nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #11022
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?" Previous topic | Next topic
zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 12:24 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"

US

Does anybody know if this macro speedlight will work with a D50, or is it only compatible with the "big guns" Nikon mentions in their announcement?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
01st Nov 2005
Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
01st Nov 2005
Reply message D50 Compatibility
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Nov 2005
     Reply message RE: D50 Compatibility
zztop252
03rd Nov 2005
01st Nov 2005
zztop252
01st Nov 2005
01st Nov 2005
PhilVP
02nd Nov 2005
wailingtoad
02nd Nov 2005
PhilVP
02nd Nov 2005
nikvenn
02nd Nov 2005
edmun
03rd Nov 2005
wailingtoad
03rd Nov 2005
nikvenn
03rd Nov 2005
zztop252
03rd Nov 2005

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 12:59 PM
3334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

D50 isn't mentioned in the press release, but I'll ask about it for you!

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, Moving to Lightroom: Image Processing and Workflow

www.luminescentphoto.com

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberTue 01-Nov-05 01:44 PM
2175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 1

TH

As a gut guess I'd think that anything that will work with the SB-800 will work with the SU-800. For the looks of it the SU-800 is really just an SB-800 without the flash tube.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 01:06 AM
3334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "D50 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

I asked my Nikon contact:

YES. D50 is supported with the SU-800. Will not work with built-in speedlight (as it has no commander mode).

Probably just an oversight on the Press Release. I doubt too many D50 users (I mean that target group) will be interested in a macro speedlight system, but you never know.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Thu 03-Nov-05 03:16 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D50 Compatibility"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks Jason.

Really appreciate your efforts!!

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 01:49 PM
#3. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Major features and images are now up here

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Tue 01-Nov-05 10:07 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the info, Jason!

Looks like the D50 is compatible.

I guess it was just a marketing oversight....or was it???

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 01-Nov-05 10:36 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

I have sent your question to my Nikon contact-- I imagine he's pretty busy today.
But when I know, I'll post it here.

That SU-800 looks cool!

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

PhilVP Registered since 25th Sep 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 07:19 PM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 5

Broken Arrow, US

I can't imagine it not working. I see no reason why it wouldn't. The D50 is new and a variant of the D70 family. I would almost bet the farm it will work.

I think the R1C1 is going to be a winner and LONG overdue. I can't wait to order one set. I particularly like the idea of being able to add on additional lights as needed. Very cool. From the pictures, the engineering looks clever.

Phil Van Pelt

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 08:35 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As was pointed out, the D50 is not included in the announcement. It is also missing from the technical specifications on the Nikon Web Site (See http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4804). I have a difficult time beliving this was a simple oversight on Nikons part.

It makes we wonder if the D50 is somehow deliberatly crippled to not support the new speedlights (so as to not compete too much with the D70s).

Jon

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

PhilVP Registered since 25th Sep 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 09:04 PM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 7

Broken Arrow, US

I really think it is just an oversight at most. The current 600 & 800 work great on the D50. We will have to wait and see but if Nikon did that, they would just be hurting themselves as well because that would cut off potential sales to any D50 users.

Phil Van Pelt

nikvenn Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 11:44 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 8

UK

My intepretation of the press release was that D70/D100/D200 could use commander mode to trigger the individual flashes as could a sb800 in master mode but that other iTTl cameras e.g. D50 would need either a SB800 or su800 and since the SB800 works as a master on the D50 would imply that the SU800 would also do the job.

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
<<<.·°·. NIK .·°·.>>>
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 12:10 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 9

eugene, US

In my SB 800 manual the D70 is not listed as compatable. Nikon is often not up to date with there information.

ledmun

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 02:08 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>In my SB 800 manual the D70 is not listed as compatable.
>Nikon is often not up to date with there information.

The SB-800 was announced in July, 2003 where as the D70 was announced in December, 2003; so, it makes sense that the documentation wouldn't mention it since it didn't exist yet when the documentation was initially released (and, I don't think Nikon, as a general rule, goes back and updates documentation as new products are announced). The D70 manual does mention that it supports the SB-800 (which existed at the time the D70 was announced)

But, in this case, we're talking about an existing product being left out of any documentation (both the product announcement and the technical specifications). Perhaps I'm just being overly suspicious; but, if I owned a D50, I wouldn't rush out to buy one of the new flash systems until I saw some official statements from Nikon. It may very well work; but, it might not be officially supported by Nikon should you run into any problems.

Jon

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

nikvenn Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 02:38 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 12

UK

Quote from

http://www.nikon.ca/products/su800/

"The new Speedlight equipment from Nikon provides a variety of wireless multiple flash and close-up flash operations. The Wireless Speedlight Commander SU-800 controls the flash output levels of the SB-800, SB-600 or new SB-R200 remote Speedlight units when mounted on current Nikon digital SLR cameras that are compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System."

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
<<<.·°·. NIK .·°·.>>>
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Thu 03-Nov-05 02:45 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon R1C1 wireless close-up speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I agree. I don't want to rush in and purchase one until I know for sure. As mentioned in previous posts, I would also assume that since the D50 can use an SB-800 as a commander, the SU-800 should work, too.

It is odd that the D50 was left out of all of the announcements. Especially since they have their "traveling tour" promotion going to promote the D50 as the next step up from the P&S group. If it is compatible, the ommission wasn't a very smart move on their part.

I know alot of people who never do any "due diligence" before they purchase something. All they will see is that the announcement doesn't include the D50, so obviously you can't use it with the R1C1 kit.

It will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #11022 Previous topic | Next topic