nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sun 22-Jul-01 09:08 PM

Hi:

Recently changed back to NIKON and have a N90s with a SB26 flash. Great combination and am getting exceptionally great exposures (as one would expect)... However, one of the reasons I went with the N90s and SB26 was to take advantage of HS flash synch (up to 1/4000 of a second). Obviously allowing great control of dof outdoors....

After getting all home and beginning to play with it... it appears (based on my understanding of the manuals and equipment) that to actually do HS synch above the defaulted 1/250 of a second, you have to do all sorts of manual calculations and settings which would be time consuming and in many instances require "loosing the moment"...

Some questions:
1) HELP!!!!!!!! Is this really the case, or am I misunderstanding the manual? In reviewing Ken Rockwell's evaluations http://kenrockwell.com/ it might appear that I am dead on.. it is a very cumbersome affair.

2) If this is the case, is this the situation with ALL NIKON combinations of bodies and flashes? In other words... would I face the same situation with a F100 and SB 28?

3) Finally.... does anyone know if this is the same with HS synch on Minolta and Canon? Not that either of these systems is an option, but at least if it is "automatic fill flash" up to 1/4000 or 1/8000 (as in Minolta) then possibly there is a chance NIKON might follow suit in the future...

Really appreciate drawing on your knowledge out there Nikonians!!

Thanks,

Bob - Dallas, TX

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High Speed Synch