nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports

abednigo

US
50 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
abednigo Registered since 22nd May 2006
Wed 11-Oct-06 03:32 PM

The Problem: When I shoot actions sports at night I manually set my D200 to at least 1/250 shutter speed, my lens is always wide open at f/2.8, and my SB600 to 1/8 - 1/16 power depending on the field light available. This set-up works well except when I fire the shutter for continuous multiple exposures of more than 3 consecutive shots; during these moments the flash needs recycle time and it does not go off as the shutter is shooting, rendering some of the sequence shots dark before the speedlight recharges itself to flash again.

1st question: Can I set up the SB600 to flash more rapidly in conjunction with the amount of shutter speed actuations at the frequency of 5 frames per second?

2nd question (with background info. following): Can I buy the SB800 to be used in conjunction with the SB600 on a flash bracket and synchronize them to fire off alternately so that when one is recycling itself the other speedlight can fire off, thus covering the frequency of a 5 frames/second sequence?

Here's my set-up and what I would hope to do while photographing action sports at night, like soccer and football:

D200 with a 300mm f/2.8 with a flash bracket attached to the camera holding an SB800 and SB600. The hot-shoe on the camera would be attached to the SB800 via the SC-28 cord while the SB600 would also be connected with the SC-28 via the multiple flash terminals on the SC-28 cord (just under the SB800).

I would then hope to synchronize the speedlights to alternately flash in conjunction with a high continuous shutter speed of at least 1/250 to freeze the action. Or if the speedlights cannot alternately flash, then at least for them to pick up where the other stopped flashing.

I know there's some photogenius' out there who can provide a thorough answer. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

-Steven

Itself, by itself, solely, ONE everlastingly, and single. -Plato

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
12th Oct 2006
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports edmun
12th Oct 2006
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports RockyIII Gold Member
12th Oct 2006
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
12th Oct 2006
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports Gary7770
13th Oct 2006
13th Oct 2006
          Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports Gary7770
13th Oct 2006
13th Oct 2006
               Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports Gerry M
16th Oct 2006
16th Oct 2006
Reply message RE: Using 2 speedlights on a bracket for sports jonbost
24th Nov 2006

G