Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #14627
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another option?" Previous topic | Next topic
joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Mon 01-May-06 02:11 AM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another option?"

Woodstock, CA

I know a lot of questions are asked about this and it seems very much a personal choice but I just can't decide.

I cannot try the brackets beforehand in person without a bit of a drive so I am first seeking advice.

I have been leaning towards the stroboframe press t or the custom brackets cb junior. I don't want something too large and too goofy looking. I'm sorry I just find some of those really big brackets a little too much for me...

I like the idea of being able to change the orientation of the flash over the lens when doing vertical shots. I tend to do a lot of verticals so I like this option.

I mainly plan on using the bracket on the camera when doing candids and quick grab shots.

I find the handle on the cb junior seems to be in a useless spot. It appears as if it is only to carry your camera with?

I already own a sc29 off camera cable and I like the flexibility of using a bracket to keep the flash off camera so I am not slinging the flash over my shoulder on a dangling cable. Or do I want to attach and reaatach the cable when needed if not using a bracket.

I am wondering if there is perhaps another option to using off camera flash that isn't as bulky as a bracket?

These are just some random thoughts any advice would be appreciated...

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio
avm247 Moderator
01st May 2006
sixgun
01st May 2006
joey
01st May 2006
DavidRamey
02nd May 2006
jarvicj Silver Member
02nd May 2006
jghunter
02nd May 2006
joey
02nd May 2006
sixgun
02nd May 2006
DavidRamey
02nd May 2006
joey
02nd May 2006
sixgun
02nd May 2006
joey
02nd May 2006
DavidRamey
03rd May 2006
sixgun
02nd May 2006
DavidRamey
03rd May 2006
sixgun
03rd May 2006
DavidRamey
03rd May 2006
sixgun
04th May 2006
jarvicj Silver Member
16th Jan 2008
joey
02nd May 2006
jarvicj Silver Member
03rd May 2006
sixgun
03rd May 2006
sixgun
03rd May 2006
jarvicj Silver Member
16th Jan 2008
sixgun
04th May 2006
Drbee Silver Member
04th May 2006
RickW
04th May 2006
sixgun
05th May 2006
Drbee Silver Member
04th May 2006
sixgun
05th May 2006
joey
05th May 2006
jghunter
05th May 2006
joey
05th May 2006
sixgun
05th May 2006
joey
05th May 2006
sixgun
08th May 2006
IntegrityPhotos Silver Member
15th May 2006
Noel Holland Platinum Member
15th May 2006
jamesjudd Silver Member
16th Jan 2008
DavidRamey
01st May 2006
joey
01st May 2006
jamesjudd Silver Member
01st May 2006

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 01-May-06 03:06 PM
18317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Joey, personally, I like the CB Junior with cameras that have a vertical grip (like my F100). It can be used on cameras without one, but I don't find having my shooting hand above the camera very stable...for me.

I agree about the handle, it is designed more to elevate the flash arm and carry the rig around, not to be used when shooting. I do like the folding leg...it allows the rig to stand upright on a table.

You might consider the CB Digital-S or Digital-T (I would probably go with the Digital-T as when I shoot flash images, I prefer to have the shooting hand below the camera as demonstrated by JRP here - just imagine the flash and bracket).

As mentioned above, the Wemberly flash bracket is pretty cool and useful, but it was out of my price range at that time.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Two is one, one is none."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Mon 01-May-06 05:56 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Well I've seen this guy in use before
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52784&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

and its pretty slick. Small and unobstrusive. Doesn't really stick out.

Personally I use the Really right stuff bracket which is also a bit lower profile and has the advantage of being able to easily be used on a tripod. IT also breaks down and fits in the camera bag but it is several times the price of the stroboframe.

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Mon 01-May-06 10:33 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 4

Woodstock, CA

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have considered something like the lightsphere...however I already purchased a $100 cable and would feel like it is going to waste.. yeah I know a dumb reason.

I will have to think about it a bit more, all the suggestions have been more than helpful. so many choices....

thanks

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 02-May-06 12:54 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 6

Soldotna, US

The Wimberely can be used with wide angle, telephoto, macro, camera mounted or lens mounted. It can be configured to give a higher flash position or a lower flash position. I have used the stroboframes, CB's and a host of others and I like the lightness and the way you can custom configure the Wimberely to do anything you want it to do. After using the Wimberely, the rest of them feel like clubs.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

jarvicj Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jun 2004Tue 02-May-06 03:01 AM
150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 7

Henderson, US

Joey,
You may already have make your purchase, but if you feel the need to "upgrade" in the future, go with the Wimberley macro flash brackets. I have two and love them. Expensive.....yes, but easy to use and you can place the flash in a multiple number of positions...above...to the side...or below the lens. I have no trouble attaching them to the camera or lenses with RRS plates. Either hand held or on a tripod.
Carl

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jghunter Basic MemberTue 02-May-06 01:36 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 8

Lakewood, US

Joey,

I haven't tried the Wimberley and they sound to me like a better way to go. I can only tell you that I'd gotten the stroboframe and can't stand it I'd rather just hand hold the strobe than use that thing. So it's just collecting dust. I'd try to see if you could find someplace where you can actually handle one of them before purchasing one if at all possible.

