nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB-800 & D200 Quick Crash Course: Very Specific Situati

3XP05UR3

73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
3XP05UR3 Registered since 30th Mar 2006
Tue 18-Apr-06 11:29 PM

I'm a fairly new d200 and sb-800 owner. Love them both. Life changing stuff.

I'm using the camera for some product shots for our business. I've jury rigged a simple tabletop setup with a 250W strobe with a big softbox and some white foamcore acting as reflectors. The softbox provides a good backlighting situation.

They're coming out so much better than I ever thought I could be capable of. But I'm finding that the products (blue semi glossy bottles approx. 6" tall) are coming out slightly dark. I got the SB-800 to use as a simple fill light. Now here's the problem:

I want to keep the sb800 off camera positioned exactly the same every time. This is fine when its in acting as a slave and the d200 controls it in commander mode. BUT it will not fire the backlighting strobe. I've tried hooking the strobe up to the camera AND the sb800, none of it seems to work. Is there some sort of setting I am totally overlooking? If I had the time I would have my nose in the manual but I need to shoot this Thursday.

So, what do you experts have for me?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB-800 & D200 Quick Crash Course: Very Specific Sit

G