nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13908
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY" Previous topic | Next topic
yo_andrew Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2006Mon 20-Mar-06 10:48 PM
3204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"

marina del rey, US

Will my SB-28 work well on an F-6, or does the SB-600/800 offer significant advantages?
Is the SC-17 sync cord the appropriate one for simple off-camera use for these combos?
And will it also work with my F-4 and F100?
What is recommended?

thanks, andy

Not till we have lost the world do we begin to find ourselves.

"THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE"
Not till we have lost the world do we begin to find ourselves

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Mar 2006
edmun
21st Mar 2006
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
21st Mar 2006
edmun
21st Mar 2006
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
21st Mar 2006
yo_andrew Silver Member
21st Mar 2006

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 20-Mar-06 11:00 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

the F6 is fully compatible with (film) TTL, including Nikon's default 3D multi sensor balanced fill flash with the SB-28. It is also fully compatible with Nikon's I-TTL system in the SB-800 and SB-600.

The big difference from what I understand is that with TTL, the monitor preflashes establish the amount of flash burst to be used and during the exposure, the camera continues to monitor the flash output.

With I-TTL, the preflash determines the flash output. There is no fine tuning of the flash output during the exposure.

The SC-17 will work just fine with the F6, F4 and F100. The difference between the SC-17 and the SC-28 is in the hot shoe connection (foot).

For the record, the SB-800 (and SB-600) are backwards compatible with Nikon's film bodies allowing TTL flash exposure with the F4 and F100 and I-TTL with the F6.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Two is one, one is none."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 21-Mar-06 01:19 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Just to clarify -- on flim cameras the SB600 and SB800 function as TTL flashes and do not use a preflash as they do only on digital cameras with the iTTL system.

This is because the flash can be reflected of the surface of the film during exposure to a exposure sensor out of the film path and not in the mirror or in a place where it is reflected to.

I can say this with personnel experience as I use the SB800 on a F100.

I also use the flash on a D70 and there is a noticible pre-flash there.

iTTL only applies to digital cameras.

(I am unclear whether CLS works on film cameras) CLS is a very nice system as you can control remote flashes from a master unit and still have through the lens metering.

I was at a model shoot sunday and my friend used it and could move flashes with out having to re-meter -- he just moved them and the ratios stayed the same as he dialed in at the beginning of the day.

ledmun

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 21-Mar-06 01:47 AM
3745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 2

Farmington Hills, US

Actually the F6 does both the film style TTL with Off the Film flash metering with older flashes and digital i-TTL/CLS with the SB-800/600.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 21-Mar-06 09:28 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

So does it have a preflash before the shutter opens when mounted and used on a F6.

ledmun

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 21-Mar-06 01:51 PM
3745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 4

Farmington Hills, US

I don't have a SB-800 or SB-600 so I'm repeating what is in the Nikon Manual and Thom Hogan's eBook. Yes the F6 does the i-TTL preflash sequence with theses SBs. Using i-TTL/CLS with the F6 is the same as using the D2X.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

yo_andrew Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2006Tue 21-Mar-06 02:37 PM
3204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-28/ F-6/ SC-17 COMPATIBILITY"
In response to Reply # 0

marina del rey, US

Somehow my earlier thank you post did not make it to this thread. So THANKS. It now seems clear that there is no compelling reason for me to feel the need to upgrade My SB-28.
And, I have since learned that the SB-28 supercedes the SB-17 with some minor improvements.

best, andy

Not till we have lost the world do we begin to find ourselves.

"THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE"
Not till we have lost the world do we begin to find ourselves

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13908 Previous topic | Next topic