Greg

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Tue 02-May-06 01:56 PM
#10. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 9

Woodstock, CA

Thanks again everyone...

The Wimberly macro bracket looks like an interesting unit. (althought is does fall into my goofy looking category a bit )

Greg interesting about hating the Stroboframe I fear that may be me.. Since I already am leaning that way and haven't even used it...

Which wimberly bracket would you suggest? It looks like some say the Macro and some say the Telephoto. It seems like you can really add to these kits which seems kind of fun....Any advice where to start?

Here is a quote from the store I would probably order from re: the macro bracket:

"The F-2 Macro Bracket consists of Modules 1 and 4. Module 4 (The Macro Extension) is comprised of two double ball and socket arms that lock positively and offer a great range of flash positions. The two modules that comprise this bracket combine to form a versatile macro flash bracket that works for both collared and non-collared lenses. You can also use this bracket for telephoto lenses. It is not as convenient as the telephoto bracket for this because you have to aim the flash at your subject (the telephoto bracket automatically aims the flash at your subject.). But, if you are a minimalist, this bracket will work for everything from a 50mm macro lens to a 600mm telephoto!"

also if at all possible could someone post some shots of using either of these brackets on their camera. With the Macro bracket it appears as if it could really throw your camera of balance but from what everyone is saying it appears as if it is quite comfortable to use.

Thanks...

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Tue 02-May-06 03:37 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 10

Austin, US

Have you checked out the RRS bracket?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/flash/index.html

The wimberly looks interesting but you've got stuff angled off everwhere. Kind of like an erector set. For me (you uses may vary) I want a bracket that will leave my flash in the horizontal orientation while letting my camera be in the portrait orientation. You get more even coverage. Looks like wimberly can do that but you have to buy, add and adjust another pieice if you want to make the switch.

When you start hanging flashes out at those distances balance becomes and issue.

I went with the RRS because it let you quickly and easily make the switch, left the flash in the proper orientation, easy to take down and put up and it works with an Acra-Swiss compatible gear. I can use it with my tripod, my L bracket on my camera or a long telephoto and isn't huge.

Its not flawless however.

You got lots to think about. You'll have to decide whats important to you. Also what feels good and seems nifty at the camera store for 2 minutes is a bit different than what you find yourself wanting toward the end of a long shoot where nothing has gone right...

If I didn't have the requirement to mount on a tripod or ever planned on using something larger than a SB-800 I'd probably have gone for the stroboframe I linked. Its small and slick.

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 02-May-06 04:13 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 11

Soldotna, US

Joey, if you want to flip the flash from horizontal to vertical, then the Wimberely macro is not what you want. You would want the Wimberely F-1 with moduals M-7 flash flipper and M-8 perpendicular bracket. This set up allows you to use the flash bracket mounted on the camera and flip the flash from horizontal to vertical when you flip the camera from horizontal to vertical. The advantage of this bracket set up over the RRS is the ability to pack it in your camera case without taking up so much room. The RRS bracket is a good bracket, but heavier and not as versitile as the Wimberely. The stoboframe is big and bulky and next to impossible to pack in most camera cases. The huge advantage of the Wimberely set up is you can add the different modules later on to be able to make up any kind of specialized flash bracket setup you can imagine. I own a few stroboframes and tried the RRS flash bracket and now own every Wimberely Flash bracket module they make. So I speak from first hand experience. I would suggest that you get the Wimberely and the RRS catalogs and go over which bracket would best do the job that you need done. You would not make a mistake buying either the RRS or the Wimberely.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Tue 02-May-06 08:23 PM
#13. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 12

Woodstock, CA

Thanks again. The RRS looks very slick and compact. I will give it a honest consideration.

The Wimberly on the other hand I can purchase with free shipping but it appears as if the flash flipper is another $120 and the M-8 is another $114 on top of the $249 for the F-1. I really like the ability to add pieces in the future but buying them all at once sure hurts the budget.

http://www.vistek.ca/details/results.aspx?pageNum=1&totalRows=40&q=wimberley

I am going to order a catalogue from both companies as previously suggested...

