nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #15278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or ni-" Previous topic | Next topic
albano Registered since 12th Nov 2005Sat 03-Jun-06 02:49 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or ni-"

Buenos Aires, AR

Hi,
I'm using an automatic Sunpak auto383, and I've no money to upgrade to a SB600 or SB800, so I want to take the best from my current unit.
I guess this question goes for flashes using AAs in general. Which type of cells gives better performance (shorter recycling time and/or more firings per pack of batteries)?
I'm more interested in shorter recylcing times, so maybe oen of you experienced a difference when switching from one type to the other.
Regards and thanks,

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar
www.ciclopefoto.blogspot.com

Albano García
Design & Photography
www.albanogarcia.com.ar
www.flaneur.com.ar
www.ciclopefoto.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 03-Jun-06 07:33 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

NimH. I have used all three. The new ones are in the 2500 to 2800 MAH ranges and some will recharge with the right charger in 15 minutes but they get very hot so I slow charge mine.

You should be able to get 4 for under $10

ledmun

garyac12 Registered since 05th Dec 2005Sun 04-Jun-06 05:05 AM
554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francsico, US

The only thing you need to watch out for is the trigger voltage. Depending on the voltage it could be fatal to your camera if over the designed max. My D70 manual says the D70 is OK to 250 volts, which is OK for my Sunpak 611, but I think my old Strobonar is way above this.

Check the manual to see what the max voltage you camera can handle. If you have a friend with a DIGITAL multi-meter or an electronics shop nearby, ask them to measure the voltage across the hot shoe after the flash has FULLY charged. This will tell you if you can use it on your camera or not.

note: you need to use a digital meter because you need HIGH impedance meter that will not trigger the flash. Even so, I have one flash that will trigger with my digital meter anyway. If it triggers the flash, you can't measure the voltage.

gud luk
Gary

skrol Registered since 23rd Oct 2003Wed 07-Jun-06 03:36 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The NiMH should give shorter recycle times due to lower internal resistance, especially in cold weather. One thing to watch out for is that NiCd and NiMH will self discharge at approximately 3% and 6% / day respectively. So if you use the flash occasionally, you need to make sure that you charge the batteries if they have been sitting a while. NiCd's, and NiMH's to a lesser degree, generally do not like this type of use and should be discharge fully and recharged from time to time.
Stan

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 07-Jun-06 10:40 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wich batteries are better for a flash: alcalines or"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

Sanyo has some new NimH batteries which according to a review I read do not loose their charge as rapidly as the all the other kinds.

I think the only way to know what they are is that they are 2600 Mah. I think they are the same ones Costco has in a set of 6 AA and 2 AAA and charger for $20

on Nikonians to the Sanyo site but I can not find it now.

ledmun

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #15278 Previous topic | Next topic