nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #18928
View in linear mode

Subject: "why not use simply a cord for SB-800" Previous topic | Next topic
geneluck Silver Member  Reading, UK  Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004 Sat 02-Dec-06 06:01 PM
2651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"why not use simply a cord for SB-800"

I see many posts about the complexity of setting the SB-800 remote :
My question is the following: I have used a simple cord to connect my D200 to the SB-800 and it works well :I do not have to fiddle with the flash settings, with the menu on the D200 , there is no problem with the D200 pre-flash firing:
So if someone wants only to use the SB-800 off the camera but still at arm length , is it not the easiest solution and what do I miss doing that?
Off course if you want to use a set of flashes , you will need to use the cls.
Thanks for any help.
Jean-luc

geneluck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800 bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources
02nd Dec 2006
Reply message RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800 geneluck Silver Member
03rd Dec 2006
     Reply message RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800 Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
04th Dec 2006
Reply message RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800 Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
02nd Dec 2006
Reply message RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800 geneluck Silver Member
04th Dec 2006

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources   Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US  Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004 Sat 02-Dec-06 09:53 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Jean-luc,

I find a sync cord, heavy, clumsy, and an unnecessary expense.

Bill

Visit me at My site

geneluck Silver Member  Reading, UK  Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004 Sun 03-Dec-06 10:20 PM
2651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Bill,
I appreciate your arguments , but obviously you belong to those who have mastered the art of cls.
I was referring to the great number of non-professional people who only need to use a flash from time to time and have problems setting up both the SB-800 (not very intuitive for me at least) and their camera (D200 for me)
I have tried without cord and it worked in some conditions and not other , like in one room and not the other(flash did not fire).
I occasionally had difficulty to to switch back the SB-800 from remote to normal stand-alone.(select+?, 2seconds ?)

Another advantage with the cord is that the flash does not have to be in direct line with the infra-red camera light transmitter,
jean-luc

geneluck

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography   Philadelphia, US  Charter Member Mon 04-Dec-06 12:55 AM
7192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 3

Jean-Luc, as it turns out, there is an advantage to using the SC-28/29 to connect the SB-800 to the D200. With an SC-28/29 connecting the flash to the camera you get to use the mode TTL BL, which, in my opinion, is more consistent and accurate than TTL mode. When using CLS, TTL BL mode is unavailable.

Ned
-----------------------------
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography   Philadelphia, US  Charter Member Sat 02-Dec-06 10:14 PM
7192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Jean-luc, as it turns out, while many of us don't use a sync cord, many of us do.

For me, I judge the situation and act accordingly. Sometimes I use a sync cord and sometimes I don't. If I'm in a situation where I'm going to keep an SB-800 on a bracket, such as my Stroboframe ProT, then I'm using my SB-28 sync cord (shortened version by the way). If I'm in a situation in which I'm going to do some hand holding the SB-800, then I'm going cordless and I'll use my SU-800 to command the SB-800.

When it comes down to it, you should use what works best for you, and the way you take photographs. One thing I would suggest though, do some experimentation. Try using CLS to fire off that SB-800 of yours. You might like the way it works out for you.

Ned
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

geneluck Silver Member  Reading, UK  Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004 Mon 04-Dec-06 10:25 AM
#5. "RE: why not use simply a cord for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks Ned for for your comments.
I just find that the sophistication of modern equipment is such that it is difficult to remember exactly what to do if you do not use it all the time: using a cord could be somehow be a fallback solution for anyone having similar problems (of course it does not look so smart!)
Interesting point also about using the advantage of having the option of TTL-BL
Jean-luc

geneluck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #18928 Previous topic | Next topic