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I make out and in the meantime any other advice will be helpful...

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Tue 02-May-06 09:19 PM
#15. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 13

Austin, US

When you call up RRS ask them to send you one of their Demo DVD's. I had a hard time visualising exactly how some of their products worked and why I was shelling out close to $400 to replace my $70 stroboframe till I viewed that.

>I really like the ability to add pieces in the future but buying them all at once sure hurts the budget.<

Hey don't forget you need to have one of their plates or L-brackets to start with. Thats the "foundation" of work to come. Do yourself a favor and get the L bracket rather than the plate.

Also do you have an Arca-swiss compatible tripod clamp (or do you use a tripod?). If you ever get into macro or beyond handholding telephoto thats when this stuff starts to pay off big time.

This stuff isn't cheap but with the exception of the camera plate/L-bracket you only have to buy it once and can use it forever on anything you get. Of course it locks you in to the future when you look to "Expand" you have to get more top of the line stuff to be compatible with your other top of the line stuff.

Or you can pick up a $50 stroboframe quick flip, use it for a year or so and understand why you are willing to pay.

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Tue 02-May-06 09:40 PM
#16. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 15

Woodstock, CA

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do use a tripod, the head is a manfrotto joystick one.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2311?fullList=0%7C67%7C80%7C81%7C83&idx=83

I assume it is arca swiss compatiable.

So for the flash bracket you would need the following:

- F-1 Telephoto Bracket
why couldn't you just attach this to a quick release plate on the camera the same way it would on the lens and not worry about the m-8 or L bracket?

- M-7 Flash Flipper
so you have the option of keeping the flash over the lens

-M-8 Perpendicular Plate
this is to attach your camera to the bracket I don't quite understand why this one is needed exactly as mentioned before.

-L Bracket
which can be used in place of the M-8 plate.

I am starting to get a little confused about the parts could you post a link to the L-bracket you are talking about. sorry this is getting so drawn out we almost need to have a phone conference to sort out how to buy a flash bracket.

Thanks...

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 03-May-06 12:43 AM
#19. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 16

Soldotna, US

>Thanks for the reply. Yes I do use a tripod, the head is a
>manfrotto joystick one.
>
>http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2311?fullList=0%7C67%7C80%7C81%7C83&idx=83
>
>I assume it is arca swiss compatiable.

You assume wrong unless you changed the manfrotto clamp to an arca swiss compatible clamp.
>
>So for the flash bracket you would need the following:
>
>- F-1 Telephoto Bracket
>why couldn't you just attach this to a quick release plate
>on the camera the same way it would on the lens and not
>worry about the m-8 or L bracket?

Because a QR plate on the camera runs 90 degree different direction from a lens plate.
>
>- M-7 Flash Flipper
>so you have the option of keeping the flash over the lens

yes

>-M-8 Perpendicular Plate
>this is to attach your camera to the bracket I don't quite
>understand why this one is needed exactly as mentioned
>before.

read above
>
>-L Bracket
>which can be used in place of the M-8 plate.

An L bracket is not used in place of the M-8 plate. An L bracket is used so that you can flip your camera over to vertical without flopping the ball head into the ball head notch keeping the center of gravity over the center of the tripod.

>
>
>I am starting to get a little confused about the parts could
>you post a link to the L-bracket you are talking about.
>sorry this is getting so drawn out we almost need to have a
>phone conference to sort out how to buy a flash bracket.
>
Get the Wimberely catalog, it shows all kinds of setups and configurations.

>Thanks...
Your welcome.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Tue 02-May-06 08:54 PM
#14. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 12

Austin, US

Ok, I'm trying to understand the wimberly system. But cost not withstanding I see the following "issues" for my needs (joeys may vary).

It doesn't look like with the wimberly you can have the camera in portrait orientation and the flash in landscape orientation.

It doesn't look like you can clamp it down on a Arca swiss tripod clamp(or any tripod). Is there some other adaptor you can buy? I bought a wimberly universal mounting plate a while back so I can stick my PNS cameras on the A/S mount.

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 03-May-06 12:45 AM
#20. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 14

Soldotna, US

sixgun, I don't understand your questions.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Wed 03-May-06 04:34 PM
#22. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 20

Austin, US

Ok (and I just bought a RRS bracket after searching a lot).

I had the following requirements for a flash bracket.

