Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1504
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-26 & SB-80" Previous topic | Next topic
nishiki Basic MemberTue 16-Apr-02 07:45 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-26 & SB-80"

Baltimore, US

Correct me if I am wrong in stating that the SB-26 is the finest speedlight Nikon has ever produced!!

The SB-28 is "neat", but never lived up to the SB-26 in quality or craftsmanship!!

I am curious to know if this propossed SB-80 has the capacity to dethrone the reigning "queen" of all Nikon speedlights, the SB-26?

Or will it come up short, as the SB-28 did?

"If the SB-26 and SB-28 have truly conceived a child, have they named it the SB-80?"

Imagine that, all the features of the SB-26, but with the SB-28's size & wieght!!

ROCK ON!!

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-26 & SB-80
Erkki
16th Apr 2002
yslee
17th Apr 2002
nishiki
17th Apr 2002
yslee
17th Apr 2002
nishiki
17th Apr 2002
jnscbl
18th Apr 2002
Ed
18th Apr 2002
jnscbl
18th Apr 2002
nishiki
18th Apr 2002
vscmak
18th Apr 2002
nishiki
22nd Apr 2002
yslee
23rd Apr 2002
nishiki
23rd Apr 2002
yslee
23rd Apr 2002
Ed
18th Apr 2002
nishiki
18th Apr 2002
vscmak
18th Apr 2002
jnscbl
18th Apr 2002
vscmak
19th Apr 2002
jnscbl
19th Apr 2002
ckng
24th Apr 2002
henry
24th Apr 2002
nishiki
24th Apr 2002
Fisheye
24th Apr 2002
Libra
25th Apr 2002
henry
26th Apr 2002
vscmak
26th Apr 2002
Libra
26th Apr 2002

Erkki Registered since 12th Mar 2002Tue 16-Apr-02 10:51 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 0

87250 Kajaani, FI

I got my SB 80DX yesterday. Very good and powerful flash. I think the best one ever.

Erkki

Erkki

yslee Basic MemberWed 17-Apr-02 05:52 AM
698 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 0

SG

>Correct me if I am wrong in stating that the SB-26 is the
>finest speedlight Nikon has ever produced!!

That was sweeping.

>The SB-28 is "neat", but never lived up to the SB-26 in
>quality or craftsmanship!!

Have you used the SB-28?

>Or will it come up short, as the SB-28 did?

Where did the SB-28 come out short?

nishiki Basic MemberWed 17-Apr-02 03:40 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 2

Baltimore, US

I guess I'm just biased to the SB-26.

I was never pleased with the fact that the SB-28 did not have a slave flash feature, which I find very useful!

I feel that was a big mistake made by NIKON!!

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

yslee Basic MemberWed 17-Apr-02 05:47 PM
698 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 3

SG

Well, anyone who does plenty of shooting will tell you the SB-28 is a better flash. It's better in where it counts: battery performance and flash recharge timings. Having a smaller size and weight helps too.

nishiki Basic MemberWed 17-Apr-02 06:47 PM
#5. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 4

Baltimore, US

I do plenty of shooting myself, but I feel the SB-28 is a comprimise.

I like having the ability, and I'm not the only one, of using the slave flash feature of the SB-26.

I feel that Nikon is attempting to remedy this flaw in the SB-28 design by releasing this SB-80 speedlight!!

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 03:56 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Vincent, could you give us an example of how you use the slave feature of the SB-26? How do you trigger it, and is it still TTL when used as a slave?
-scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Ed Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 05:52 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 6

US

The SB-26 has to be set in non-TTL automatic and switched over to "D" setting (for Delay). It is an optical slave and so, it has to be positioned where it can "see" the main flash, which is usually TTL. The aperture setting on SB-26 can be opened up 1 stop than what is set on the lens for a -1 flash fill.

Also the main flash's pre-flashes must be turned off (as in standard TTL).

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 11:30 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks for the information, Ed. It would also be interesting to hear some real-life scenarios from everyone who has used the SB26 as a slave.
-scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

nishiki Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 01:41 PM
#11. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 9

Baltimore, US

Scott, I usually trigger the slave with an SB-25. Ed explained that it is an optical slave. The main flash does not have to be direct, it can be bounced or deflected.

You can use it as a fill flash, a back light, to help balance out a main flash, etc.

It's a great feature.

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

vscmak Registered since 28th Mar 2002Thu 18-Apr-02 01:55 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 7

Hong Kong, CN

Ed

Have you tried to set the switch to "S" mode? In such situation, do you need to make any adjustment on the master flash and/or the camera to ensure proper exposure? I am asking this question because the SB 80 DX flash does not have the "Delay" feature. Thanks.

Vincent

nishiki Basic MemberMon 22-Apr-02 07:43 PM
#17. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 4

Baltimore, US

Do you ever use the slave feature on your SB-80?

Try it, it is a great feature!!

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

yslee Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 05:13 AM
#18. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 17

SG

Gee whiz great or practically great? I don't have a lot of situations where a slave flash is a MUST; I'd rather have the SC-17 cord.

nishiki Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 11:54 AM
#19. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 18

Baltimore, US

Two flashes work better than one flash!!

You get better results.

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

yslee Basic MemberTue 23-Apr-02 06:12 PM
#20. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 19

SG

That's a very interesting line of thought. I won't bother arguing with the logic, but I normally don't have time to setup multiple flashes while shooting.

Ed Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 06:03 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 2

US

There are trade-offs between the SB-26 and SB-28. The SB-28 is only a slight improvement over the SB-26. On paper and in the lab, people can tout these "improvements". However out in the field, we're all really splitting hairs when we talk about the differences in recycling time and battery use in the field. I do believe that these slight improvements do not make up for the loss of the slave feature. Just my opinion.

