Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1931
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?" Previous topic | Next topic
zucchini Registered since 04th Mar 2002Fri 24-May-02 04:16 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"

San Francisco, US

Just curious...

Would the built-in flash of the N80 trigger the wireless slave of these flashes? Or do I not understand wireless slave correctly?

Thanks,

Jason
-------
"Film is cheap, opportunity is expensive."

Jason <><
-------
http://me.jasonkuo.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?
jrp Administrator
24th May 2002
mythrenegade
16th Jan 2008
alexbaroes
28th May 2002
alexbaroes
28th May 2002
mythrenegade
28th May 2002
alexbaroes
29th May 2002
zucchini
29th May 2002
mythrenegade
29th May 2002
zucchini
29th May 2002
Chirotk
30th May 2002

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 24-May-02 08:20 PM
34656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes it can trigger them. You are understanding correctly.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

mythrenegade Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:18 PM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oak Hills, US

It does very well. I have proof:

This shot was taken by my cousin (snowdog) and I. The N80's builtin flash triggered the shot, the SB50-dx is laying on the ground to the right of the statues and the SB26 is shooting down from the top. Not necessarily a great subject, but we did this shot to answer your exact question...

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

alexbaroes Basic MemberTue 28-May-02 02:44 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 10

Medan, ID

How to activated the wireless slave from the SB80DX. I thought it only works whenever I have bracket SC-17 or Wireless SU-4. Could you tell me step by step. Thank you...!

PS. My camera is F80.....

Alex Baroes

alexbaroes Basic MemberTue 28-May-02 03:55 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 10

Medan, ID

Could you tell me how to activate SB80DX's wireless slave function along with F80's built in flash?

PS.If could by telling me step by step. Thank you very much for your kindness...

Alex Baroes

mythrenegade Basic MemberTue 28-May-02 04:13 PM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 3

Oak Hills, US

I don't have an SB80, but with the 50 you don't have to do anything. The flash knows that it is not connected to anything and goes into remote mode. The only real trick is that you _must_ use manual exposure with the N80. The reason is that this disables the pre-flashes. The remote flash will sync to the pre-flashes (not good) if you do this, and will not show in your picture. I have made this mistake a few times.

Joel

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

alexbaroes Basic MemberWed 29-May-02 08:00 AM
#5. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 4

Medan, ID

So Joel.... you means that never do such as P, S, or A exposure through my F80 when she dealing with SB80DX?

One thing is... are they provide some mini-stand to hanging the speedlights to do those multiple wireless/with bracket as well as studio lighting do? Or we just finding the idea?

Dealing with those wireless slave..... can i put my Sunpak 355 AF attached into the camera's hot shoe along with the SB80DX's wireless activated (The built in flash of the camera is shut off)?

Thank You Joel....

Stay Cool,
Alex Baroes

Alex Baroes

zucchini Registered since 04th Mar 2002Wed 29-May-02 05:27 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Francisco, US

Thanks for the responses and great illustration of my question! About the pre-flashes though, I've never seen anything like a pre-flash come out of my built in flash, in any exposure mode. Is there something very discreet that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Jason
-------

Jason <><
-------

mythrenegade Basic MemberWed 29-May-02 10:29 PM
#7. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 6

Oak Hills, US

You cannot use the P,S, or A modes when using an SB50/SB80 AS A REMOTE FLASH. You can use any mode when they are attached via the hotshoe or using an SC17 cord. They do not provide any brackets with the flashes, you are left to either buy ones, or set them on things. I generally just prop the flashes up as needed. You CAN use the sunpack on the hotshoe and the SB80 remotely without a problem. This would be superior to me to using the built-in flash, because you have less of a chance of getting redeye with a higher flash.

As for the pre-flashes, they are very, very short so you will not see them, but they ARE there. This is how the Automatic Balanced Fill Flash does its magic. You will never think about them until they accidentally trigger your SB50...

Joel

zucchini Registered since 04th Mar 2002Wed 29-May-02 10:49 PM
#8. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Francisco, US

Ahh, thanks Joel! I appreciate your informative replies...now to save up for a flash...

Thanks,

Jason
-------

Jason <><
-------

Chirotk Registered since 23rd Apr 2002Thu 30-May-02 07:10 AM
1147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Does N80 built-in flash trigger SB-80/SB-26?"
In response to Reply # 7

Metro-Manila, PH

Joel,

Thanks for the answer. I thought I had the problem solved by turning off the guide light in the Program mode. Never really knew there was a pre-flash.

Chirotk

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1931 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.