Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10860
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sb-600?" Previous topic | Next topic
nillevang Registered since 16th Aug 2004Tue 11-Jan-05 08:40 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sb-600?"

Vordingborg, DK

I still need a flash, so I just wondered... Is this a good flash? Why is so much cheaper than sb-800?

Niels Lillevang Hansen

Nikonian (also) in Denmark

<www.digitalphotographix.com>

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sb-600?
tim_nikonian
11th Jan 2005
vettelover
12th Jan 2005
jeremyrh
12th Jan 2005
uvaalum
12th Jan 2005
nikvenn
05th Nov 2005
David Mulligan
12th Jan 2005
hak
14th Jan 2005
tim_nikonian
14th Jan 2005
hlk
03rd Nov 2005
uvaalum
12th Jan 2005
iskaboo
12th Jan 2005
tim_nikonian
12th Jan 2005
Dacoz
14th Jan 2005
keith_benedict
14th Jan 2005
bill500 Silver Member
15th Jan 2005
vultureacs
01st Nov 2005
edmun
02nd Nov 2005
Ion Control
06th Nov 2005
Reply message Why an External Flash?
Ranger Tim
07th Nov 2005
wailingtoad
02nd Nov 2005
HBB Moderator
23rd Nov 2005
gilpen123
24th Nov 2005
willil
24th Nov 2005
HBB Moderator
24th Nov 2005
c04021986
30th Nov 2005
coop42
30th Nov 2005
HBB Moderator
30th Nov 2005

tim_nikonian Registered since 02nd Aug 2004Tue 11-Jan-05 11:02 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

I bought the SB-600 and I am very happy with it. My understanding is the only "real" difference between the two besides some of the included accessories is the increased guide number (more power) and the ability to server as a commander in the wireless creative lighting setup.

I felt good about purchasing the SB-600 first because I knew that if I only have one flash it will do what I need. Now I KNOW that if I purchase and additional speedlight, it will be the SB-800. I'm sure once I have it I will demote my SB-600 to be just a slave and use the SB-800 as my primary carry-around flash.

If you don't need the power, want the flash now, and this will be your first speedlight go for the 600 you will not be dissapointed.

Tim

This is a witty signature, you like it...

vettelover Registered since 23rd Jun 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 11:35 AM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 1

Orlando, US

The SB600 is an excellent flash. If it is the only flash you want (or need) it will likely serve you well. If you plan to get deeper into Nikon's Creative Lighting System (two or more Speedlights), you will need the SB800 to control everything. The SB800 has a few more bells and whistles and a tad more power, and of course, the ability to act as a Master flash.

jeremyrh Registered since 02nd Nov 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 11:53 AM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 2

Copenhagen, DK

Can the SB600 be triggered by the built-in flash?

jeremyrh

---------
D300; F100; Nikkor 17-55/2.8; 70-200/2.8; 18-200; 85/1.4; 45/2.8 PC; 50/1.8; Sigma 30/1.4; 28-70/2.8; Tokina 12-24; SB900, SB600x2

< Previous|
1|2|3|4|5|Next >

uvaalum Registered since 29th Mar 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 12:19 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 3

Cary, US

Yes, You can use the SB-600 as an off camera flash. The integrated flash serves as the controller.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nikvenn Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Sat 05-Nov-05 11:10 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

>Can the SB600 be triggered by the built-in flash?

since you have the D70 the answer is Yes

(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
<<<.·°·. NIK .·°·.>>>
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

David Mulligan Registered since 10th Oct 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 05:45 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

I thought that the SB-800 was not really that much more powerfull than the SB-600.

Also one advantage that I remember reading is the SB-600 recycles faster than the SB-800.

David

hak Registered since 05th Nov 2004Fri 14-Jan-05 01:49 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 7

McLean, US

does the 600 have the 'external battery' option for faster cycling?

tim_nikonian Registered since 02nd Aug 2004Fri 14-Jan-05 01:58 AM
#10. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 9

Sunnyvale, US

no

hlk Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 11:16 AM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 7

Perth, AU

Yes, due to less power usage than SB-800 so quicker recycling time.

uvaalum Registered since 29th Mar 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 12:21 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cary, US

I purchased the SB-600 because it has the power that I need for the lenses I will use to take flash pictures. If you do not need the power of the SB-800, then you will find the SB-600 sufficient.

iskaboo Registered since 03rd Sep 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 04:09 PM
#6. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 5

London, GB

This is beginning to sound like a broken record.

I bought an SB600 at the same time I bought my D70 because 1) I knew I would need a flash unit and 2) it was £150 cheaper than the SB800. I think the SB600 is great. That said, I have never used an SB800 and maybe, if I ever used one, I would say that it was worth double the money.

