nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1316
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting" Previous topic | Next topic
fergdaddy     Basic Member Wed 27-Mar-02 06:29 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"

Here's a question that even with Thom Hogan's book and all the manuals I havn't sorted thru.

It's been stated by Thom Hogan and others that the fill flash modes should be used to compliment ambient light and that for shots where the flash is the primary light source the camera should be set to TTL mode. This means placing the camera in manual mode(not using aperture, shutter or program settings)

The SB 28 has a setting for TTL matrix, TTL center weighted and plain ole TTL. Question is, what setting should you use on the camera and SB-28 to get the best TTL setting where the flash is the primary light source? If the camera is set to automatic modes(not manual) and the flash set to TTL, (not TTL matrix or TTL center weighted balanced fill modes), what is the camera using? Is it using TTL since that is what the SB-28 is showing even though the camera is not in manual? Or does the camera have to be in manual and the SB-28 also have to be in straight TTL mode to get the desired TTL setting?

What I'm wondering is, if the camera is in an automatic mode, but the flash is in TTL mode, is the setup in TTL? If the camera is in manual and the SB-28 is set to matrix TTL ot center weighted TTL is the configuration setup in a fill flash mode or is it in a straight TTL mode.

I know this may sound confusing, but the manuals provide for plenty of interpretation and confusion. I just wanted to be sure I could configure camera and flash correctly to discern between when I wanted the flash as primary light source or just provide fill effect.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Keith

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting jnscbl
28th Mar 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
28th Mar 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting thom
06th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting rwlee
28th Mar 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting Keith_S
29th Mar 2002
     Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
29th Mar 2002
     Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
29th Mar 2002
29th Mar 2002
          Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
30th Mar 2002
          Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting GilbertC
16th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
07th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting Ed
30th Mar 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting fergdaddy
31st Mar 2002
06th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
Reply message RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting Keith_S
06th Apr 2002
06th Apr 2002
          Reply message TTL + Matrix Setting jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
16th Jan 2008
               Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
16th Jan 2008
                    Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
16th Jan 2008
                         Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced henry
07th Apr 2002
                              Reply message RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
07th Apr 2002

jnscbl   US  Basic Member Thu 28-Mar-02 07:07 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 0

Keith,
you are in way over your head. That is the problem with reading too much of what the equipment gurus write. It is pointless trying to understand all the nomenclature and features and options, and combinations thereof. Instead, start with a problem, and seek a solution. If you can describe a particular type of shot that you are trying to get, or a situation that regularly gives you trouble, the answer will probably be short and sweet.

I do not have the SB28, and it apparently is a bit different from my old SB24, so I can't tell you what setting to use. But I can say this: for what it sounds like you are trying to do, you can set the camera to Aperture priority or even Program mode, centerweighted metering, and flash to whatever TTL mode. This will give fill flash where there is plenty of ambient light, and gradually become primary flash as the ambient light diminishes. If you want to force primary flash, then do this: set the exposure compensation to -1, and flash exposure compensation to +1. I use this setting quite often, and I can assure you it works fine. Once again, if you can describe what you want to do, there will probably be a simple solution.
-scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Thu 28-Mar-02 11:53 AM
35639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 1

Camera in P program mode.
Metering mode in center-weighted
SB-28 in TTL (no second icon by the side of the TTL one)
Flash away.

It seems there is no choice but to publish a teddy bear test.
So we shall do it .......... soon.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 07:07 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 2

> Camera in P program mode.
No. Aperture mode. Program mode restricts maximum aperture based upon ISO value. At ISO 50, that's not particularly annoying, but it gets progressively so at higher ISO values (f/5.6 at ISO 400). I have to laugh when I see Nikon shooters using balanced fill flash with their expensive f/2.8 optics in Program mode. You can't set f/2.8!

> Metering mode in center-weighted
Perhaps. This isn't really a necessary step for flash use on an N80, as in Standard TTL this doesn't stop the five TTL sensors from being used for the flash value. The only thing you're doing here is selecting the ambient exposure metering.

