9. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 8

>It appears you are shooting in aperature priority most of
>the time.

I usually shoot in manual for party shots. I don't know why I was in aperture that day. Of course, it doesn't matter when the slowest flash shutter speed is what you want. I generally keep my flash shutter speed set to 1/60, and indoors the camera will automatically set itself to that speed when using aperture mode. When I shoot in manual, I usually set the shutter to either 1/60 or 1/80 and f/2.8. So, it ends up the same.

>I noticed you are shooting iso 200 in the wedding
>shots but using iso 1000 in the second set. Why the
>difference? Also it says in the exif data that you have up
>to 2/6 ev compensation dialed in in most of the wedding
>shots? Did you have any ev comp dialed in? your shots are
>all great but I would prefer to use as low an iso as
>possible.

The reason I used 1000 in the first of the party pics was that they couldn't get all the room lights to work, and I wanted some background illumination. Later they got all the lights to work and I dropped back to 200 (or 100, can't remember). I batched all those ISO 1000 pics with noise ninja, and you can't tell there ever was any noise. Noise Ninja is a great piece of software. I sometimes use it's built-in unsharp mask for sharpening as well.

The 2/6 ev is because my camera normally underexposes by 0.3 ev. I keep that set on my camera most of the time.

I vary the flash comp all the time while I shoot. It all depends on the situation. When there is lots of ambient, like the bridal shots, I set the flash to -1.5 or so. In the party shots,where there is no ambient to speak of, I usually set it between -.3 and +.7 ev.

I shot the party pics in jpeg and the bridals in raw.

>I guess it would be good to arrive a bit early and try a few
>test shots.

Yes, absolutely critical to do this!

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

akhhorus24   Toronto, CA  Registered since 21st May 2006 Sat 24-Mar-07 03:17 AM
#10. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 9

Ok thanks for the help! You have given me a few good pointers to get me started. I guess its going to take some experimentation to learn how to get it right every time. Your pictures are amazing. Seems like you have a good command of how to make fongs little invention work to its maximum potential. I'll just have to get out there and try it out.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 24-Mar-07 09:10 AM
#12. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 10

>Ok thanks for the help! You have given me a few good
>pointers to get me started. I guess its going to take some
>experimentation to learn how to get it right every time.
>Your pictures are amazing. Seems like you have a good
>command of how to make fongs little invention work to its
>maximum potential. I'll just have to get out there and try
>it out.

Thanks for the compliment!

I should mention that most of the photographers who work in our studio use the Light Sphere for weddings and parties. However, it is not magic. You have to recognize that it just helps spread the light out a little and works the best when there is a low white ceiling. It uses lots of battery power compared to a simple dome, and it will definitely cast a shadow when shooting vertical with a wall behind and to the right of the subject. We have lots of problems with shadows at the cake cutting, because they love to set it up with a wall right behind. I still use a flash bracket (or an umbrella if practical) for that situation. That or available light are the only good ways to get rid of the shadow.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Kapuhy   Jelenia Gora, PL  Registered since 08th Jan 2007 Mon 26-Mar-07 12:49 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 3

>I use a Light Sphere with my SB-800 all the time, but I have
>never tried it in A mode. I usually use it in TTL with the
>dome straight up. I also use the Chrome Dome insert to help
>direct more light forward. Here are some pics from a recent
>bridal shoot, using the light sphere:
>http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/gallery/2589777#136488310

Russ,

Is this the cloud or the clear version of Light Sphere that you use? I need a good diffuser for my SB-600 and because it has less power than SB-800 I am wondering which version is better for me. I suppose the Chrome Dome makes difference here in directing the light but they say not to use it with clear Light Sphere.

Artur

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Wed 28-Mar-07 09:18 PM
#14. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 13

>>I use a Light Sphere with my SB-800 all the time, but I have
>>never tried it in A mode. I usually use it in TTL with the
>>dome straight up. I also use the Chrome Dome insert to help
>>direct more light forward. Here are some pics from a recent
>>bridal shoot, using the light sphere:
>>http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/gallery/2589777#136488310
>
>Russ,
>
>Is this the cloud or the clear version of Light Sphere that
>you use? I need a good diffuser for my SB-600 and because it
>has less power than SB-800 I am wondering which version is
>better for me. I suppose the Chrome Dome makes difference
>here in directing the light but they say not to use it with
>clear Light Sphere.

I use the Cloud LS II.

If I get far enough from my subject that my flash can't provide enough power, then I remove the LS and bounce or use a bounce card or just go direct.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

MetalBirdMedia   US  Registered since 12th Oct 2006 Fri 23-Mar-07 01:20 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 0

"What, exactly, is using the 'A' mode supposed to buy you?"

Honestly I am not exactly sure. I just know it works for me. Using Non-TTL Auto Flash (A mode) gives me great consistent exposures compared to my attempts with TTL mode.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 24-Mar-07 08:55 AM
#11. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 7

>"What, exactly, is using the 'A' mode supposed to buy you?"
>
>Honestly I am not exactly sure. I just know it works for
>me. Using Non-TTL Auto Flash (A mode) gives me great
>consistent exposures compared to my attempts with TTL mode.

