Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #21921
View in linear mode

Subject: "yep,, another question" Previous topic | Next topic
barnacle Registered since 29th Aug 2004Mon 19-Mar-07 10:02 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"yep,, another question"

maya beach, BZ

so,,someone explain to me the difference between iTTL, and DTTL.
i have read from one 'critic'{his initials are Ken Rockwell} that DTTL is utterly useless. obviously he is biased towards the latest and greatest. i understand my d100 is obsolete, but really, should i save all my money to make the upgrade?{silly question as i already am saving} i see all the advantages of wireless ttl exposure and while using 12 sb800's, but with all of your help i am sure i can achieve great results,, just not as easy,, right? i just need to learn more of the 'how to-s'

thanks

edit: one more question,, there is no way to get wireless TTL from my sb26,, triggered from any source,, be it the light from the main lite, or the su4,, correct? the su4 is basicly the same as the sb26 lite sensor?

thanks again

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006Tue 20-Mar-07 11:29 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: yep,, another question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As I understand it besides the ability for Nikon to get more money, for the new flash units the difference is supposed to be in that the accuracy of the system is based on a different method of measuring the pre-flashes.

The D-TTL used flash sensors that looked at light measured off the shutter curtain which were reflected back on to it from the subject.
The pre-flashes occured after the mirror came up in order for this to happen.

The i-TTL pre-flashes happen before the mirror rises and the light reflected from the subject enters the viewfinder where the Matrix meter can sample the reflected light and presumably to a better job of figuring a better exposure. i-TTL also allows for FV lock.

The D-TTL meter only had five sensors, the Matrix meter has many more.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

barnacle Registered since 29th Aug 2004Wed 21-Mar-07 08:50 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: yep,, another question"
In response to Reply # 1

maya beach, BZ

Ok thanks alot! i believe i will be just fine with this gear for a few more years,, by then i may have it all sorted out!!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #21921 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.