Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #157
View in linear mode

Subject: "Questions about the SB-50DX?" Previous topic | Next topic
vchong Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 07:13 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Questions about the SB-50DX?"

Victoria, CA

Well folks, I finally got a hold of an SB-50DX. Been waiting for one of these units for a while now... was somewhat peeved when Nikon pushed the release date back a few weeks in early July.

I'm not much of an indoor photographer (typically shoot landscapes) but I needed a speedlight for those special occasions and the compact size and low price of the SB-50DX seemed to fit the bill.

I'm sure many of you must have some questions about this unit so post away and I'll try to answer as many as I can competently.

V.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?
kENTEX
27th Jul 2001
photobri
27th Jul 2001
vchong
27th Jul 2001
vchong
27th Jul 2001
afinegold
27th Jul 2001
vchong
27th Jul 2001
CharlesYVR
27th Jul 2001
afinegold
28th Jul 2001
vchong
28th Jul 2001
vchong
28th Jul 2001
meerkat
31st Jul 2001
vchong
01st Aug 2001
PABA
10th Aug 2001
Reply message Nikon SB-50dx speedlight
calvin1calvin Silver Member
10th Aug 2001
Reply message RE: Nikon SB-50dx speedlight
DavidC
14th Aug 2001
avitar
15th Aug 2001

kENTEX Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 10:21 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-01 AT 04:33 PM (GMT)

I do have some questions

1. Where did you get it? I have had an order in with Camera world for some time.

2. How do you like it?

3. What camera are You using it with?

photobri Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 10:39 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Cameraworld told me they did not expect it till September!

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

vchong Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 04:39 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 2

Victoria, CA

>Cameraworld told me they did not
>expect it till September!

They're out in the wild, but perhaps in limited quantities? Perhaps Nikon Canada released it before Nikon USA? Not sure.

Anyway, another Canadian outfit, Henry's, had it in stock a few days ago too but it looks like they've sold out, but promise to have more soon.

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/product/prod.jsp?cgrfnbr=407050&curr=USD&prrfnbr=331458

V.

vchong Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 04:36 PM
#3. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 1

Victoria, CA

>1. Where did you get it? I have had an order in with
>Camera world for some time.

From Lens & Shutter, a small chain in the Vancouver / Victoria, BC area. Apparently Photography West in Kelowna, BC also has it in stock:

http://www.photographywest.ca/f_webfolder/p_web/p_equipment/p_nikonflash.html

>2. How do you like it?

It's small, compact, and lightweight. It has a definite plastic feeling about it, but for about $200US, what can you expect? The unit is made in China but the build quality seems quite acceptable.

One of the unique things about this speedlight is that it doesn't stand straight up like the SB-28 but rather perches at an angle, so even though the angle guide (click stops at -18, 0, 50, and 75 degrees) may say 0 degrees (relative to the incoming light path), the angle between the flash body and flash head is not 90 degrees (as in the SB-28).

>3. What camera are you using it with?

It's mounted on an F80 with MB-16 and a Tamron 28-200. It balances quite well with the large lens in front; with a 50mm f1.8 prime its a little "tippy".

Anyway, I've just been messing with the functions and haven't had a chance to shoot film yet. Anybody have any suggestions as to what tests I should perform to evaluate this flash?

V.

afinegold Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 05:48 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellevue, US

vchong,

Definitely keep us informed on your experiences with the SB-50DX, as I'm sure there are many of us who are waiting for some actual user tips.

I noticed that Regency Camera has it listed on their web site for $149.99 U.S., but I don't know whether they have any and whether that would be a US warranty or gray market item at that price.

Al--

vchong Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 09:43 PM
#6. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 5

Victoria, CA

Evening Al,

No problem... I'll let you all know my experiences once I take it out and snap some shots this weekend with it, but so far I've been quite impressed with it, considering the price.

One point though: the battery door is pretty darn flimsy. Unlike the battery door on the bottom of the non-professional Nikon bodies (that take the CR123A / DL123 lithium batteries) that are hinged with two plastic tabs, the battery door for the SB-50DX uses a piece of BENT PLASTIC as its hinge, rather than something more lasting. Think plastic case for your set of cheapo drill bits... yuck!

Not sure if this is going to be a problem in the future, but if it proves to be a problem, hopefully Nikon will stand by their product. Maybe later revisions of the SB-50DX will fix this "problem"?

V.(ictor)

CharlesYVR Basic MemberFri 27-Jul-01 09:51 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 6

Vancouver, CA

Hi Victor,

Since you're a fellow Canuck, I just want to let you know that you can go to Nikon.ca and request literature on Nikon products. I just had them send me one for Nikon lenses, F5, F100. The one for lenses is great because it lists all the avaible lenses in one brochure. I got the F5 and F100 brochures just to know what they're all about... no plans to buy one anytime soon... if ever.

