nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting

fergdaddy

51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fergdaddy Basic Member
Wed 27-Mar-02 05:29 PM

Here's a question that even with Thom Hogan's book and all the manuals I havn't sorted thru.

It's been stated by Thom Hogan and others that the fill flash modes should be used to compliment ambient light and that for shots where the flash is the primary light source the camera should be set to TTL mode. This means placing the camera in manual mode(not using aperture, shutter or program settings)

The SB 28 has a setting for TTL matrix, TTL center weighted and plain ole TTL. Question is, what setting should you use on the camera and SB-28 to get the best TTL setting where the flash is the primary light source? If the camera is set to automatic modes(not manual) and the flash set to TTL, (not TTL matrix or TTL center weighted balanced fill modes), what is the camera using? Is it using TTL since that is what the SB-28 is showing even though the camera is not in manual? Or does the camera have to be in manual and the SB-28 also have to be in straight TTL mode to get the desired TTL setting?

What I'm wondering is, if the camera is in an automatic mode, but the flash is in TTL mode, is the setup in TTL? If the camera is in manual and the SB-28 is set to matrix TTL ot center weighted TTL is the configuration setup in a fill flash mode or is it in a straight TTL mode.

I know this may sound confusing, but the manuals provide for plenty of interpretation and confusion. I just wanted to be sure I could configure camera and flash correctly to discern between when I wanted the flash as primary light source or just provide fill effect.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Keith

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting
          Reply message TTL + Matrix Setting
               Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting
                    Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced

G