> SB-28 in TTL (no second icon by the side of the TTL one)
Correct. Only in Standard TTL do you know at what value the flash is firing.

My four-step setting instructions to get repeatable flash results with an external flash on an N80 is:
1. Camera in Aperture priority (or Manual) exposure mode.
2. Camera in Slow Sync (or Rear sync or Manual exposure mode).
3. Flash in Standard TTL (only TTL symbol shown, no matrix).
4. (Optional) If you want fill flash, dial in a negative flash exposure compensation on the flash (starting place: -1 for portraits, -1.7 for landscapes).

Steps 1 and 2 remove the camera-imposed ambient exposure limitations. Step 3 insures a repeatable flash value. Step 4 gives you control over the balance between ambient and flash.

Thom Hogan
author, Nikon Field Guide
author, Nikon Flash Guide
author, Complete Guides to the N65, N80, and F100
author, Complete Guide to the Nikon D1, D1h, & D1x
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
author, Complete Guides to most Nikon cameras
www.bythom.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 06:57 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 1

> This will give fill flash where there is plenty of ambient light, and gradually become primary flash as the ambient light diminishes.

While it may look like that's what's happening, it's more subtle and devious than that, and the end result is that at some point you'll get underexposed ambient AND flash.

Basically, Nikon builds a set of limitations into flash use that get in the way. In Program mode, the maximum aperture is limited (based upon ISO), as is the lower end of the shutter speed (unless slow or rear sync is selected). So what happens initially as you encounter less and less ambient light is that the ambient light ends up getting underexposed (because the camera can't set an aperture/shutter speed combo that works). But Nikon also dials in the flash level based upon scene brightness (in other words, it still tries to balance against the underexposure!), so flash levels are progressively lowered in low light. Worse still, the actual amount of flash is unknown, and varies with scene brightness, scene contrast, and focus distance.

What happens is that most folk who attempt to always use balanced fill flash modes eventually discover that they don't get repeatable results, especially in very dim and very bright conditions.

As for setting an exposure compensation to -1 and flash compensation to +1, I can almost guarantee you that that's not what you'll actually get. Oh, you'll get the -1 on the ambient exposure just fine, but the +1 is based off what the camera decided the flash exposure should be, which is an unknown value and varies with those variables already mentioned.

In short, that's NOT the way to take control of your camera and flash.

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to the N65, N80, F100
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
www.bythom.com

rwlee   Columbus, US  Basic Member Thu 28-Mar-02 11:09 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 0

I use the SB28 with my F100. And I agree that the majority of equipment books I've read skirt the issues of how actually to make best use of the features of this particular flash.

However, my limited experience suggest that with the F100 anyway, that the settings on the flash (regarding TTL) determine the flash's operation. You can have TTL in Aperature or shutter priority modes as well as Program. I've used TTL with matrix metering, as well as as center weighted. I tend to prefer center weighted metering when I use straight TTL settings on the flash (why...because I find center weighted to be a bit more predictable as to what compensation the flash may need)

Keith_S   Charlottesville, US  Basic Member Fri 29-Mar-02 04:13 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 3

OK, the, to add to the confusion (or hopefully clear up my confusion):

My understanding is that the flash sync shutter speed for the N80 is 1/125, which I take to mean that the shutter speed can't be any faster than 1/125 in order to have the flash work properly. Is this indeed the case?

If that is true, then wouldn't you quite possible have to use either manual or shutter priority if you wanted to use your flash outside as a fill (unless you have pretty slow film)? For example, if you are shooting 200 or 400 speed film outside and want some fill flash to knock the shadows out of your subject's face, unless you are really stopping down on your aperature priority, you would end up with a shutter speed much faster than 1/125...

One of these days I'm going to actually buy myself a flash and learn how to use it!!