A) The camera in the bracket needs to be able to mount into my arca-swiss clamp in either portrait or landscape orientation.
B) The flash needs to be able to remain in landscape orientation regardless of the orientation of the camera
C) I need to be able to quickly move the camera from landscape to portrait orientation and back with the flash ending up in landscape orientation.
D) The flash or camera needs to be steady and not likely to flop around in use.
E) The bracket fitting in my camera bag is a plus but not required.

I don't see that the wimberly can meet requirement A or B.
It meets part of C (the quick flip).
I don't know about D. Its really got some stuff hanging out. I'd wonder about balance while hand holding.
I think it will meet E.

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 03-May-06 09:34 PM
#24. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 22

Soldotna, US

>Ok (and I just bought a RRS bracket after searching a lot).
>
>I had the following requirements for a flash bracket.
>
>A) The camera in the bracket needs to be able to mount into
>my arca-swiss clamp in either portrait or landscape
>orientation.

The Wimberely mounts the exact same way as the RRS, so the answer is yes.

>B) The flash needs to be able to remain in landscape
>orientation regardless of the orientation of the camera

This I don't understand. You want the flash to cover the area of the sensor no matter what position the sensor is in. If the sensor is in a vertical postition, you want the flash in the same orientation.

>C) I need to be able to quickly move the camera from
>landscape to portrait orientation and back with the flash
>ending up in landscape orientation.

The Wimberely does this faster than the RRS.

>D) The flash or camera needs to be steady and not likely to
>flop around in use.

The Wimberely is rock solid, as solid as the RRS.

>E) The bracket fitting in my camera bag is a plus but not
>required.

The Wimberely fits in my camera bags easier than the RRS.

I tried the RRS bracket and the Wimberely. I bought the Wimberely because it is more versatile than the RRS for my shooting, lighter, and packs easier than the RRS. The RRS bracket is a great bracket. If the Wimberely didn't exist, then I would be happy with the RRS bracket. I just personally prefer the Wimberely. You bought a great bracket.

>I don't see that the wimberly can meet requirement A or B.

It meets A but not B.

>It meets part of C (the quick flip).

Yes

>I don't know about D. Its really got some stuff hanging out.

I don't know what "stuff hanging out". On the camera or lens it takes up about as much room as the RRS. Both are rock solid.

>I'd wonder about balance while hand holding.

The RRS and Wimberely both has about the same balance.

>I think it will meet E.

Seeing how you bought the RRS and it packs larger than the Wimberely, then YES.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Thu 04-May-06 02:03 PM
#28. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 24

Austin, US

>B) The flash needs to be able to remain in landscape
>orientation regardless of the orientation of the camera
>This I don't understand. You want the flash to cover the area of the sensor no matter what position the sensor is in. If the sensor is in a vertical postition, you want the flash in the same orientation. <

Not nesscarily. If your flash is in vertical orientation it tends to spread less from side to side. If you back a ways taking a full body portrait no biggie. But if your doing a waist up shot of a couple of people in that orientation the light falloff on the edges can be ugly. I’ve just noticed I get more even lighting in my shooting if the flash is in horizontal orientation.

Also I do a lot of bounce indoors and this is critical. If your flashes wide side is not running parallel to the focal plane in a horizontal orientation (that is to say if its not in landscape orientation) you can get uneven lighting, hot spots, dark spots and shadows where you don’t want them.

If you think about it a smaller fan of light is reaching you subject because more light is going to the left and right of you instead of in front or back of you. This more than anything is what drove me first to the stroboframe and then the RRS.

>I tried the RRS bracket and the Wimberely. I bought the Wimberely because it is more versatile than the RRS for my shooting, lighter, and packs easier than the RRS. The RRS bracket is a great bracket. If the Wimberely didn't exist, then I would be happy with the RRS bracket. I just personally prefer the Wimberely. You bought a great bracket. <

Yea, I’m getting to like it but have a couple of issues with it.
1) Balance – The flash arm has to be forward enough to allow me to grip the lens. This sometimes leads to some balance issues. But then the other brackets were side heavy instead of front heavy. No free lunch.
2) Cramping my style. There is sometimes not enough clearance between the mounting rail and the lens when its in portrait mode. Leaves you holding the rail and doing to zoom with the fingertips.
3) I wish it had a detint lock instead of a friction knob on the flash arm.

>I don't see that the wimberly can meet requirement A or B.
>It meets A but not B.

That would kill it for me.