Charles
Vancouver, BC
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=128765

afinegold Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 03:51 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bellevue, US

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-01 AT 05:53 AM (GMT)

A big correction, gang, or rather a big change. I said on my post above that Regency Camera had advertised the SB-50DX for $149.99, and I saved (and still have) the web page with that price on it. Well, that apparently was the price before they got the flash in stock, because today, just a few days later, the price is now $219.99. So much for honest dealers, but then I'm not sure that anybody has ever accused Regency of that trait.

Reminds me of the punchline of the joke about the retailer who told a customer about one of his competitors, "If I didn't have that item in stock either, I would also give you 50% off!"

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 04:08 PM
#10. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 8

Victoria, CA

>Well, that apparently was the price before they got
>the flash in stock, because today, just a few days
>later, the price is now $219.99.

Youch. That's kind of crazy because surely the dealers know the price of a unit from their distributors and they have the manufacturer's suggested retail price to go by, so they shouldn't have been off the mark by $70US.

$149.99 is probably even below cost...

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 04:04 PM
#9. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 7

Victoria, CA

I too have a whole wad of literature from Nikon Canada on products I have no money to buy! I think I have every SLR product guide for current Nikon models (except for the F60) and also have one for the F50, F-601, F70, F4, FM10, and the Pronea 600i.

If you're a die-hard Nikon fan, consider picking up the "Complete Nikon System: An Illustrated Equipment Guide" by Peter Braczko, published through Silver Pixel Press (of Magic Lantern fame).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1883403855/qid=996343320/sr=2-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-7646216-1314110

It's a little out of date (published in March 2001 but probably "completed" a few months earlier) so it won't have the newest lenses and SB-50DX, but I think it does have the F80, or if not, at least the F100.

Cheers,

Victor

meerkat Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 06:50 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

silly-can valley, US

Victor:

I know SB50 supports wireless operation,

but I suspect auto TTL is supported in that mode.
(as camera need to send bunch of information wirelessly),
Can you confirm my suspision is right or wrong.

Does the manual says you still need
SC-17 cord in order to use the speedlight off the
camera hotshoe mount in auto-TTL mode?

Thanks

vchong Basic MemberWed 01-Aug-01 06:30 AM
#12. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 11

Victoria, CA

meerkat,

Yes, the SB-50DX will perform TTL auto flash wirelessly. The effective range of the SB-50DX's light sensor is 7m (23ft) in TTL auto mode and can be trigged by either another SB-50DX mounted on the camera or the camera's built-in speedlight.

In manual wireless mode, this range increases significantly to 40m (131ft) but the flash will fire at full power.

In either case, monitor pre-flashes must be disabled as they will cause improper exposure (misfirings of the slave units?).

Victor

PABA Basic MemberFri 10-Aug-01 02:13 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

I got my Sb-50DX about 10 days ago from Royal Photo in Montreal. Only used it twice so far and haven't seen the results yet. What I can say so far is that there seems to be very good data communication between it an my F65 and my G-series lenses. The LCD display on the 50DX tells the whole story. I think the smart thing in this setup is the possibility to combine my F65 speedlight with the 50DX. The F65 also detects what angle my 50Dx is at (ceiling reflection or direct) and adjusts accordingly. And I love the size and weight of the 50DX.
cheers

calvin1calvin Silver Member Charter MemberFri 10-Aug-01 11:45 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Nikon SB-50dx speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Beaumont, US

I just purchased one from Sahara Camera in Las Vegas, Nv. They told me they just received their shipment and have 2-3 more in stock and the price was $199.00 US. These are US warranted units new in the box. I am using it on an N80 and F100. Really like the feature where you can difuse the the pop up flash and have the SB 50 for the main unit. It puts out more light than I originally thought and it is light weight. I have been using in TTL with matrix balanced fill and have not had an opportunity to utilize all of its functions.

Calvin1Calvin

DavidC Basic MemberTue 14-Aug-01 04:28 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon SB-50dx speedlight"
In response to Reply # 14

I bought one today for $199 at a camera store in Rockford IL. When I get some results I'll post them. Flash looks good so far.

Take a chance it may be the only one you get

avitar Wed 15-Aug-01 12:52 AM

#16. "RE: Questions about the SB-50DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Just got back my first 3 rolls. Came out real good considering I didnt even get to look at the manual. I used it mostly off camera as a wireless slave,, very cool feature. Who cares if you cant swivle it if you can wireless?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #157 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.