Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #191
View in linear mode

Subject: "sb-25 problem ... HELP MEeeeeeeeee!" Previous topic | Next topic
shb Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 07:13 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sb-25 problem ... HELP MEeeeeeeeee!"

Hi folks, brand new kid on the block here, looking for some help.

I just rec'd a sb-25 speedlight which I purchased on eBay and it appears to be functioning well and is cosmetically like new with the original box, case and instruction manual. There is however one BIG problem. When I try to remove it from the shoe mount, it won't budge.

After wiggling and coaxing it I finally got it to release. After some inspection it seems that the small front metal post which inserts into the shoe to keep it from accidentally falling off of the camera gets stuck and won't release. It took me almost 45 minutes before it would come off. I have played with the wheel which should cause the peg to release and it seems that it (the little peg) just gets stuck, plain and simple. Maybe the spring mechinism is old or has been overly tightened... who knows.

My question is this...

Would it be better to try to return it to the seller or ship to Nikon for repair. I'm using it on an N80 and believe that this speedlight has a good reputation for performance.

Your comments are appreciated.

Steve

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Johnny Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 12:54 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sb-25 problem ... HELP MEeeeeeeeee!"
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

I have an SB-26 (which is an SB-25 with a built-in slave). Have the flash off the camera. Run the ring all the way down (so the pin pokes out). You should then be able to push the pin in with your finger and have it spring back out easily. If not, try lubricating it with some silicone (or some other lubricant). You might be able to work it and get it freed up. If not, the pin could be bent and that would require a trip back to Nikon for repair.

If you feel you got a good deal from the seller, then let it be. If you feel you were ripped off, then see if the seller will take the flash back and refund your money.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

shb Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 04:25 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sb-25 problem ... HELP MEeeeeeeeee!"
In response to Reply # 1

Johnny, thanks for your response.

Prior to reading your reply, I did what you said and found that the pin stuck. Also, a small black plastic piece fell from the inside of the mounting shoe while I was trying to find out why the mechanism wouldn't work right. After this piece fell off, the locking pin pushed in and out with ease, but wouldn't retract back into the shoe when rotating the wheel. I knew at this point that a trip to a repair shop was inevitable. Foolishly, I was playing with partially mounting the flash on the camera, knowing full well that if I were to push it on all the way it would permanently lock on the shoe mount. Er, ah, well guess what... I suddenly heard this little "click" and now the flash was stuck on the camera. DOH!

I have taken it to a Nikon authorized repair shop here in town. They assured me that this is not an infrequent problem and that they have successfully removed the flashes from cameras many times. They said the SB-25 is an excellent flash and recommended replacing the shoe mount so as to prevent future problems.

I don't feel that I was ripped off, but I'm obviously disappointed that I have to go through this. On the other hand, when I get it back, I'll have a virtually new flash.

Steve

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.