nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13065
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can SU 800 Trigger a SB-800?" Previous topic | Next topic
zoomring Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2005Sun 05-Feb-06 06:04 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can SU 800 Trigger a SB-800?"

Sacramento, US

I recently acquired an R1C1 macro ring flash. This uses the SU 800 mounted on the hotshoe with SBR200 flash heads triggered by IR signal. When not used for macro work, the flash heads can be positioned anywhere.

What I can't figure is how to integrate this with my SB 800 speedlite so I can use it and the flash heads around the room for special effect.

The manuals of both units are obtuse. Does anyone know how to do this?

"The has the of a "

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Hansvg Registered since 07th Jan 2007Sun 05-Feb-06 07:37 AM
579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can SU 800 Trigger a SB-800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Best, NL

I have the SB-R1 in backorder, so can't test anything right now.
But I understood that the SB-800 must be in Remote-mode, i.e. A, B or C.
Then the SU-800 should be able to fire and control that group, like the SB-R200's.
Hope this helps.

Further added/edited:
Page 42 a.o. of the instruction manual of your R1C1 shows how to deal with these groups A, B and C.
Page 69 of tye BB-800 instruction manual shows how to set it in "Remote". Then follow the instructions on page 78 a.o.

Hans

Happy with my new D800!
My Gallery
My webpage: Photoklix

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberMon 06-Feb-06 09:16 PM
2175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can SU 800 Trigger a SB-800?"
In response to Reply # 0

TH

Absolutely yes.

First open the battery door of the SU-800 and turn the small slider switch from Close-Up (Flower Image) to Commander Mode (Little Flashgun).

Press SEL to move the options over to the channel number on the right hand side and set the SU-800 to the chosen channel.

Press and hold SEL on the SB-800 to open the options menu and then Remote options (Two flashguns and wiggly arrows). From there select the REMOTE option, Then press and hold the SEL again to quit from the options menu. This will put your SB-800 into slave mode and then allow you to select the channel and group settings you wish for that flash.

Return to the SU-800 after setting up all the SB-800's in the groups you wish. Then on the SU-800 set the metering modes (TTL, AA, ^^ for Manual or --- for off) for each group.

Test the heads and groupings by pressing the orange flash test button on the back of the SU-800, that cycles through each group in turn to let you confirm that each head is set to the correct group.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 07-Feb-06 12:52 AM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can SU 800 Trigger a SB-800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Roger,

Other useful pages might be 80, 83, and 100.

Have fun!
Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #13065 Previous topic | Next topic