nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #17365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gel Filters for SB 800/600" Previous topic | Next topic
3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 05:10 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Gel Filters for SB 800/600"

The two filters that came with the sb800: How on earth do you mount them on the flash head?? They have an arrow shape that one would assume slides into one of the slots where the white card and diffusion panel go, but they don't bend enough to cover the flash head! And even if they did, the gel area is too large to "tuck" into the shape of the flash head to keep it there securely.

The only time it works is by slapping it on the flash head and by virtue of static electricity, it will stay on. But that is a very tenuous position. It comes off with any sort of slight movement.

This is weird and I can't find documentation anywhere. Who has an answer?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Oct 2006
3XP05UR3
04th Oct 2006
3XP05UR3
04th Oct 2006
RockyIII Gold Member
04th Oct 2006
tooki
05th Oct 2006
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Oct 2006
RockyIII Gold Member
05th Oct 2006
3XP05UR3
05th Oct 2006
ZoneV Silver Member
06th Oct 2006

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 04-Oct-06 06:19 PM
7119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Crease the gel at the base of the "arrow", then slide the "arrow" into the diffuser slot. The front of the gel should then hang down over the front of the flash lens.

Me, I got some Rosco gel material and cut out some rectangular pieces I can affix to the flash using rubber bands. Seems easier, plus it takes care of my SB-600 as well as the '800.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 06:36 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 1

>Crease the gel at the base of the "arrow", then slide the
>"arrow" into the diffuser slot. The front of the gel should
>then hang down over the front of the flash lens.
>
>Me, I got some Rosco gel material and cut out some
>rectangular pieces I can affix to the flash using rubber
>bands. Seems easier, plus it takes care of my SB-600 as well
>as the '800.

Success! I was apprehensive about creasing the arrow base fold because its so flimsy. But I see now that shouldn't be problem.

I've got Roscoe samples coming. With the limited tests I've done with incandescent balancing, the stock sb800 gel works fantastic, I must say.

What # Roscoes have you found best?

3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 09:26 PM
#3. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 2

Wow these gel things warp with the slightest use.

I've just run off a series of test shots (about 15 of varying intesity) and they now look like they need a good ironing.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 04-Oct-06 10:10 PM
3081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

You can also get the Sto-Fen Omni Bounce in green and gold.

tooki Registered since 22nd Jan 2006Thu 05-Oct-06 06:51 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 3

Baltimore, US

The warping is normal, but harmless. They only need to be replaced if the color has faded too much to be useful.

tooki

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 05-Oct-06 03:49 AM
7119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

I use #3407 for tungsten balance and #3304 for fluorescent. They seem pretty close for most cases.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Thu 05-Oct-06 11:55 AM
3081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 5

Raleigh, US

I wonder where they Rosco filter people came up with names like "No Color Pink" and "##### Amber."

3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006Thu 05-Oct-06 02:33 PM
#7. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 6

anyone use Lee Filters? How do the Roscoes stand up to heat?

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 06-Oct-06 07:18 PM
3500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Gel Filters for SB 800/600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What filter should I use under HID or mercury vapor lighting?

For tungsten and flourescents, what about the 3315 and 3408? I have a feeling that the 3407 and 3304 might be overkill depending on the type of light...I wouldn't want to end up with a blue background when shooting under tungsten lighting. Thus, I will probably only use partial filtration and preserve some of the natural color cast of the artificial light. I think that would look more natural. The human brain doesn't totally correct...at least mine doesn't.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #17365 Previous topic | Next topic