Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #149
View in linear mode

Subject: "monitor pre-flashes" Previous topic | Next topic
dopey468 Basic MemberTue 24-Jul-01 06:01 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"monitor pre-flashes"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-01 AT 08:01 AM (GMT)

I recently purchased into the Nikon family. Previous to this, I was shooting an old manual camera I have had for 17 years. I would have upgraded a long time ago but had stopped being a "Photographer" for about 12 years.

I have a sb-28 and is shooting in 3D matrix mode but have never seen the monitor pre-flashes. I understand it is very difficult to see but have tried under various conditions. I have a friend who just purchased the EOS 3 with Canon's Speedlite 550EX. I am able to see the evauluative pre-flashes from his flash almost everytime he takes a picture. Is there a way I can check my sb-28 to make sure it is functioning properly?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: monitor pre-flashes
jrp Administrator
24th Jul 2001
f5fstop
25th Jul 2001
25th Jul 2001
f5fstop
25th Jul 2001
31st Jul 2001
f5fstop
31st Jul 2001
pjmckenna
26th Jul 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 24-Jul-01 10:08 PM
33940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Is there a way I can check my sb-28 to make sure it is functioning properly?

Well, the easiest way is to shoot a roll of slide film with it.

Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberWed 25-Jul-01 12:49 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

Private, UM

These pre-flashes happen so fast in the SB-28, that many people believe they are just part of the main flash. Remember, from the time you press the shutter release to the time the photo is taken is measured in milliseconds, and the time between the pre-flashes and the main flash are so close together, many people consider it all one flash.
However, have you tried to see if you can see the pre-flashes while someone else is taking your photo? It is almost impossible to see the pre-flashes from a photographer's point of view from behind the camera. However, it might be worthwhile to try.
However, as JRP states, take a roll of slide film with the flash and see how they turn out.

Also, since I'm not that familiar with Canon equipment this statement may be incorrect for that type of camera/flash combination. However, there are camera/flash combinations on the market that when triggered issue a series of flashe pulses versus one long duration flash. This is not to be confused with the Stroboscopic flash mode available on the SB-28, which creates some cool effects of moving object.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

NC, second week of October, 2001...

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

02496955 Basic MemberWed 25-Jul-01 10:36 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 2

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-01 AT 00:38 AM (GMT)

I do have a same question about monitor Pre-plashes. I think pre-plashes must be fire before shutter curtains open, so if pre-flashes exist, we can notice them in Slow Rear-Curtain Sync mode(Speed is more than 1 second). Please post results

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberWed 25-Jul-01 11:55 PM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 3

Private, UM

You are right, preflashes are fired prior to the first curtain opening, and after the mirror has flipped up; the light is actually monitored off the shutter curtain. However, in slow sync, the preflashes would be the same since the curtain (shutter) opens as it would for any flash mode; however, the shutter closes after a longer period of time to allow for background ambient light to be captured on film.
As for posting results? What results would you like posted?

Doug

02496955 Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 01:51 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 3

The results I like to post is ?do you see pre-flashes in Slow Rear-Curtain Sync mode?(Speed is more than 1 second)?. I don?t have SB28, but I test on build-in flash of F80 and SB26 on F80 (lens is Nikkor 80-200 f2.8D, then 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash must be performed.). Here is result: I have not seen the pre-flashes, only the fash fires at the end of the exposure.

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberTue 31-Jul-01 10:17 AM
#7. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 6

Private, UM

Makes sense to me, so that must be the way it operates. I personally, do not have the time to check out this flash mode, and I don't believe I have ever used it in prior shooting experiences.

Doug

pjmckenna Basic MemberThu 26-Jul-01 08:24 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: monitor pre-flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

Dear Dopey,
The Cannon E-TTL flash system fires preflashes which are seen by the same evaluative meter what makes 'normal' metering of ambient light. Obviously the mirror must be down for this to work. The time between the preflashes and main discharge firing has the extra step of the mirror popping up in E-TTL compared to Nikon Matrix-balanced flash metering.
-Sneezey

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #149 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.