nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #12828
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why dont my SB800's fire outdoors?" Previous topic | Next topic
propicwannabee Registered since 13th Aug 2003Sun 22-Jan-06 04:00 AM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Why dont my SB800's fire outdoors?"

Reedsburg, US

Okay... So i have finally got the 2 flashes figured out with my D70. I practice practice practice, in my house for 3 days... Today I go out gonna be all cocky and everything, Put the Sb800 thats mounted on my D70 in MASTER MODE Channel 3 A, The other on a stand 5 feet away in REMOTE mode, Channel 3 A and what happens... NOTHING?? I get one or two flashes, but thats it.. Batteries are new in both flashes...

Do I have to have sensors faciing a certain way or something?? What is the range I can expect from this should it be working???

Dave,

If it looks interesting, photograph it!

Dave,

If it looks interesting, photograph it!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 22-Jan-06 05:02 AM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why dont my SB800's fire outdoors?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Dave:

When outdoors or in large rooms the small round sensor on the remote SB800 just ahead of the battery door must be pointed at the SB800 on the camera. The SB800s will work indoors even if they do not have line of sight communication because the sensors are so sensitive. Outdoors you have no reflecting walls and ceilings. The flash head will swivel 270 degrees on the body of the SB800.

When I first started working with SB800s, it seemed they could see around corners and furniture and through walls indoors. Initially I thought they were radio frequency coupled instead of visible light. Then outdoors: nothing.

Try it and let us know what happens.

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

coop42 Basic MemberMon 23-Jan-06 04:33 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why dont my SB800's fire outdoors?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I've gotten consistent use of my sb800 close to 80 ft away outside, on a cloudy day, when the sensor on the sb800 is pointed towards the camera.

coop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #12828 Previous topic | Next topic