Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #19591
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting started with Flash - very basic questions" Previous topic | Next topic
afulki Registered since 04th Jan 2006Tue 26-Dec-06 02:14 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Getting started with Flash - very basic questions"

New York City, US

I have a SB-600 and a SB-800, when I have either on the camera (D70s) or off camera using wireless flash, my viewfinder meter reading is always fully underexposed i.e. all they way to the right.

1. Is this normal?
2. Why?
3. Do I just have to trust that the exposure is correct, or can I actually use the TTL light meter?

Thanks
Gary

Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 26-Dec-06 03:29 PM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Getting started with Flash - very basic questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Gary:

This is perfectly normal. The meter is showing you the exposure for the camera only, and is not including any supplemental illumination (strobe lights). When you think about it, how can the metering system "know" what the supplemental illumination contribution to the exposure will be without firng the strobe and measuring the reflected light in the TTL mode? This is where the much discussed CLS "preflash" comes into play.

Once you get past this step, remember that the shutter and aperture exposure compensation done on the camera primarily affects the ambient light contribution while the exposure compensation features of the strobes control their contribution to the exposure. Yes, there will be some interaction, based on subject(s) to strobe and camera distances, background distance, ambient illumination levels, desired end product, etc.

With this flexibility, you can decide which illumination source (ambient or strobe) will be dominant and which will be secondary. Or, perhaps you want to balance them equally. The choices are all yours.

Hope this helps sort it out for you.

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

afulki Registered since 04th Jan 2006Tue 26-Dec-06 03:58 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Getting started with Flash - very basic questions"
In response to Reply # 1

New York City, US

Yes, that makes sense.

I had been browsing through the post on this forum, just had not worked out that little piece.

One further question, regarding the pre-flash, is the exposure meter updated taking other light source (the flashes) into account when I use FV lock and the flashes fire?

Thanks,

Gary

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 28-Dec-06 02:26 AM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Getting started with Flash - very basic questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Gary:

I've never looked, but I doubt it. I rarely use FV lock as I shoot almost exclusively in manual mode on the cameras and a mixture of TTL and manual on the remote SB800s. I will usually have two or more groups of subjects some distance apart that I am illuminating with multiple remote SB800s. Ergo, the FV lock is of no value to me.

In TTL mode, the strobes will give you a flashing red ready light and an indication of underexposure if you want to look at the LCD screen on the SB800s following a shot.

Remember: your goal is to decide how you want to balance the ambient and supplemental lighting in a scene. The SB800s and the CLS technology give you incredible freedoms.

Practice, practice, practice ...

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #19591 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.