Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #18819
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why won't this work? - Help please." Previous topic | Next topic
glombick Registered since 18th Apr 2006Wed 29-Nov-06 08:29 AM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why won't this work? - Help please."

CA

I am trying to use a D200 with a SB-600 and a SB-25.

I have the SB-600 connected to my D200 using a SC-28 coiled TTL male to female hotshoe cord. I then plug a SC-27 nine foot straight remote TTL cord into the plug-in in on the SC-28 and connect the SB-25 to the other end. Both flashes are in working order with fresh batteries and work using the Sc-28 cord or mounted on camera. The way I figure it, using this set-up, I should be able to get TTL flash with 2 speedlights. Or a manual 2 flash system at the very least. Instead, the SB-600 fires, but the SB-25 never does. I have tried commander mode in manual and TTL and various combinations and permuations thereof. The SB-600 does not have a plug for the SC-29 cord.

The SC-29 cord is supposed to "build Multi-Flash Set-ups off the SC-28 TTL Cord." I am using the SC-28, but can't seem to get the SB-25 to work on any mode.

Any suggestions please before I pitch the whole set-up off my balconey?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why won't this work? - Help please.
mhc
29th Nov 2006
gkaiseril Gold Member
29th Nov 2006
glombick
29th Nov 2006
gkaiseril Gold Member
29th Nov 2006
glombick
29th Nov 2006
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Nov 2006
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Nov 2006
glombick
30th Nov 2006
heydale
01st Dec 2006

mhc Registered since 30th Oct 2005Wed 29-Nov-06 10:45 AM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, GB

Why would the D200 need to be in commander mode if you're using cables? Just stick it in "normal" TTL mode?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 29-Nov-06 01:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

As noted above for "Commander" also applies to the "Controller" setting. Both are for CLS wireless control of remote wireless CLS flash units. I do not know if the hotshoe is cutout, but Nikon could have disabled the hotshoe when any wireless setting is enabled.

Have you tested the SC-18/19/26/27? It is thin and easily broken One or more of the 3 internal wires could be broken resulting in an open circuit.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glombick Registered since 18th Apr 2006Wed 29-Nov-06 04:28 PM
160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I have also tried using regular TTL flash mode (i.e., not commander). The SC-28 works fine with one flash. The SC-19 is brand new and I am assuming it works. Perhaps I should test that assumption.

But what I want to know is should this set-up work as-is, or is ther something wrong with cord/speedlight(s)/camera?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 29-Nov-06 05:09 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

You have to make sure your camera and flash units are set properly. It is advised that all cameras and units be turned off when connecting and component.

A review of the SB-28 manual shows that your SB-28 needs to be set to "TTL" mode, not "Automatic Balanced Fill-Flash with TTL Multi-Sensor" or "Matrix Balanced Fill-Flash, Center-Weighted/Spot Fill-Flash".

You might also try putting the SB-28 on the camera, connect the SC-27 to the SB-28 with the SC-18/19/26/27 TTL cord and place the SB-600 on the hot shoe of the SC-27. And set all Speedlights to the "TTL" only mode.

The SB-600 manual talks about using the "M", manual, shooting mode for the camera and a somewhat conflicting statement:

"It is only possible to conduct multiple flash shooting in M (manual) mode using cords when using cameras compatible with CLS and digital SLRs not compatible with CLS."

I would expect this to work with the D200 since it supports CLS.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glombick Registered since 18th Apr 2006Wed 29-Nov-06 06:21 PM
#5. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I tried these suggestions, but with no luck.

The speedlight is a SB-25, however, not a SB-28. Using the SB-25 on-camera is not a satisfactory solution and will not work anyway, as the SC-28 needs to be connected to the hotshoe. The SB-600 does not have a PC or TTL cord plug-in, which is ridiculous in my opinion. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a SB-800, which makes me mad because that is what Nikon wants everyone to do. Discard all their old speedlights and buy new ones for their DSLRs.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 30-Nov-06 04:28 AM
#6. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

I believe the SC-27 hotshoe and TTL terminals are wired in parallel, so any electric charge passing through the hotshoe or any one of the TTL jacks will appear at the hotshoe and other TTL jacks, or you could insert an AS-10. An easy test would be to wire the Speedlights and press the test button on the SB-25 and see f both uiit fire.

The CLS Speedlights have quit a bit of sophisticated electronics inside.Speedlights prior to the CLS series can not be reworked to include these advancements.

I have tried to explain that with the differences between the SB-800 and the SB-600, make the SB-800 the better buy in the long run. With the built in PC and TTL terminals, the SU-4 mode, the Master mode, and diffuser the SB-800 in the long run is a better buy, unless you just want a simple flash. .

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 30-Nov-06 06:16 AM
#7. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

You can use a photoelectric trigger like the Nikon SU-4 or Wein HS Hot Shoe Slave to trigger the SB-25, but you will probably be in manual and have to compute the exposure.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glombick Registered since 18th Apr 2006Thu 30-Nov-06 07:24 AM
#8. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 7

CA

George,

Thanks for your input. When I manually fire the SB-25, the SB-600 fires too, so at least I know the cord is working. And that the system won't work as is, even if set up correctly.

Guess I will put the 9' TTL cord and the SB-25 for sale and invest in a SB-800 and another SB-600 and use CLS for now.

thanks,

Paul

heydale Registered since 23rd Apr 2004Fri 01-Dec-06 12:31 AM
407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why won't this work? - Help please."
In response to Reply # 8

Cape Elizabeth, US

After years of avoiding "Flash" I decided to dig out my acquired units including my year old Sb-800 and play a little, especially since it is getting colder here in Maine.

So I started looking at the options to connect my Sb-800, Sb-24 Vivitar 283 and some old "slave" adaptors.
It was a little fun, but after spending a few hours on research, the options of adapters and cables to accomplish anything quickly made the reality of an Sb-600 as the second (and soon third) a cost effective and infinitely more flexible solution.

So you may want to add up the headaches and just bite the bullet and forget the hassles of the legacy units.

dale

"I got a good shot of the others ducking"
W. Eugene Smith when recovering from a WWII shrapnel wound.

www.flickr.com/photos/heydale

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #18819 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.