If you are a hobbyist, like me, and not a pro, I would find it hard to believe that you would need an SB800. The SB600 gives me all that I need and much, much more.

tim_nikonian Registered since 02nd Aug 2004Wed 12-Jan-05 11:20 PM
#8. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sunnyvale, US

I think the need comes in when you have more than one. I for one am looking forward to picking up an SB-800 now so I can bounce the 800 (on camera) and have my 600 placed around the room for different lighting effects, and all of this without a light meter. Pretty cool

Dacoz Registered since 28th Nov 2004Fri 14-Jan-05 03:24 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 8

I think that the 600 is a great flash at a great price. If you only want to buy one flash, get the 600. The 800 comes with some extras like a diffusion cap, but you can order one for about 25 dollars (American) from Stoffen.

That being said, I will buy the 800 sometime down the road. Not because I'm disappointed with the 600; I want to use two flashes for different lighting effects. If you decide that you want to use two flashes, you could buy the 800 down the road.

Cheers,

Kevin

http://coz.ca

keith_benedict Registered since 14th Jan 2005Fri 14-Jan-05 08:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 0

I do mostly existing light photography, so I'm still trying to convince myself that I need an external flash. Can somebody post images that show the direct comparison between the built-in flash and one of the external flashes?

Thanks.

bill500 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2002Sat 15-Jan-05 03:00 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 12

Houston, US

Do the 600 and 800 have the A or Auto Aperture mode? What about variable power in manual?

Bill

Nikonian in Houston Texas

D300, D50(never gets used anymore)

vultureacs Basic MemberTue 01-Nov-05 01:53 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 13

Strasbourg, FR

I'm not sure what you mean with A mode, this only applies to the camera, not the flash unit. The SB-600 will work fine in A mode.

If you switch the flash to manual you can control it's power in increments, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64. IIRC you can finetune between those with 0.3 and 0.7 stops.

Does the SB-600 support FP short sync or not? The manual is kinda ambigous about this and some people on this site say it doesn't. I don't see it mentioned here as a difference with the SB-800 though.

I'd like to know because I have an SB-600 and am looking into the D200, which for some daft reason has been crippled with 1/250 flash sync.

EDIT: I've just checked the SB-600 manual and it says it supports FP short sync with selected camera models and this setting needs to be activated through the camera. If I understand this correctly, it should be possible to use FP with the D200. Somebody please verify this.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 07:24 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 14

eugene, US

The SB 600 is a great flash but its power is lower than the SB 800 and its ability it zoom is restricted to 85 mm while the SB 800 goes to 105.

That said the effective power output is much greater with the SB 800.

The recylce time is longer because it has more power but it will fire faster as you do not use as much of its stored power for each given distance and f-stop.

My take is that the SB 600 is a flash to grow out of and the SB 800 is a flash to grow into.

For someone beginning with flash the difference look small but when you compare them in a year the differences will make sense a look a lot larger.
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID7/2301.html
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/3853.html are two other sets of comments on this subject.

ledmun

Ion Control Registered since 06th Nov 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 02:13 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Sb-600?"

Ft. Worth, US

>I do mostly existing light photography, so I'm still trying
>to convince myself that I need an external flash. Can
>somebody post images that show the direct comparison between
>the built-in flash and one of the external flashes?
>
>Thanks.

I can't post pics because I'm on a sloooow dial-up connection, but there is no comparison! The built-in flash can't hold a candle (is that a pun?) to the SB600. The difference is like night and day (another pun?). In fact, it's SO dramatic that the SB600 I bought with a zoom lens as a kind of "I'll grab this and see if I might want one" has become the primary purchase with the lens going back (i.e. I expected to keep the lens and return the flash. NOPE!)

Ranger Tim Registered since 31st Jul 2004Mon 07-Nov-05 02:40 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Why an External Flash?"

Richmond, US

One only needs to experiment with bounce flash and diffusers (on flash and off) to appreciate the nuances possible when utilizing an external flash. Add to this the needed power to suppliment daylight with fill flash and there is a compelling argument for acquiring one. Macro photography can be a liberating experience when wireless flash is used carefully.

Tim
Camp Ranger, BSA

Tim
Camp Ranger, BSA
http://home.earthlink.net/~streagle/index.html

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 07:03 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

> Why is so much cheaper than sb-800?

Look at the recent announcement of the SU-800 which is basically an SB-800 without the flash head (A master only unit for controlling remote flashes). The list price for the SU-800 is $265.00. That suggests that the electronics for being a master are fairly complex and may explain why the SB-800 costs so much more than the SB-600.

Check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600vs800.htm for a comparison of the SB-600 & SB-800 (with a bias towards the SB-600).

FWIW, I got a SB-600 when I bought my D70 and have been very happy with it. Although, I do plan on getting a SB-800 someday so that I can better advantage of Nikons Creative Lighting System (CLS). I'm also very interested in the new SB-R200 remote flashes that were just announced this week.

Jon

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 23-Nov-05 10:40 PM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Niels:

I realize this post is almost a year old but thought I would add to it.

