Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #119
View in linear mode

Subject: "N80 & the SB50" Previous topic | Next topic
cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 12:38 AM
6267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"N80 & the SB50"

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi

When using the N80 with the SB28 flash as the main and SB50 as the fill (off- camera), can you also use the on-board flash with this set-up for portraits? How well does this set-up work, if at all?

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
"From the Atchafalaya Basin, in Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA"
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

NikoScope® - Find Photography Friends From All Over The World

Nikonians Academy - Master Your Photography
www.nikoniansacademy.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: N80 & the SB50
Lefty
22nd Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
22nd Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
22nd Jul 2001
mbowker64 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
22nd Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
22nd Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
22nd Jul 2001
afinegold
23rd Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
23rd Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
23rd Jul 2001
vchong
28th Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
28th Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
30th Jul 2001
vchong
28th Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
28th Jul 2001
Dtso
05th Dec 2001
meerkat
05th Dec 2001
vchong
28th Jul 2001

Lefty Basic MemberSun 22-Jul-01 03:15 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 0

Virginia Beach, US

Carolyn
The built-in flash on your camera can only be used with the SB50 on it - not the SB28, unfortunately. In order to use all three flashes in conjunction, you must use the SB50 on-camera, with built-in flash, and put your SB28 on the SU-4 unit(TTL wireless slave).They run about $80-$90 new.
IMO, that would be an excellent modest studio setup until your White-Lightenings arrive ...but watch out for those Calloways to appear in the garage or his car trunk

"Shoot pictures and enjoy life in between!"
Chris (Lefty) Taylor

Cheers,
Chris

(Lefty)color="white"]
Taylor
You're
only as good as your last
shot!

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 04:50 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Or you could use both larger flashes off camera using a TTL connection to the SB-28 (or an SU-4 wireless module) and using the SB-50 in its TTL slave mode or via a TTL cord connection.

Remember that the on-camera flash is easy to block with a larger diameter lens or a lens with a hood. Usually, I don't care for a strong light that comes from just above the lens. I prefer to use multiple flashes off the camera. The SU-4 comes with a diffuser that significantly tones down the built in flash while providing enough light to trigger the TTL remotes. I only use a hotshoe mounted flash when I have to and then I try to use it as a bounce flash if possible.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 10:06 AM
6267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 1

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

Several White Lightnings would be great! Other people have recommended White-Lightnings as well. Maybe my husband will surprise me with a studio setup for my birthday.

I will think on the SB50.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

mbowker64 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 02:01 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 3

Lansing, US

The specs for the SB-50 says it has wireless slave capacity and I believe JRP mentioned it also in another thread. I believe you can fire the SB-50 remotely with the built in speedlight so you could also fire it with the SB-28 on the N80. Right? At least I think that is what it means.

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4716NCP

Mike

"Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see"
-William Newton Clark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 06:13 PM
#5. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 4

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi mbowker64,

I am not sure. I just read the specs from the url you had posted with your message. I understand it can be use off-camera with the built-in flash, but I am not sure if can have the SB28 connected. I am new to all of this, so my understanding is slowwwww. Does anyone know for sure? I would like to know. I am leaning towards purchasing the SB50 and possibly in the future have a set of studio lights to develop more skills and of course, have tons of fun. Does anyone have any other recommendations or suggestions?

I have posted questions similar to this and have received some good suggestions. I appreciate all the comments I read here. Again, a big thanks to all of you.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 09:07 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 5

Salt Lake City, US

I don't own an SB-50 so I can't verify it personally, but I doubt it would be less versatile than other Nikon flashes.

I often use both my SB-28 and SB-22s off-camera. I've used two SB-28 units and an SB-22s as well using cords and an SU-4 wireless TTL slave. Mulitple flashes work with the N80's built in flash as well, although not when mounted in the hotshoe as the SB-50 will.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSun 22-Jul-01 10:58 PM
#7. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 6

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks BJNciholls. It is finely started to sink in. I think.

If I understand all of this correctly,

1) I can use the SB28 and the SB50 off-camera with sc17 and sc19 cords,but not use the built-in flash with this setup

2)I can use the SB28 off-camera with sc17 and/or sc19 cords, slong with the built in camera.

3) I can use the SB28 off-camera with sc cords and have the sb50 on hot shoe and use the built-in flash

Is this correct? If not, would you mind trying to explain it to me just one more time? Please and thank you.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

afinegold Basic MemberMon 23-Jul-01 03:35 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 7

Bellevue, US

Just a quick question--does anyone have, or has anyone even seen (in person), the SB-50DX? I thought from other postings on the forum that the flash had not been released yet. I know that some stores (eg., Regency) are advertising, but not sure that means they actually have it yet.

