nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Speedlites for N80" Previous topic | Next topic
jbrid21 Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 05:16 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Speedlites for N80"

fort lauderdale, US

If I don't plan to use a speedlite for any creative lighting in the near future, and to use it for just lighting for my sister's plays and for shots at night. Does it really matter if I get a 60 dollar quantaray speedlite or a 200 Nikon speedlite? Can anyone tell me if it is better to just go with a used sb-24, sb-26, or a new sb-50. I just don't want to get something that is not going to hurt my in-experience or something that is just too much for what I need if for.

Can you see me? Look through the glass and into my soul

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Speedlites for N80
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
27th Jul 2001
jbrid21
27th Jul 2001
petskicook
15th Aug 2001
jbrid21
15th Aug 2001
ozgooner
16th Aug 2001
khairul
16th Aug 2001
jbrid21
16th Aug 2001
jbrid21
13th Sep 2001
ozgooner
13th Sep 2001
jbrid21
13th Sep 2001
ozgooner
13th Sep 2001
jbrid21
13th Sep 2001
JM
13th Sep 2001
jbrid21
13th Sep 2001
JM
14th Sep 2001
Reply message "Speedlites for N80"
jmudrick
16th Sep 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 27-Jul-01 05:26 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

If you won't use the flash often and don't need the advanced features, I agree that you should go with a "compatible" flash and save some money. Or you could perhaps find a good price on a used Speedlight.

Just be sure to get enough power for your uses, I would also demand TTL compatibilty with Nikon (a dedicated third party unit), and a bounce head would be a minimum in my book.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

jbrid21 Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 05:45 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 1

fort lauderdale, US

Will it make a difference in the photos? Kind of like if you put generic headlight in your car, and not the German one from Volkswagon, it may not work the same or last as long, and it will produce a different color than the other one. Or, are they all the same, just with different features for convience.

petskicook Basic MemberWed 15-Aug-01 07:35 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 2

If funds are tight get an SB22s, I now have one and its so much better than my previous non Nikon 'cheap' unit. I use it with a F80 and it gives great results.
as far as I can tell the only thing it does not do is monitor pre-flash or have a zoom head but for general flash work its great.

Peter Cook

jbrid21 Basic MemberWed 15-Aug-01 08:44 PM
#4. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 3

fort lauderdale, US

How about the sb24 vs sb26

ozgooner Basic MemberThu 16-Aug-01 12:26 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 4

Canberra, AU

I recently picked up a used SB-24 for my F80 and am very happy with it so far. It's a definite step up from the F80's built in flash. I'd also strongly recommend a StoFen Omni flash diffuser which has given me great results so far.

Hope this helps,

Trev M - Nikonian Down Under

khairul Basic MemberThu 16-Aug-01 10:53 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 0

Why not the SB-27. It supports the entire flash functions as far as your F80 is capable of and is better balanced on a small camera like F80. Of course if you need all the power, then, you have to buy SB28/26.

jbrid21 Basic MemberThu 16-Aug-01 02:07 PM
#7. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 6

fort lauderdale, US

It just seems like the sb-27 takes away from the beauty of the N80 with it's awkward shape.

jbrid21 Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 02:08 AM
#8. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 7

fort lauderdale, US

I ended up getting the sb-24, and I am satisfied wtih it's results. My next question is where can I get the diffusor for it?

ozgooner Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 02:27 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 8

Canberra, AU

$16.95 at B&H here

Trev M

jbrid21 Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 02:33 AM
#10. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 9

fort lauderdale, US

thanks, what are most of the situations I would use it in? I know for close up shots where the flash may be too bright. What else?

ozgooner Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 03:18 AM
#11. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 10

Canberra, AU

Check outt http://www.stofen.com for some info.

I'm no expert and haven't used it overly much but, apart from indoors use to soften close-ups, it can be used outdoors to soften fill-flash. You'll often see photographers at sports events when they are on the field at the end of a game using them to photograph players etc. Same with some "paparazzi" type shots of famous people. I've seen them being used these last couple of days at press conferences that President Bush and others have given.

Trev M - Nikonian Down Under

jbrid21 Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 03:52 AM
#12. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 11

fort lauderdale, US

I have actually seen them these past couple of days at the news conferences. thatis what made me think of it.

JM Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Thu 13-Sep-01 10:15 PM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Consider the Lumiquest system. They make a range of light modification widgets (the technical term) for flashes that can solve many flash situations.
The main problem with flashes is the harshness of the light. By bouncing, diffusing and filtering the flash output the light can be 'conditioned' to fit your needs better.
If you think of light and its effects it is easy to grasp the need and usage of the modifiers. When light is softened and spread to avoid single source shadows the effect is a more pleasing glow than a razor sharp shadow.
Jeff Markus
PS as retro geek I made my own Lumiquest style reflector with cardboard and foil but hey I am cheap...

JM
The Chicagoan

jbrid21 Basic MemberThu 13-Sep-01 10:30 PM
#14. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 13

fort lauderdale, US

I am not a pro, so I am not sure of which diffuser will be the best for me. I had taken some pictures of my girlfriends brother with a bunch of miami dolphins and, it was at night, and there were lights overhead. But when I got the pictures back there were shadows, and I wanted to figure out how I would be able to get rid of those next time. Also, what other ways that the diffusers can be utilized.

JM Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Fri 14-Sep-01 03:07 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Speedlites for N80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For use with the N80 all you need basically is a flash with TTL (thru the lens) capability. This means the body can turn the flash off as the light reaches the proper level. Most Nikon speedlights from SB-22s on are TTL and some are still for sale new as well as used. Other manufacturers have TTL flashes also.
Since the on board flash is capable for fill flash in most cases you can look into slave drive usage of Auto style flashes which are set to a specific light output and then you set the camera for that light exposure. This is more complicated and time consuming but the old Vivitar 283 (and you all thought I couldn't work it into this thread) can be had used for well under 50dollarsUS.
Stage shots are hampered by the distance to the players and the distraction of the flash. Think about it a camera mounted flash will be a guide number of 50 or less meaning at f8 (a usable aperture on a consumer lens) your effective distance is appx. 6ft with 100iso film and that much flash will get the attention of everyone on stage and off. A powerful enough flash to get a player from 20 feet at f8 would need to be GN 160 with that same film. 160 will turn heads all over the auditorium stealing the focus from the players. Even with faster film flashes can be less helpful than distracting. If the stage is moderately well lit a 800 film may be better suited for use without the flash when prudently timed and from a stable platform, monood or tripod.
Jeff Markus

JM
The Chicagoan

jmudrick Basic MemberSun 16-Sep-01 01:14 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. ""Speedlites for N80""
In response to Reply # 0

A grey market 22s will run you $114 or so (which is what I'm using now); I'm wondering if anyone can opine on the SB-50DX vs. the 22s for the N80; price difference is about $45....

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #174 Previous topic | Next topic