Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #199
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1" Previous topic | Next topic
icware Basic MemberWed 01-Aug-01 01:29 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1"

Lithia, US

Fellow Nikonians,

I recently moved my business in the direction of digital imaging and purchased a D1 (what a fantastic camera). I have previously owned and operated the F3HP and F4S, and currently use the SB-25 for my flash. What I'm wondering is, has anyone had any experience shooting with the D1 with any flashes other than the SB-28DX (preferrably of course the SB-25 for comparison), and if so, do they have any recommendations for continued use, or is the only recommendation to move to the SB-28DX. For obvious reasons, namely $$$$, I don't wish to go purchase the DX unless I really have to, but I'm getting a bit uneasy from the auto flash mode provided using the SB-25, so I look to my fellow Nikonians for help.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Ian
----
Ian C. Ware
http://www.iajephoto.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Johnny Basic MemberWed 01-Aug-01 12:12 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1"
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

Ian,

Unfortunately, the SB-28DX is your only choice. The SB-28DX takes into consideration the reflectivity of the CCD chip in your D1 for TTL metering. Not even the standard SB-28 does that.

Chances are you can trade in your SB-25 and buy an SB-28DX. Good thing is the SB-28DX will work with your other cameras (it is not a D1-only item).

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

icware Basic MemberThu 02-Aug-01 02:00 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1"
In response to Reply # 1

Lithia, US

Thanks Johnny,

I appreciate the reply. Guess I'll have to just bite the bullet. Like you say, at least it works on all the older cameras too.

..... Say anyone in the market for a slightly used SB-25, only had it one month......

Thanks again.

Ian

Ian
----
Ian C. Ware
http://www.iajephoto.com

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 02-Aug-01 02:01 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

If you can find one, the new SB-50dx also has the necessary "dx" feature that provides proper TTL exposures with the D1. Without a dx model, you have to use regular autoflash or manual flash to get good results. The SB-50dx only comes in one "flavor", unlike the SB-28. I've yet to see one, but the price is listed at about $180 at the catalog shops.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Johnny Basic MemberThu 02-Aug-01 02:12 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-28DX vs SB-25 for D1"
In response to Reply # 3

Westampton, US

Whoops. BJ is right (as usual ). The SB-50DX should work with the D1 also. The trick is getting one.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #199 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.