Al--

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 23-Jul-01 04:55 PM
#9. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 7

Salt Lake City, US

1) True. The SC-17 cord interferes with raising the flash on the camera.

2) False for the reason above.

3) False since you have to connect cords to the hotshoe the SC-17 cord.

Here are the issues:

You can use multiple flashes with TTL from the N80 either via cords or using wireless TTL slave options.

The N80 has only one place to connect to external flashes - the hotshoe. If you use the SC-17, you can't use the built in flash. However, you can use the built in flash if you use wireless modules.

Only the SB-50 allows you to use it mounted to the hotshoe with the on camera flash. A flash mounted in the camera's hotshoe prevents you from using cords to link to external flashes.

You can still use multiple external flashes (like your SB-28) via the SU-4 wireless remote. The SB-50 has the equivalent to a built-in SU-4.

Note: If the SB-50 has a TTL cord socket like the SB-28 does, that would change the possibilities, but I don't see a socket in the specs.

I hope that helps...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberMon 23-Jul-01 09:10 PM
#10. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 9

Breaux Bridge, US

Thank you! I got it now. It helped very much.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 04:38 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 9

Victoria, CA

>Note: If the SB-50 has a TTL cord socket like the
>SB-28 does, that would change the possibilities,
>but I don't see a socket in the specs.

The SB-50DX has no sync socket.

You can get around this by emptying your wallet a little more and getting the AS-10 "TTL Multi-Flash Adapter" that provides a tripod socket and shoe along with three sync terminals.

I have a wack of Nikon literature sitting in front of me.

Victor

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSat 28-Jul-01 10:15 PM
#14. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 13

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks Victor.

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 30-Jul-01 12:22 AM
#16. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 13

Salt Lake City, US

The specific possibility I had in mind was using ttl cords with the SB-50dx mounted in the hotshoe. If it had a ttl socket, this would be possible. Since it doesn't, you have to use wireless options for additional flashes...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 04:32 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 5

Victoria, CA

You can use the SB-50DX in many different ways. Here are a handful of them:

1. SB-50DX mounted in the shoe of your SLR and used as a solitary speedlight;

2. SB-50DX mounted on a bracket and connected to your SLR through an SB-17 remote TTL cord;

3. SB-50DX mounted in the shoe of your SLR with a built-in speedlight and using both the SB-50DX and built-in flash in "double flash" mode to increase your effective guide number;

4. SB-50DX mounted on a bracket in "wireless slave" mode and with an SG-2 diffuser attached to the shoe of your SLR with a built-in speedlight to diffuse the built-in speedlight (which will be used as the master to trigger your SB-50DX wireless slave)

5. Two or more SB-50DX units; one mounted on your SLR's shoe or a bracket (through an SC-17 cord) set up as the wireless master, and all other SB-50DXs set up in wireless slave mode.

6. Same as above, except with the SW-9IR filter attached to the master SB-50DX, which performs the same function as above but uses infrared to trigger the slaves rather than visible light.

There are other combinations that I haven't listed but I think you get the idea that the SB-50DX is a pretty versitile little flash for not a lot of money.

V.

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSat 28-Jul-01 10:18 PM
#15. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 12

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks. That is alot of options. This was also in terms I could grasp. Thanks again for you time.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

Dtso Basic MemberWed 05-Dec-01 01:47 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 12

I have a problem on using my SB50DX as slave to the master built-in speedlight. When I mounted the SB50 on a flash accessory shoe, I could not switch to the "wireless slave " mode in either automatic or manaul. Did I do anything wrong or miss some other accessories?

Darren

meerkat Basic MemberWed 05-Dec-01 06:05 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 17

silly-can valley, US

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-01 AT 08:08 PM (GMT)

> Did I do anything wrong or miss some other accessories

I don't think you do anything wrong except rationality.
what's your logic or value-added using slave mode while speedlight on camera. You don't need to set sb50 in
slave mode in order to use builtin speedlite & SB50 in parallel.

meerkat

vchong Basic MemberSat 28-Jul-01 04:13 PM
#11. "RE: N80 & the SB50"
In response to Reply # 4

Victoria, CA

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-01 AT 06:13 PM (GMT)

Yes, you can fire the SB-50DX with the built-in speedlight of an F65, F70, F80, etc. or with another flash unit.

Alternatively (and this is kind of cool) you can put the IR filter on the front of the SB-50DX and trigger other SB-50DXs (or other speedlights mounted onto an SU-4 wireless module) using infrared which (unless you're shooting infrared film, of course) doesn't affect the exposure of your picture.

So yes, the sensor on the SB-50DX is responsive to both visible and infrared light. You can even fire the SB-50DX (in manual mode) with an infrared TV remote control if you are close enough to the sensor window and aim well!

Victor

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.