Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13276
View in linear mode

Subject: "Autoshow Flash Photography Sb-800" Previous topic | Next topic
akhhorus Registered since 31st Dec 2005Fri 17-Feb-06 11:30 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Autoshow Flash Photography Sb-800"

Toronto, CA

Hi everyone

I am attending the 2006 Canadian International auto show as an employee at one of the manufactures exhibits. This will allow me the opportunity to arrive hours before the public and get some great shots of the cars on display.

My equipment is a D50 with the 18-55 kit lens and an sb-800. I am just new to flash photography and i am having a hard time mastering the sb-800.

Can anyone give me any advice on how best to utilize my sb-800 together with the d50 and 18-55 in the auto show setting to get the best exposed pictures capturing as natural as possible the lighting used at the exhibits? Should I be shooting with straight flash or bounce? Should i use a diffuser at all? TTL or TTL BL? Matrix metering or center weighted? Would it be better to skip the flash and shoot at iso 1600 instead?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 17-Feb-06 11:52 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Autoshow Flash Photography Sb-800"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Tripod and avialble light may be your best solution. Set camera on A at f11, f8 or F16. Do custom white balance.

Flash with shinny surfaces is tricky and bouncing will probably not give you enough light.

ledmun

JM Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sat 18-Feb-06 03:53 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Autoshow Flash Photography Sb-800"
In response to Reply # 1

US

To clarify the first reply...
Flash and glossy or shiny surfaces cause severe 'hot spots' of reflection minimizing any advantage of flash use. Even tripod and availabe light may not be the perfect solution. Many feel the optimum lighting for autos is outdoors on a cloudy day using a solid tripod.
Halls used for most 'shows' be they auto, industrial or hobby usually lack usable surfaces to 'bounce' a flash off of. A 10 to 15 foot white ceiling is a good bounce but 40 foot high strut laced superstructure of a caverous hall means you'd need a GN of 80 at 100ISO just to get light usable at the subject if your like 1 foot away. If your 20 feet away and a 40 foot ceiling (even if it was a good reflective surface) you'd need 100GN@100ISO just to get light at the subject.
Got it???

JM
The Chicagoan

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 18-Feb-06 04:27 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Autoshow Flash Photography Sb-800"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Thanks for explaining my too brief comments.

With a tripod you can move around and move the hot spots till they are in good spots.

ledmun

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13276 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.