Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #19188
View in linear mode

Subject: "Putting more than 4.8/6 volts into a SB-800" Previous topic | Next topic
adrianaitken Registered since 19th Mar 2004Mon 11-Dec-06 11:18 AM
941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Putting more than 4.8/6 volts into a SB-800"

GB

The SB-800 lets you put in 4 NiMh (1.2 volt) and normal AAs (1.5 volt). It has a '5th' battery option taking it upto (potentially) 7.5 volts.
Has anyone tried putting more power in through the battery compartment - say 12 volts ?
I'd only expect the recharge cycle to shorten, not for more power.
Just wondering if there is any sort of voltage limiter inbuilt into the SB-800 or if things would fry internally.

Regards
Adrian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

anabasis Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2003Mon 11-Dec-06 04:04 PM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Putting more than 4.8/6 volts into a SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Edwardsville, US

According to the manual, the max the unit will ever take is 9V and that is through the front socket. The battery compartment maxes out at 7.5V with the 5th battery option.

I am fairly certain that putting any extra voltage through either socket will cause serious damage to both the actual flash and the control circuits.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

f2 Registered since 20th Mar 2006Mon 11-Dec-06 08:25 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Putting more than 4.8/6 volts into a SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

(updated)

The 5th battery option is for all batteries, so indeed you can put 7.5vdc thru the battery compartment.

The manual also lists the SD7 pack with 6x C-cells (6 x 1.5v = 9v) so you are safe up to 9v. But as was mentioned, it is via the power jack for the SD7, don't know what the safe level is via the AA battery compartment.

I would not push beyond the Nikon spec, if it burns out, it won't be covered by warranty.

What will kill electricals is BOTH voltage and current. Too much voltage beyond what components are rated for will burn them out, sometimes dramatically. Too much current will kill components by overheating, similarly the combination of high voltage + high current will also kill by overheating (power in watts = voltage x current).

Recycle time with AA is reduced by using a battery with a higher peak current output, which is how the lower voltage NiMH can recycle faster than the higher voltage alkaline.

But if you really need to shorten the recycle time, it is best to get a high voltage pack. The cheapest is the Nikon SD8A. Others are Quantum Turbo series, Lumedyne Cycler series, and others.

BTW you won't get more light by changing the supplied voltage.

adrianaitken Registered since 19th Mar 2004Mon 11-Dec-06 08:31 PM
941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Putting more than 4.8/6 volts into a SB-800"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Thanks for the replies. I asked because you can now get 3.6volt AA size batteries and I was thinking of trying them in the SB-800 to shorten the recycle time. Best not I suppose

Regards
Adrian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #19188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.