Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20923
View in linear mode

Subject: "No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year..." Previous topic | Next topic
Resmith63 Registered since 18th May 2006Sat 10-Feb-07 12:34 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year..."

Columbus, US

Okay, I have had my first 800 for two days now, not a lot of time to try it out because of work yet. What I have tried I absolutely LOVE, why did I even buy a 600 originally, blah blah blah. But, my big stupid question is, this extra battery add-on case, could I like use a regular akaline in it even if I am using Ni-Mh rechargeables in the main case? Would it hurt anything?

Please don't laugh

Bob

Columbus GA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year..
Gerry M
10th Feb 2007
Reply message RE: No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year..
Guts80
10th Feb 2007
Reply message RE: No, HERE
HBB Moderator
10th Feb 2007
opticspatents
10th Feb 2007
edmun
10th Feb 2007
HBB Moderator
10th Feb 2007

Gerry M Registered since 24th Oct 2004Sat 10-Feb-07 01:35 PM
310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year.."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Valid question.
Keep all batteries the same. If you have multiple groups of batteries, keep them together also, even if they are the same battery.
--Gerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Guts80 Registered since 14th Apr 2004Sat 10-Feb-07 04:29 PM
341 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: No, HERE"S the SB-800 Stupid question of the year.."
In response to Reply # 0

Hong Kong, S.A.R, HK

Yep. Not only should you use the same type/brand of batteries but also the same set. Not only will this extend the life of your flash but also maximize the number of flashes you get per charge. I have 3 flashes and I tag and bag the batteries; anal yes, but it minimizes the number of time I have to charge the batteries

Oh and, if you still have that SB600 you can now discover the creative opportunities of CLS!

A Nikonian from Hong Kong

Check out My Gallery!

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 10-Feb-07 04:49 PM
8501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: No, HERE"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Bob:

Others on this thread have given you good advice. Follow it.

Additionally, always remove all batteries from the units when finished. Leaving them in until the next use is asking for a leaking battery which can be a mess to clean up and may ruin the unit if left long enough.

Keep the batteries in one of the pouches in the case that came with the unit when not using it. Don't throw them into a bag loose, where they can complete a circuit with other metal objects and start a fire.

The arguments about rechargeables versus one-time usage batteries rage on among Nikonians. I own a dozen SB800s, an SU800 and four SB-R200s. I use Lithiums in the SB800s because they have very long shelf life and my shooting schedule is very erratic. Two sets of batteries for the SB800s is 120 batteries. I'm not willing to dedicate the floor space necessary for enough chargers to keep them charged.

Once you get familiar with the SB800 and are ready for the wonderful world of CLS, check back here, there are several members with deep experience who will help you through the truly obscure SB800 manual.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

opticspatents Registered since 05th Jul 2006Sat 10-Feb-07 07:30 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: No, HERE"
In response to Reply # 3

US

HBB, I've read lots of your good advice about your herd of strobes, but in all those posts, I've never put any thought to the number of batteries you must be using - 60 at a time, remarkable.

Rob

Rob

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 10-Feb-07 08:07 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: No, HERE"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

I code my rechargeables with finger nail polish.

Red, yellow, green etc and keep my sets together.

HBB has too many for him to use rechargebles, I have 3 and one set gets me all the way through a wedding. Usually I only use one flash the other as back up

ledmun

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 10-Feb-07 08:24 PM
8501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: No, HERE"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Rob:

I tried the rechargeables when the SB800 herd was still fairly small. As they multiplied in the dark, it quickly became obvious that this was not the way to go, for lots of reasons.

I finally made the switch to Lithiums and have been a happy camper since. I donated a sizable batch of rechargeables and chargers to my local Nikon dealer who was delighted to get them for use in demonstrating all manner of "stuff" (technical term) that uses AAs. It never hurts to build a bit of good will like that.

I'm going out this afternoon to shoot, photographically that is, several police officers who are in front of a patrol car which is tucked in beside an F-16 fighter. Naturally, it is a gray, overcast day and I will likely be using several of them for fill.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.