Keith
Charlottesville, Virginia
U.S.A.

http://people.hsc.edu/faculty-staff/keiths/Photography/photo_home.htm

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Fri 29-Mar-02 08:07 AM
35639 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 4

Maybe the confusion comes from the old days when the flash output was always the same. This is not the case with the Nikon speedlights.
If you use the flash outside, it will set the max syc speed in the shutter depending on the camera you are using, then it will regulate the amount of light output from the flash to render the perfect exposure.
For portraits inside, P program, center weighted metering, TTL and let it do its magic.
For portraits outside, P program, matrix metering, Multisensor-matrix balanced TTL or matrix balanced and let it do its work.

John Shaw adds to the confusion when he states that his magical compensation is -1.7. Well that is for his personal taste, not wanting to show even the presence of flash, to make it look like natural light. And he does it superbly.
He goes further doing A priority shooting, but he is always watching if the reach is right on the back screen of the SB-28. As Ed very properly and in detail wrote elsewhere, you have to be at least two f/stops under the limit of its reach to make certain the exposure is right.
I will include this in my teddy bear test outside with and without much foreground.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources   Allen, US  Registered since 01st Jan 2003 Fri 29-Mar-02 01:20 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 5

>For portraits inside, P program, center weighted metering,
>TTL and let it do its magic.
>For portraits outside, P program, matrix metering,
>Multisensor-matrix balanced TTL or matrix balanced and let
>it do its work.

JRP - That's how I meter too except I use A mode to KNOW what f/stop was used. In totally dark environments I use the 1st as well.

Just to totally throw the conversation into flux - why do people use the P mode over A or S. I've never understood that mode's real value (since I don't ever use it....) Is there something magical it does that I haven't discovered ????

Lyle Stavast
My Humble Gallery

Lyle

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Fri 29-Mar-02 08:45 PM
#7. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 6

When with flash, P mode removes the concerns and need to check if you are within the boundaries of the flash and allows for more candid and faster shooting. This is for me a relief as I find myself frequently changing films for testing for the FAQs.
If I were always using a single film, most likely I would be on A mode as I become familiar and comfortable with its tolerances. My Konica Centuria 200 film, for example will always set the camera to f/5.6 and 1/60 to 1/125 depending on ambient light; so what's the difference if I switch to A mode as I would have to select f/5.6 anyway (unless I want to go below).
Control is largely a technological illusion. Nature is in control.

Have a great time

lstavast Awarded for his contributions to the Resources   Allen, US  Registered since 01st Jan 2003 Sat 30-Mar-02 02:15 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 7

Good explanation - P mode, mostly to avoid having to check in/out of range of exposure situations.

I think I'll try a few flash situations that seem a bit on the exposure/flash boundaries and see how it goes.

Thanks for the pointer.

Lyle Stavast
My Humble Gallery

Lyle

GilbertC   Taipei,   Registered since 24th Feb 2002 Tue 16-Apr-02 05:12 AM
293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 9

>Good explanation - P mode, mostly to avoid having to check
>in/out of range of exposure situations.

Though I've been a big fan of A priority but have some different thoughts on P mode, not related with flash but I found it very useful.

Note that both 950/990/F80 has a one-touch (or I should say one-rotate) P mode (A in 950/990 but it's in fact P mode) that we can switch to P without a look within 1 second, especially F80 has the P in the end of the rotate-dial that we can simply rotate the dial to the end without a look then it's in P mode for sure.
Just like what've been discussed we dont need to check for exposure boundary in P, so I used to switch to P when I suddenly see something worth my film and that something is passsing by in a hurry. The other occasion I'd use P is when I suddenly see something great but my camera is off, then I'll turn on the camera and make it P for fastest snap. I really appreciate Nikon makes the position of P in the end of the dial and that's indeed very useful! I believe they put it in this position for a reason and I'm taking adventage of it.

This is out of the original subject but that's indeed why I appreciate P mode.

Gilbert

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 07:22 PM
#16. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 7

> When with flash, P mode removes the concerns and need to check if you are within the boundaries of the flash and allows for more candid and faster shooting.
While I partially agree with this, and will sometimes use P mode myself in rapidly changing candid situations, I would strongly argue that if you have time, you're better off in A mode to remove the ISO restriction imposed.