>I don't know about D. Its really got some stuff hanging out.
>I don't know what "stuff hanging out". On the camera or lens it takes up about as much room as the RRS. Both are rock solid. <

Even if the actual joints and attachments are solid (I hope) when you start hanging things that far out off your camera balance and leverage become issues as well as snags and jostles in crowds. Even with the RRS bracket vs camera hotshoe I noticed my walking “space” increased. Not an issue unless your in crowds or on a trip to Asia. Both of which I do.

jarvicj Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jun 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:18 PM
150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"

Henderson, US

Are you looking for this setup? D70, SB800 using a Wemberley on a tripod using a RRS 55 ballhead and a "L" plate.

Front and side views. Sorry for poor quality, taken with a point and shoot.

Carl

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Tue 02-May-06 10:57 PM
#17. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodstock, CA

Thanks so much Carl... I was considering the Macro Bracket but now I am leaning towards the Telephoto one. The photos really help. It is tough to find large enough ones to see what is going on. To be honest as of now I do not know what I want I am just researching it.. thanks so much for taking the time to do that it is very helpful..

jarvicj Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jun 2004Wed 03-May-06 12:24 AM
#18. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 17

Henderson, US

Joey,
Glad I could help. These are really friendly and helpful forums. I've gotten alot of advice and help....the least I can do is give something back when I can. Good luck with your search and solution to your quest.
Carl

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Wed 03-May-06 04:38 PM
#23. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 17

Austin, US

If you can think long term and figure out what your current and future needs are you can buy quality now and not have to spend money ever again.

For starters you need to check out and understand Arca-swiss compatible clamps/ball heads and brackets. Make up your mind if you are going to go with that standard. It will lock you into buying top of the line gear, but it really works with no comprimises or problems.

While its possible to use your existing ball head you'll probably end up getting a new one.

Check out the RRS head, Arca Swiss head and the Markins head. They are all top preformers. Its largely a matter of preference.

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Wed 03-May-06 04:26 PM
#21. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Thanks for the picture. Looks like an erector set. But how easy is that to flip to landscape?

jarvicj Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jun 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 01:18 PM
"RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"

Henderson, US

Camera in Landscape

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Thu 04-May-06 01:14 PM
#25. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

Ok, but what did it take to make that switch? Was it a matter of rotating things or do you have to pull the bracket off and move it?

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Thu 04-May-06 02:03 PM
5696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 11

Naperville, US

I'm looking at the RRS bracket and thinking about my D200 and adding a SC-29 instead of the SC-17. Does the RRS bracket block the SC-29 sensors in the "horizontal" position. From the rotating images on the RRS site, it looks like the sensors would be blocked.

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

RickW Basic MemberThu 04-May-06 10:27 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 27

US

>I'm looking at the RRS bracket and thinking about my D200
>and adding a SC-29 instead of the SC-17. Does the RRS
>bracket block the SC-29 sensors in the "horizontal"
>position. From the rotating images on the RRS site, it looks
>like the sensors would be blocked.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>>face="Tekton"]Roger

Yes it does. It is the only knock (other than the breathtaking price) that I have with this bracket. If you are looking for a fast, easy flip, this is the way to go. But - it is heavy, expensive and does block the SC29.

None of these problems bothers me particularly. I find the plusses far outweigh the minuses. By the way, I also own 3 different Stroboframes ("flip", Press T and the VR flip) and a Wimberley.

I ALWAYS use the RRS when I need a bracket with 2 natable exceptions. The Wimberley is the way to go when you use long glass or for shooting macro. It is far easier to aim the flashhead where you need it to point since the 2 sets of articulated arms are almost infinitely adjustable.

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Fri 05-May-06 01:08 PM
#30. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 29

Austin, US

He summed it up. The SC-29 is not the best cord to use with the RRS (its what I use because its all I've got and it works). Your better served with the SC-17. Doesn't have a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Thu 04-May-06 01:39 PM
5696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 4

Naperville, US

Hi folks,

I spent all last night with this thread and browsing all the suggestions. An amazing array of solutions. I was at a wedding last week where the primary photographer was using one of the Stroboflip brackets on a D70. It looked like to trip the shutter the photographer had to squeeze his hand between the camera grip and the horizontal flash support - it looked awkward at the least and slow. I have big hands so it looked very tight to me. However, in spite of how it looked, the handheld camera was not moving.

I've been very happy with the Stroboframe quickflip that I bought decades ago and it seems to fit my meager needs. Certainly in this thread the "Quickflip" seems to be pretty low on the pecking order. I'm curious what the other solutions are offering that the very simple QF can't provide (for the smaller cameras). Sorry for the dumb question, my experience is limited and most of the working photographers I've come across are using the lower tier solutions.

Best Regards,

Roger

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Fri 05-May-06 01:34 PM
#31. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 26

Austin, US

I'm curious what the other solutions are offering that the very simple QF can't provide (for the smaller cameras).

