nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20719
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why Su-800 if I have the D200?" Previous topic | Next topic
PLphotography   US  Basic Member Fri 02-Feb-07 04:59 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Why Su-800 if I have the D200?"

I guess I should read my manuals more carefully. After buying the SU-800 to use with my (2) sb-800s, I was asked why I bought it if the D200 can do the same thing.

I've searched here and a few other forums and it appears the only real advantage of the Su-800 is that it communicates in IR and not flash. But I also found that Nikon sells an IR shield, the Nikon SG-3IR, that covers the built in flash.

So I guess my question is, what is the big deal with the Su-800 over the D200 and D80 commander modes?

www.PhilsDarkroom.com

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Fri 02-Feb-07 05:53 PM
53242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why Su-800 if I have the D200?"
In response to Reply # 0

The range is better and you can handle 3 groups instead of 2 groups.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources   New York, US  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006 Fri 02-Feb-07 07:00 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why Su-800 if I have the D200?"
In response to Reply # 1

More importantly (in my book) I like the SU-800's interface better than the D200 menu structure.

Jeff Bower
I wish my D200 body was a significant portion of my NAS-related expenses...
Moderator Pages

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

PLphotography   US  Basic Member Fri 02-Feb-07 07:40 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Why Su-800 if I have the D200?"
In response to Reply # 2

I agree, it's a pain going through the menus to make changes. I won't return it, but if I knew then what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought it on my budget.

Thanks for the replies guys.

www.PhilsDarkroom.com

jdbower Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the Resources   New York, US  Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006 Fri 02-Feb-07 08:03 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why Su-800 if I have the D200?"
In response to Reply # 3

Don't tell my wife, but secretly the SU-800 is a downpayment on a D2Xs or (dare to dream!) a D3X. Now I won't need it should I manage to convince her I need to upgrade.

Jeff Bower
I wish my D200 body was a significant portion of my NAS-related expenses...
Moderator Pages

Jeff Bower
Google+ Profile
Moderator Pages

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #20719 Previous topic | Next topic