Thom Hogan
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
www.bythom.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sun 07-Apr-02 02:59 AM
#20. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 16

I would strongly argue that if you have time, you're better off in A mode to remove the ISO restriction imposed
If you want to go to a lower, wider f/stop, yes. You would have to.
But it is a choice, not a need for perfect exposures.

Have a great time

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 07:32 PM
#17. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 5

> John Shaw adds to the confusion when he states that his magical compensation is -1.7. Well that is for his personal taste, not wanting to show even the presence of flash, to make it look like natural light. And he does it superbly.

Galen Rowell uses the same number, and there's a very practical reasoning behind it, which applies to how the toe of most slide film's response curve works. Essentially, they're trying to pull up shadow detail into the printable realm. In digital, I've found that I prefer -1.3 on scenics, though this seems counter-intuitive to me (my D1x has a much better response in the shadow area than, say, Velvia). For portraits, I usually suggest -1 stop as the starting place for flash exposure compensation for "balanced" flash. But all this applies only to slide and digital, where if you overexpose a highlight, you get clear acetate or paper. With print film, you can set a full ambient exposure and fire flash fully and not worry about blown out highlights. But if you shoot slides or digital, if you set the ambient exposure fully, you should set the flash down a bit.

Thom Hogan
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
www.bythom.com

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 07:13 PM
#15. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 4

> My understanding is that the flash sync shutter speed for the N80 is 1/125, which I take to mean that the shutter speed can't be any faster than 1/125 in order to have the flash work properly. Is this indeed the case?

Yes. And without Slow Sync set, in Program and Aperture exposure modes the camera will only set shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/125 of a second. Wanna bet how often that's going to get you proper ambient exposure?

> If that is true, then wouldn't you quite possible have to use either manual or shutter priority if you wanted to use your flash outside as a fill (unless you have pretty slow film)? For example, if you are shooting 200 or 400 speed film outside and want some fill flash to knock the shadows out of your subject's face, unless you are really stopping down on your aperature priority, you would end up with a shutter speed much faster than 1/125.

You've hit the nail on the head as regards to why low flash sync speeds are a problem. Even with the 1/500 flash sync speed on the D1 I've found situations where it was difficult to dial in fill. Since by the Sunny 16 definition with ISO 400 film on a typical sunny day you're at approximately f/28 at 1/125, you're SOOL with most Nikon lenses (solution: carry a non-graduated neutral density filter with you).

Thom Hogan
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
www.bythom.com

Ed   US  Basic Member Sat 30-Mar-02 05:29 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 0

JRP nailed it in his first reply to you.

For your situation, what Thom Hogan is saying is to turn off matrix-balanced fill-flash (whatever the Nikon term is for the camera/flash you're using). Which is what JRP said: use standard TTL - no 2nd icon. On my SB-24, I get standard TTL when the man-moon symbol is blinking.

> This means placing the camera in manual mode(not using
> aperture, shutter or program settings)

No, standard TTL does not mean manual mode. Standard TTL is a flash setting, not a camera body setting, so you can use it in aperture, shutter or program priority, and in matrix, or center-weighted. Note that JRP used program and CW in standard TTL.

Standard TTL differs from matrix-balanced flash (or 3D multi-sensor balanced flash) in that there is NO automatic compensation applied by the camera/flash system. If you need the flash to be the primary light source, any automatic compensation provided to the picture in matrix-balanced flash may not be beneficial, maybe even detrimental. The Nikon system will try to balance the overall effect, both flash and ambient light. Remember, your purpose is to have flash be primary source, and you want surroundings to be ignored. So use standard TTL, since there is no auto compensation.

Ed

fergdaddy     Basic Member Sun 31-Mar-02 04:30 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for all the great responses!

Your point about the settings on the SB-28 dictating what mode the camera exposure settings is in makes sense. Thom Hogan's comments about the camera body having to be set to manual for plain TTL must primarily relate to the built in flash. When the SB-28 is attached, I guess it doesn't really matter what exposure mode you are in, it just deppends on what the mode of the SB-28 is in, ie. TTL matrix, TTL CW, or TTL(no icon).