I’ve used the quickflip too, wasn’t thrilled with it. Here were its flaws as I found them.

- Having to screw it onto the bracket. Limits flexibility. Makes it harder to use the bracket without preparation.
- Lack of lockdown on the camera. You screw the thing down and over the course of use it tends to dip (go off axis parallel to the camera).
- Lack of balance when it dangles around your neck while your hands are busy.
- Inability to use it with a tripod (killer)
- Inability to use it with the camera in portrait orientation, flash in landscape without flipping things around and having the flash at a huge levered position (killer)
- Having to hold the bracket with the left hand for a steady grip. Slows you down, going back and forth between the zoom and the bracket.
- It can flip and flop when you don’t want it too. Lean out or rotate the camera a little too much to get the shot and “flop”.

It is however the most cost effective solution and if your demands are not too high it works pretty well. I used one for a while and for the most part it worked pretty good. But there were things I wanted to do that I couldn’t. So I moved on.
These High $ brackets we are talking about might be overkill. They are designed to be used by pros to give you the maximum amount of flexibility with the minimum amount of hassle.

Often times what you pay for with the high end gear is not that it can do something that the lesser stuff cant. With time and effort and focus you can probably do more or less the same thing. But with the high end stuff you don’t have to spend the time, the effort and the focus. You can worry about the shot as opposed to fighting your equipment.

Heres another way of thinking of it –
I can take a few hundred dollars worth of “lower grade” camera equipment and take a shot, tweak, massage, adjust and process the heck out of it on the computer for an hour and get an image that looks substantially close to something that came off of gear costing multiple thousands of dollars. If I can do that why do I need the high end stuff? I got the same result. Well that’s all fine, but now I just shot a wedding or event and I have 200 pictures to do instead of one. I’m in trouble…

The other value of the high end gear is when the situation starts getting marginal (bad light, wind, fast action etc) the lower end stuff starts to not be able to do the job, period.

But ask yourself what your needs really are. The quick flip may do the job.

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Fri 05-May-06 02:23 PM
#32. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 31

Woodstock, CA

It is me again...

I can't believe how much information we have accumulated in this post.

I really do want the Wimberley bracket or the RRS however it is tough finacially at this point so I am not sure.

I received an offer to purchase a Newton Di100FR2 Folding Flash Rotator Bracket 2nd hand I am wondering your views on this bracket:

http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/new_page_24.htm

I have heard alot of good about it. My main concerns are not enough clearance with certain lenses, looks that is creates cramped space when trying to hold the camera, also the flash isn't really any higher off the camera than it would be on the hot shoe. This one looks to me to make handholding somewhat awckward..but I could be wrong.

the flipping mechanisim looks great, overall my biggest concern with my bracket purchase is to keep the flash on top of the camera along with comfort.

thanks

joey

jghunter Basic MemberFri 05-May-06 03:12 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 32

Lakewood, US

>the flash isn't really any higher off the camera than it would be on >the hot shoe.

I've never tried this but with this not being much further off the camera than the hot shoe I don't really see any advantage to it.

Greg

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Fri 05-May-06 03:42 PM
#34. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 33

Woodstock, CA

That is what I was thinking I know you can adjust the height but I don't know how high. I was reading somewhere else that the maker of these brackets doesn't feel it neccesary to have it high to create great flash pictures... go figure? I almost think that this bracket is strictly for changing the flashes orientation in protrait and landscape mode and it would be helpful with using bounce flash too....

hey! am I respponding to my own post...????

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Fri 05-May-06 07:28 PM
#35. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 32

Austin, US

>I really do want the Wimberley bracket or the RRS however it is tough finacially at this point so I am not sure.
Well ask yourself this.

You have a quick flip right? What about it do you not like? What needs does it not meet? How often do you have those needs and how important is it for those needs to be met when they come up?

I used other brackets for years. But finally it came to a head when I had to be able to use a tripod and a flash at the same time to get the image I wanted. I got tired of having the bracket flip on me, being loose in the tripod etc.

>I received an offer to purchase a Newton Di100FR2 Folding Flash Rotator Bracket 2nd hand I am wondering your views on this bracket: <

Looks like the same basic design as the stroboframe that I posted but better built. The arm that holds the flash looks like it can go up or down, so you could increase or decrease vertical clearance.
As long as you’ve got enough horizontal clearance for the lens to not touch that’s good enough. Your holding it on the other side so its not going to be an issue.

How much are they asking for this?