However the SB80DX is a huge step in the right direction. The GN is higher (for the first time in 14 years!), the slave is back, new modeling light, etc. I can avail of these new features even on my old FM2n, and so the SB80DX is looking to be my next flash.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nishiki Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 01:28 PM
#10. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 8

Baltimore, US

Thanks Ed!! You explained that feature better than I could have!!

I too am anxious to see the SB-80.

I hope it ROCKS as much as the SB-26 has for so long.

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

vscmak Registered since 28th Mar 2002Thu 18-Apr-02 01:46 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 8

Hong Kong, CN

>the slave is back
>

I wish to point out that there is a difference in the slave feature of SB 26 and SB 80 DX. The SB 26 has the delay mode while the SB 80 does not have such feature.

Vincent

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 18-Apr-02 04:59 PM
#14. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 12

US

What is the delay mode?
-scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

vscmak Registered since 28th Mar 2002Fri 19-Apr-02 09:52 AM
#15. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 14

Hong Kong, CN

SB 26 has a feature that allow you to set the timing when to fire the flash in response to the main flash. In delay mode, the SB 26 will fire at a slightly time lag behind the main flash. The manual says this is to ensure that the master flash 's exposure control would not be affected. The other option is the "simultaneous" mode where the SB 26 will fire at the same time when the main flash fire.

Vincent

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 19-Apr-02 01:13 PM
#16. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Wow...anyone tried the SB26 with a compact digital? I wonder if you can tweak the delay to fire with the second of the "double-flash".
-scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

ckng Basic MemberWed 24-Apr-02 03:00 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

>Correct me if I am wrong in stating that the SB-26 is the
>finest speedlight Nikon has ever produced!!
>
>The SB-28 is "neat", but never lived up to the SB-26 in
>quality or craftsmanship!!
>
>I am curious to know if this propossed SB-80 has the
>capacity to dethrone the reigning "queen" of all Nikon
>speedlights, the SB-26?
>
>Or will it come up short, as the SB-28 did?
>
>"If the SB-26 and SB-28 have truly conceived a child, have
>they named it the SB-80?"
>
>Imagine that, all the features of the SB-26, but with the
>SB-28's size & wieght!!
>
>ROCK ON!!
>
>-Vincent-

I have shot several weddings, events, etc with my (used) SB28, it never fell short. Results were very good. It's smaller lighter to carry around too. And I don't have to fiddle with different locks to swivel or tilt.

Regards
CK

henry Basic MemberWed 24-Apr-02 03:23 AM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Waiting for the price of sb 80 to come down. Fingers crossed.

Henry

-----
a californian's {quest in} new york:
http://www.zucken.com

and my photo site:

http://www.weddingsconcept.com

nishiki Basic MemberWed 24-Apr-02 06:33 PM
#23. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 22

Baltimore, US

The SB-80 looks to be a killer speedlight!!

I'm gonna play with one ASAP!!

-Vincent-

ROCK ON!!

ROCK ON!!

Fisheye Registered since 31st Jul 2002Wed 24-Apr-02 07:06 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#24. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 23

iLladelph, US

I just got myne yesturday, I cant put it down....

what a great flash

"No insults intended, im just a crazy (no, im MISUNDERSTOOD) adolencent" - The great and very famous Fisheye

Libra Basic MemberThu 25-Apr-02 02:26 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 24

>I just got myne yesturday, I cant put it down....
>
>what a great flash

Hi,

What do you mean by "great flash"? I am interested in getting one too. I am keen on street photography and at times shoot street processions. I need a powerful light. How far can your SB-80dx reach say with ISO 100 film at f3.5 aperture? Any idea how far can a SB-22s flash go with the same setting? Any rough guess?

henry Basic MemberFri 26-Apr-02 02:32 AM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 25

New York, US

Thom has a good review for sb80dx.

Here:

http://www.bythom.com/sb80review.htm

"If you shoot outdoors and expect the SB-80DX to light something further away than the SB-28DX can, you'll probably be disappointed. Remember, not only is light falloff working against you, but there are no walls or ceilings to reinforce what light you can throw. The 105mm setting for the flash head helps a bit, but there seems to be a limit to how well the Nikon heads can channel light over long distances. Nikon's manual doesn't list distances over 66 feet (20m), just as with the older flash units."

It seems like a sb28 with some new features added in. We'll see about it though. Waiting for prices to come down.

Henry

-----
a californian's {quest in} new york:
http://www.zucken.com

and my photo site:

http://www.weddingsconcept.com

vscmak Registered since 28th Mar 2002Fri 26-Apr-02 08:26 AM
#27. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 25

Hong Kong, CN

>How far can your SB-80dx reach say with ISO 100 film at f3.5
>aperture?

According to the manual, at zone head set at 105mm, ISO 100, the Guide number is 56 m. That is to say, with aperture set at F3.5, the flash can reach 16m.

Vincent

Libra Basic MemberFri 26-Apr-02 01:42 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: SB-26 & SB-80"
In response to Reply # 27

>>How far can your SB-80dx reach say with ISO 100 film at f3.5
>>aperture?
>
>According to the manual, at zone head set at 105mm, ISO 100,
>the Guide number is 56 m. That is to say, with aperture set
>at F3.5, the flash can reach 16m.

That's by itself great! For a flash to reach 16 m at f/3.5 is adequate or more than adequate for most purposes.

That's on paper. Have anyone with one (SB-80dx) try it out in the open space ..i.e. without the walls and ceiling to reflect the leftover lights. Will it actually reach 16 m outside?

Thanks.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1504 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.