Well, I'll try it the next time I get a chance and see how it works for me.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Thunder   Colorado Springs, US  Registered since 09th Oct 2006 Sat 07-Apr-07 01:03 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 11

Russ,

Absolutely awesome advice. You caught me right at the right time. D200, just bought the LS (clear and cloud), I use Smugmug (KenMellottPhotography.smugmug.com) mostly in sports but have been asked to do an event shoot at a car auction competition with good mid size white ceilings. Also have been asked to do a wedding for a friend (sheesh -- I'm worried about that!) and other events here in Colorado Springs.

I use Alien Bee B800's with bounced flash and Pocket Wizard remotes for indoor Basketball, wrestling, etc., but do not know much about on-the-go flash, brackets, etc. I have two SB-800's and also have a SU-800 that I have not used yet except for kids at home, but will soon on some outdoor sports portraits probably.

What bracket do you use? I also have the extra Nikon two-battery, battery pack attached to the bottom (can't remember the name right now) and was thinking of adding a bracket (one that will work with the battery pack) and a SD-8a battery pack for the flash -- your advice?

Do you usually just put the cloud on and bounce up? What if the ceiling is very high -- same? When do you add the dome?

Your help is greatly appreciated Russ!

Ken

Thunder   Colorado Springs, US  Registered since 09th Oct 2006 Sat 07-Apr-07 01:08 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 15

Oh -- and I see your WB is usually on manual. Do you use the ExpoDisc? I have one that I use alot outdoors in sports. With flash as primary indoors -- assume setting flash WB on camera is correct or do yo uset it to the ambient conditions manually? But with ambient primary indoors (my auction shoot has ambient at about 5.6 and 1/160, ISO 500 but light is from above so need fill flash) to get shadows out of faces turned down. Use the WB off the ambient? Help Russ! I'm learning quickly -- but could use some good advice here.

Exposure1   US  Registered since 08th May 2006 Sat 07-Apr-07 01:54 AM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 16

Indoors at a wedding reception hall and in most churches I shoot manual camera mode, shutter speed 1/30 or sometimes 1/60 aperture F 3.5. Flash TTL and when bouncing off a ceiling I start with + 2/3 flash EV. ISO can be 200 or 400. This will give you good results.

If you are in a church (no bounce) within 15 feet of subject I am usually -2/3 flash EV. Of course this varies with flash-subject distance and amount of ambient kight.

In all cases I have the omni diffuser on.

Far as white balance, I find it change. In some light auto is fine, in different light flash setting may be better.

Outdoors with white balance you can use your expo disc, or I have often used auto successfully. You can ry it and check the photo to see if it is too warm/cold and adjust from there.

I mention these things becasue of your comment about doing a wedding. Personally I find a low contrast setting helpful (can boost in post processing & it helps keep high reflectance of white or light colors to a minimum as well)

Good luck

DL Cleve, Oh

www.lorenzopics.com

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 07-Apr-07 10:15 PM
#19. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 16

>Oh -- and I see your WB is usually on manual. Do you use
>the ExpoDisc?

I use the cloud dome from the LS when I want to Preset my WB. It works just as well as the Expo Disk. I just hold it front of the lens pointed toward the light source to do the Preset.

>With flash as primary indoors -- assume setting
>flash WB on camera is correct or do yo uset it to the
>ambient conditions manually? But with ambient primary
>indoors (my auction shoot has ambient at about 5.6 and
>1/160, ISO 500 but light is from above so need fill flash)
>to get shadows out of faces turned down. Use the WB off the
>ambient?

When shooting flash indoors with low ambient I set my WB to Flash. When ambient is high like your auction shoot, I usually use Auto WB and shoot raw. Auto does a pretty good job in mixed flash+ambient lighting situations. But if the Auto WB is not quite right, I can fix it in PP.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 07-Apr-07 10:00 PM
#18. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 15

>Russ,
>
>Absolutely awesome advice. You caught me right at the right
>time. D200, just bought the LS (clear and cloud), I use
>Smugmug (KenMellottPhotography.smugmug.com) mostly in sports
>but have been asked to do an event shoot at a car auction
>competition with good mid size white ceilings. Also have
>been asked to do a wedding for a friend (sheesh -- I'm
>worried about that!) and other events here in Colorado
>Springs.

I looked at your website - nice shots! Many years ago I also shot sports, long before digital. You're going to find a huge difference shooting the wedding! The biggest problem for you will probably be blowing out faces. You might want to shoot raw until you get your exposures figured out.

>What bracket do you use?

I use my StroboFrame 350 only when absolutely necessary (ie, when shooting vertical with a wall to the rear and right). I have to remove my MB-D200 grip and rotate the camera clockwise, both of which I don't like to do. I am thinking about getting a CB Junior which mounts on the right side of the camera so I can rotate counterclockwise for the vertical. I'd sure like a bracket
that I could still use the grip, but I don't think there is one.

>Do you usually just put the cloud on and bounce up? What if
>the ceiling is very high -- same? When do you add the dome?

For high ceilings, I normally use the LS upright with the Chrome Dome installed. That throws enough light forward to expose correctly even when there is no bouncing.

Russ

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Thunder   Colorado Springs, US  Registered since 09th Oct 2006 Sun 08-Apr-07 06:53 PM
#20. "RE: Lightsphere II Clear"
In response to Reply # 18

Thanks guys!

Ken

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #22010 Previous topic | Next topic