Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20845
View in linear mode

Subject: "OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the year" Previous topic | Next topic
zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Thu 08-Feb-07 01:06 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the year"

Wheeling, US

Can I use my SB800 to command an R1 setup for macro photography or do I have to buy the whole R1C1 setup to get the SU800?

I don't do nearly enough flash photography to have a need for the SU800; no studio work whatever.

OK, 2nd stupid question --> If I an control the R1 from the SB800, are there any known issues that I should be aware of?

tia,
Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y
bens0472
08th Feb 2007
Reply message Thanks Ben. I'm actually using the D2x as the D200 is
zoommb Silver Member
08th Feb 2007
jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
08th Feb 2007
     Reply message Thanks Jeff.
zoommb Silver Member
08th Feb 2007
bens0472
08th Feb 2007
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
08th Feb 2007
Reply message Thanks Bill ---
zoommb Silver Member
09th Feb 2007
SamS
09th Feb 2007
Reply message No Sam, not a challenge
zoommb Silver Member
09th Feb 2007
bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
09th Feb 2007
tgreenwald Silver Member
11th Feb 2007

bens0472 Basic MemberThu 08-Feb-07 01:17 PM
819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Are you using the D2x or the D200 for macro work?

If the D200, then the R1 should be enough (without the SB800) because the built-in would act as commander and the SG-3IR included with the R1 kit would block the visible light from the built-in so that only the IR portion of the built-in would do the "commanding".

If you're using the D2X, I would assume that you could use the SB800 to command the R1, but as I understand it, the SU800 has some extra functionality specific to close range photography that the SB800 does not. I don't know much about this, specifically, because I don't own an SU800, but perhaps someone else here does.

Ben

zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Thu 08-Feb-07 01:55 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Thanks Ben. I'm actually using the D2x as the D200 is"
In response to Reply # 1

Wheeling, US

my wife's camera. She won't use my gear and while she will let me use hers, but I prefer not to.

Anyway, I've got this SB800 with commander mode and would like to take advantage of it if the compatibility is there.

Thanks again.

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 08-Feb-07 02:02 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

I don't know that I'd say it has extra functionality as much as it has a more friendly user interface. With a few button taps I can modify the ratio of light between groups A and B, something I'd have to dig in the menus for on the D200 or SB-800.

The SU-800 is just a CLS commander and the SB-R200 are just CLS slaves, the SB-800 can be both. As long as you've got one commander the R1 kit will work, but I'm happy I spent the extra for the R1C1 even with a D200 and SB-800 commander.

Jeff Bower
I wish my D200 body was a significant portion of my NAS-related expenses...
Moderator Pages

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Thu 08-Feb-07 04:43 PM
#4. "Thanks Jeff."
In response to Reply # 3

Wheeling, US

I appreciate the information and the opinion.

Thanks again,
Mike

bens0472 Basic MemberThu 08-Feb-07 06:02 PM
819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 3

Roswell, US

Ahh...thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

Ben

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Thu 08-Feb-07 11:01 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Mike,

I doubt you will miss this feature so I point it out only for completeness.
The SU-800 has a unique Close-up mode that you can't duplicate easily with any other Commander.
The Close-up mode greatly simplifies controlling the power ratios for Groups A and B.

Bill

Visit me at My site

zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Fri 09-Feb-07 03:00 PM
#8. "Thanks Bill ---"
In response to Reply # 6

Wheeling, US

That's very important and I didn't know it. It may alter my choice which is based on frugality due to the fact that there will be limited use.

Thanks again,
Mike

SamS Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 09-Feb-07 01:02 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 0

London, UK

"OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the year "

-- just asking... is this a challenge?

Sam

Cheers

Sam

zoommb Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2006Fri 09-Feb-07 03:03 PM
#9. "No Sam, not a challenge"
In response to Reply # 7

Wheeling, US

:-)
Mike

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Fri 09-Feb-07 08:31 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Sam,

For further research I suggest Speedlight R1C1, R1, SU-800, SB-R200 Instruction Manual.
The SU-800 is also quite light and would allow you to use your SB-800 more easily off-camera when using the SB-R200s.
So it's a question of R1 versus R1C1 knowning that the SU-800 in the R1C1 is usually cheaper than getting one later.

Bill

Visit me at My site

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sun 11-Feb-07 12:02 AM
1470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: OK, Here it is. The SB800 stupid question of the y"
In response to Reply # 10

High Springs , FL, US

Hi, I just looked at the back o f my SB800 and have it set to control it self and then 3 groups of slaves and it seems to do this well.

I think the SU800 has remote control of the R-200 flashes which is slick.

I have purchased a Wimberley bracket and am now using the SB800 as a slave or as the main flash with an SC17 for close up ( I have been scolded for saying I shoot macro, I shoot close ups)

After a few weeks of testing I feel that for me the R1 was a poor purchase and the SB800 a more versitile flash.

Capt_Tedd_Greenwald

www.teddgreenwald.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20845 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.