nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Manual fill flash metering

adove1

NY,
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
adove1 Registered since 24th Jan 2006
Tue 09-May-06 12:51 PM

Hi all,

I have a Sb600 on my D70 and a pro friend recently tried to explain to me how to match ambient light with fill flash manually so that there is perfect exposure across the frame. It involved measuring incident light with the camera's meter and then somehow meshing that with a manual flash exposure calculation based on distance and guide number. I understand each of these steps in isolation but it's the melding of the two that I can't remember. I tried to replicate it later but haven't been able to and am too ambarrassed to ask him a third time!

Does anyone know the method to which I am referring? He said it was often used by Patrick Demarchelier and other fashion photographers to calculate flash when doing fashion shoots in the field.

I don't want to use TTL because I am trying to be less lazy in my photography and to understand more fully the interactions of ambient and artificial light, distance, and exposure.

Cheers,

Al

http://www.anicca.net/gallery/dove

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Manual fill flash metering