>the flipping mechanisim looks great, overall my biggest concern with my bracket purchase is to keep the flash on top of the camera along with comfort. <

As long as it holds it steady I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Why do you tell us what kind of flash work you do?

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Fri 05-May-06 08:08 PM
#36. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 35

Woodstock, CA

Thanks for the reply...

I do not have a quick flip. I was thinking of going that route until all the suggestions I've gotten here...then I have been reconsidering some things.

As far as a price it is "a reasonable offer" I haven't yet decided on the purchase but I have been in contact through email with another member on this site.

Basically, the type of flash work I plan on doing is bounce flash or just ugly straight on camera flash in quick candid type situations. I shoot vertically alot and feel a bracket could be helpful at some weddings I have coming up. I do a lot of hand-held work although I use a tri-pod alot too.

I understand a flash bracket isn't going to make or break me...I am currently a full-time 2nd year photography student (on a tight budget) who intends on running/building his own business in portraiture, weddings etc... as of now I casually shoot weddings about 2-3 a year and have been doing this for the last 5 or so years. This is why I am so picky since I plan on doing this for a living and money is tight so I want to limit upgrades as much as possible since I feel like alot of stuff I own is in "upgrade mode".

thanks...

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Mon 08-May-06 02:00 PM
#37. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 36

Austin, US

>Basically, the type of flash work I plan on doing is bounce flash or just ugly straight on camera flash in quick candid type situations. I shoot vertically alot and feel a bracket could be helpful at some weddings I have coming up. I do a lot of hand-held work although I use a tri-pod alot too. <

Well for bounce work in portrait orientation a bracket is almost a must.

You’ve obviously got to prioritize your purchases. In particular what gives you the most expanded capacity for the buck.

If money is tight I’d stick with the cheapest flash bracket that will do the job (probably that stroboframe that Linked). It’s the same basic design as the more expensive bracket but cheaper. Then once you’ve settled down a bit and gotten established you can spend the bucks on a real bracket and sell your old bracket for $20 less than you bought it for. By then hopefully you’ll have figured out what you need in a bracket.

That other bracket you are considering used is probably a quality item, will work for what you do now (hand held flash) but its not going to be so hot on a tripod.

One exception this might be how much do you need it on a tripod AND what kind of tripod/head do you have. I bought one cheap-ola tripod a while back, used it for a couple of years till my lenses started getting too big and my requirements greater. Then I bit the bullet and got a good Gitzo and Arca-swiss head. That hurt $$ but in terms of stability, ease of use, reliability. No contest. Of course my flash bracket wouldn’t attach to my tripod any more (but even when it did it flopped around and wasn’t all that stable).

If you need to use the bracket on the tripod AND you have an Arca-swiss clamp then go out and buy another case of Ramen get the Wimberly or the RRS.

I tend to look at it this way. If I don’t know what I want I buy the cheapest thing that will do the job. I use it, learn and figure out if I really need that function. If after a time I decide that function is worth having and having right I spend the $ and get the good stuff.

Don’t fall into the trap of buying mid range gear unless you know it will meet your needs and your needs will never change. The usual pattern of people who are shy to spend is this.

I buy the cheap stuff. There are 13 reasons I don’t like it and it doesn’t really do what I need it to do.

So I buy the low end mid grade. It works better but still fails on 6 reasons.

So I buy the High end mid grade. It works more or less but there are still a couple of things that annoy the heck out of me.

So I finally buy the high end stuff and I am happy.

In the mean time I’ve probably spend 2-3x what I would have “upgrading” than if I had bought the high end stuff right the first time.

But when cash is low and you’ve never used the good stuff its really easy to ask “Is this stuff really worth 5x the price”?
If you use it and use it a lot (which it sounds like you will) the answer is always yes.

So think about this not just as a flash bracket but part of a system. I can’t tell you how rude it was when I hauled high dollar tripod and cheap-o flash bracket out to a portrait shoot and suddenly realized I could use one or the other but not both. Hmn, which do I want to compromise on, my flash or my stability.

If funds are limited you’ve got to figure out what you use most and need most. If 95% of my shots are handheld indoors while I’m in motion a good flash bracket is going to get a lot more mileage than a tripod. But on the other hand if I can’t even get the job unless I can take that 5% telephoto pictures and they are tack sharp…

You’ll have to call it as you see it.

So my summary advice is this-

Make a 2 year plan – In two years I think I will be doing This and this and this.

To do these things what gear do I need.

Whats the best out there that does the job. Write it all down and with prices and everything.

Find out what attended gear is needed that you may not think about. For example I’m going to be shooting sports. Ok I need a good fast 70/80-200 F2.8. Am I using a tripod? No, well guess I better get the VR version, $1700, ouch.

