Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #11783
View in linear mode

Subject: "AA mode possible with manual lenses?" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 05-Dec-05 04:09 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AA mode possible with manual lenses?"

US

I'm thinking about getting an AA-mode capable speedlight for use with my D1h due to the extended aperture range available over my SB-25's regular A mode and the exposure compensation option. It is my understanding that AA mode will work with any aperture setting and either manual or aperture priority modes. But will AA mode work with manual focus AI and AIS lenses? If not, this will be a deal-breaker. I want to use it with a manual telephoto zoom at f/2.8 and f/4.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Dec 2005
blw Moderator
26th Dec 2005
dslater Silver Member
29th Dec 2005
edmun
29th Dec 2005
dslater Silver Member
29th Dec 2005
edmun
30th Dec 2005
alm
30th Dec 2005

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 25-Dec-05 03:01 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, I just found out that AA mode is not available with the SB-28DX when using manual lenses. Can anyone with the SB-800 confirm that the same is or is not true for the SB-800?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 26-Dec-05 12:49 PM
26716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

I don't have a MF lens with me, but I'd be surprised if AA could work, because AA mode depends on have aperture info sent to the flash. Without a cpu, I don't think that's feasible...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Dec-05 03:13 AM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hollis, US

I don't know about other flashes, but on my SB-800 I can manually set the aperture on the flash when I am using an MF lens.

>I don't have a MF lens with me, but I'd be surprised if AA
>could work, because AA mode depends on have aperture info
>sent to the flash. Without a cpu, I don't think that's
>feasible...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 29-Dec-05 03:49 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

AA mode requires the Distance information only a D, G, Dx lens can provide see page 38 of SB 800 manual. (that is if you understand Greek or geek talk)

ledmun

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberThu 29-Dec-05 11:38 AM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hollis, US

I see - I was thinking of A (Non-TTL Auto mode). Given the camera requirements for AA mode, it looks like any camera capable of AA mode is also capable of TTL mode. Why would you want to use AA mode instead of TTL mode?

>AA mode requires the Distance information only a D, G, Dx
>lens can provide see page 38 of SB 800 manual. (that is if
>you understand Greek or geek talk)

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 30-Dec-05 04:33 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

I believe AA mode does not do a preflash and therefore may reduce people with closed eyes. Nor will it trigger SU-4 slave type units with the pre-flash.

ledmun

alm Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 30-Dec-05 10:04 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: AA mode possible with manual lenses?"
In response to Reply # 6

Zoetermeer, NL

It does pre-flash in AA mode, although the delay between pre-flash and main flash is somewhat shorter (the A mode does not). You can see the double lighting bolt icon on the flash that indicates pre-flash, and it's also somewhere in the manual.

The way I read page 38, you only need a CPU lens, which still excludes most MF lenses, but it's not limited to D/G lenses, I don't see anything about required distance information (it may use it if available, just like TTL mode).

The main advantage of A/AA mode versus TTL I see is with off-camera flash, since the flash won't see the same as the lens. The obvious example is lighting a background with a wireless slave. Since you just want the background correctly exposed, AA mode can work better in this case.

Alson

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #11783 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.