So I take that to mean, to switch between fill flash modes and primary light source, don't worry so much about whether the camera is in A, P, or Manual mode, you just control the type flash exposure by switching the modes on the SB 28. Does that sound right?? So for fill flash set the SB-28 to TTL matrix or TTL CW and for Primary light set to plain TTL?

Thanks for all the superb lessons in flash photography. It is the primary reason I picked up the N-80 and SB-28 was to improve the quality of my flash pictures.

Keith

fergdaddy     Basic Member Sat 06-Apr-02 05:33 PM
#11. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 10

JRP,

I'd love to see those teddy-bear shots!

Thanks!

Keith

thom   US  Registered since 27th Jan 2002 Sat 06-Apr-02 06:49 PM
#12. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 0

I answered this one privately, but I'll post the answer here, too:

The laminated card that comes with my N80 book applies to the internal flash. To set Standard TTL on the N80:

* The primary way to put the built-in flash into Standard TTL is to set Manual exposure mode. Curiously, this doesn't affect an external flash.
* The primary way to put the external flash into Standard TTL is by pressing the flash's mode button until only the TTL symbol is showing.
* Putting the N80 in spot metering mode will put either flash (internal or external) into Standard TTL mode.

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to the N65, N80, F100
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
and Nikon Flash Guide
www.bythom.com

Keith_S   Charlottesville, US  Basic Member Sat 06-Apr-02 07:37 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 12

Thom,

Thanks for taking the time to give us all of the helpful comments and explanations -- I actually feel like this is making perfect sense (probably a sure sign of misunderstanding, but what the heck!).

Keith
Charlottesville, Virginia
U.S.A.

http://people.hsc.edu/faculty-staff/keiths/Photography/photo_home.htm

fergdaddy     Basic Member Sat 06-Apr-02 11:57 PM
#19. "RE: SB 28/N-80 and TTL Setting"
In response to Reply # 18

Thom,

Wow! Thanks for the personal reply and thanks especially for taking the time to come here and post all the great responses to everyones follow-ups.

Keith

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Wed 16-Jan-08 02:18 PM
"TTL + Matrix Setting"

This is a sample of 3D Multi-sensor-matrix balanced fill flash (two icons) in exteriors, under harsh sunlight conditions.
Program mode: P.
Metering mode: Matrix
Flash aimed straight forward, no diffuser

Have a great time

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Wed 16-Jan-08 02:18 PM
"RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting"

For interiors:
Standard TTL. No other icon on the SB-28.
Program mode: P
Metering mode: Center-weighted
Flash aimed straight forward, no diffuser

Have a great time

#24. "RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced"
In response to Reply # 0

For Interiors. A bit more sophisticated for a softer light.
SB-28 at TTL (only, no other icon showing).
Program mode: P
Metering mode: Matrix
Flash mounted on stroboframe bracket
Flash head covered with StoFen Omnibounce diffuser
Flash aimed at the (low) ceiling.

Have a great time

henry   New York, US  Basic Member Sun 07-Apr-02 03:48 AM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced"
In response to Reply # 24

When using the normal TTL as primary light, does the metering mode affect the flash even if I am using M mode on my camera? I've never bother changing it to center weight mode (use matrix meter). I am wondering if someone can shed some light on this issue. And does it affect the same way if I am using P or A mode while using TTL as primary light.

If it does affect, how exactly (or how randomly) does it affect? The indoor pics came back have been normal.

Thanks!

Henry

-----
a californian's {quest in} new york:
http://www.zucken.com

and my photo site:

http://www.weddingsconcept.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Sun 07-Apr-02 04:07 AM
#22. "RE: TTL and no Matrix Setting flash bounced"
In response to Reply # 21

You are right. It should not make much of a difference if any. I change it as a matter of discipline, to remember what light I am trying to take into consideration under all circumstances. Under std TTL it should not matter. I will know for sure when I get back my slides fom the teddy bear tests next monday. I just could not get out of my home the entire week.

Have a great time

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #1316 Previous topic | Next topic