What about this used 80-200 for $850 and I’ll use a tripod. Yes, well I guess that means I need to mount this on the tripod somehow. Oh, a lens collar? Oh, a tripod foot for the lens collar. The lens is going to attached to what? Oh, a D2x, that’s little bit heavier than my D70. I guess I’m going to need a better tripod than that Velbon I got from Ritz a couple of years ago. Oh legs AND a head. Oh dear. That $850 lens could really use $1000 worth of support. Am I really shooting sports $2000 worth?

After you get your wish list together prioritize based on the type of work you want to do (or are doing). What is going to get you the most use for the least investment. If your business opportnities change (I just got this great gig shoot birds) then change your priority list.

The key is to look at it as a long term big picture rather than a peace meal acquisition. This will save you a lot money in the long run but leave you really itching for new stuff that you could “afford” today but are deferring because your saving up for something more useful.

IntegrityPhotos Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2006Mon 15-May-06 02:50 AM
1253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Deerfield, US

Joey
Hopefully this reply is in time to help with your decision on the Newton Camera Bracket. I went through your process some years ago, as I was doing more event photography. Having voided the Stroboframe options previously, I started researching the more expensive options. As I was more flexible financially, I finally settled on two: the Wimberly system, and the Newton Rotating Camera Bracket, for my D1X. Over the last few years, I've ended up using the Newton far more than the Wimberly, since it's easier to set up and forget. (The Wimberly is now reserved for nature use on long telephotos.) I've modified the Newton to utilize two flash units, both offset about 6" to the left and right of center, with one the master and the other the slave. It took a little searching to find an arm to extend to the right (from my view) but it ended up being a Stroboframe part that was quite inexpensive. I also modified the Newton with an Arca Swiss plate on the base, for quick installation on a tripod similarly equipped, and, after talking to Robert Newton, the owner, asked him to modify the custom camera plate(s) that fit(s) the Bracket with Arca Swiss grooves, so the camera can quickly be switched out of the Bracket onto a tripod by itself. I've also modified it from time to time to accommodate my D70 and now D200. The latter works best as it more closely centers the camera in either landscape or portrait aspect.

It's really a slick system, and the best of any others I've found for stability, protability, and functionality, particularly for switching from landscape to portrait aspect. You can either purchase it through Newton directly, or through B&H, which is the only distributor he uses. Good luck!

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberMon 15-May-06 10:11 AM
2171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

TH

Another option for the real stripped down method.

A SC-29 cord and a SK-7 bracket. Mount the bracket on the base of the camera with the end over on the right hand side. Unfortunately the SK-7 is not long enough to let you mount on the right hand side facing forward, but if you mount the flash with it's back to the camera you can twist the head round to the front. It's a tight fit and the flash is very close to the lens axis so it's only much use for fill-in flash in daylight rather than as a primary light source. But it does work quite well in that role and similar rigs are used by the paps at the film premieres in London's Leicester Square. It also requires you to hold the camera at the base and use the secondary shutter release button when in landscape mode but it fits a whole lot better in portrait mode.

Given that the SK-7 is only £10 and weighs hardly anything it's worth having in your kit bag as a just in case item - if you can find one in stock anywhere.

jamesjudd Silver Member Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:18 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Aside from wireless or hand-held I can't think of any option other than a bracket. I like Wimberley's system: http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-main.cfm

My wife shares your opinion of flash bracket goofiness. Here's the first picture I took of her with my new toy in January.

James D70 1/15s f6.3 18-70mm@70mm iso 200

James

My Nikonians gallery

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Mon 01-May-06 05:12 AM
#1. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 40

Soldotna, US

I agree, the Wimberely is the best out there and a lot lighter than the other companies that makes flash brackets.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003Mon 01-May-06 12:16 PM
#2. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 1

Woodstock, CA

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a few questions it says they are telephoto brackets is there a reason they could not be used with a wider lens? or perhaps telephoto means something entirely different. It seems like you need to buy an extra attachment for the flash to flip. Sorry about all the questions I'd hate to spend my limited student budget on something and just have it sit in my closet...

thanks

jamesjudd Silver Member Charter MemberMon 01-May-06 06:49 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do I want a Flash Bracket or is there another optio"
In response to Reply # 40

Atlanta, US

On my commute in this morning I recalled an option you might like- Gary Fong's Lightsphere II- it allows you to get the height/positioning of a flash bracket using direct hotshoe mount, is $48, and diffuses the light nicely from what other Nikonians have said. I just put in my order:

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html

James

James

My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #14627 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.