I started with a single SB800 and then another, and another until I now own eight of them. I shoot night shots (D2X) of police officers in dark blue/black uniforms that soak up light like sponges. For single flash users, the SB600 is great, although a bit less powerful than the SB800 abnd less expensive. For complex, multiple flash situations, the SB800 cannot be beat. I have friends using the Canon equivalent and they are envious of what I can do.

The CLS sstem takes a bit of study to get into but the effort is well worth it. I have complete flexibility and can control every flash unit from the master SB800 on the camera which saves an incredible amount of time on complicated shoots covering large areas, such as patrol cars with helicopters hovering overhead and officers scattered about the scene.

The electronics in the SB800 for the CLS system are quite complex as the master strobe must convey instructions to each of the remotes (in three groups, A, B and C and on one of four channels) using a "preflash" signaling system. The remotes must receive their preflash instructions and act accordingly.

I could go on for pages, but I hope this brief summary helps,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

gilpen123 Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 12:21 AM
442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 21

Manila,, PH

SB600 is great with the D70 but of course if you want more power and control, SB800 is the choice. For semi-pro and non-pro on camera usage the SB600 will be enough. I bought lumiquest pocket bouncer and mini soft box diffuser to soften effects of on camera speedlight with only -1 stop penalty.

Gil

willil Registered since 09th Nov 2005Thu 24-Nov-05 01:19 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 22

Portland, US

Can the D70s control multiple 600s?

Or after looking at the Nikon site some more. What is the difference between a master and a commander?

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 24-Nov-05 02:38 AM
8482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 23

Phoenix, US

Colleagues:

When I was shooting D70s, I always used one SB800 as master on the camera and multiple SB800s as remotes, configured in three groups, A, B and C, which are independently controlled entirely from the master on the camera. No more walking around large setups adjusting remote slave strobes. I am usually shooting tethered to my notbook computer during these sessions and can quickly adjust lighting without ever leaving my position behind the tripod holding the D2X and the computer. With seven remote strobes scattered over a large setup, the time savings are enormous.

The "Commander" mode is built into the D70 and uses its built-in flip up flash as a trigger for remote SB800/600 (I believe it works with the SB800 and SB600 as remotes). The "Master" mode involves placing an SB800 on the D70 as a master controller which is then used to control as many remote SB800s/600s as you can afford. I frequently use all eight of mine in complex night shots. A recent night shoot involved patrol cars and officers on the ground and helicopters hovering overhead. Later this year, I will repeat a session at the police firing range with three to four second time exposures of officers firing all kinds of weapons in the dark to capture muzzle flash followed by rear curtain synch of multiple SB800s to illuminate the officers. Other SB800s will be fitted with red filters to illuminate white smoke from camoflage grenades.

I never tried the D70 Commander mode to fire remote SB800s/600s but believe it is limited in capability (i.e., one group of remotes all behaving more or less identically on one channel). With an SB800 on the D70 and multiple SB800/600 remotes, the entire CLS system is available.

I'm probably repeating myself, but the CLS system takes a bit of study to get into it. The SB800 manual is 124 pages and can be intimidating. Everything is there (almost) but it takes some study and experimenting to master. Once it all comes together, whole new worlds open up.

Hope this helps,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

c04021986 Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 30-Nov-05 04:00 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 21

I already have SB-800 and want to add another iTTL for off-camera. Should I buy SB-600 and use it mainly as a slave or should I pay more and get SB-800 anyway. Are the user interface different between these two? (I understand SB-800 is more powerful). Thanks.

>Niels:
>
>I realize this post is almost a year old but thought I would
>add to it.
>
>I started with a single SB800 and then another, and another
>until I now own eight of them. I shoot night shots (D2X) of
>police officers in dark blue/black uniforms that soak up
>light like sponges. For single flash users, the SB600 is
>great, although a bit less powerful than the SB800 abnd less
>expensive. For complex, multiple flash situations, the
>SB800 cannot be beat. I have friends using the Canon
>equivalent and they are envious of what I can do.
>
>The CLS sstem takes a bit of study to get into but the
>effort is well worth it. I have complete flexibility and
>can control every flash unit from the master SB800 on the
>camera which saves an incredible amount of time on
>complicated shoots covering large areas, such as patrol cars
>with helicopters hovering overhead and officers scattered
>about the scene.
>
>The electronics in the SB800 for the CLS system are quite
>complex as the master strobe must convey instructions to
>each of the remotes (in three groups, A, B and C and on one
>of four channels) using a "preflash" signaling system. The
>remotes must receive their preflash instructions and act
>accordingly.
>
>I could go on for pages, but I hope this brief summary
>helps,
>
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

coop42 Basic MemberWed 30-Nov-05 07:27 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 25

CA

There are significant differences in the UI between the two flashes.

Since you already have an SB800, I suggest you get another one - despite the extra cost, just for ease of use.

Take a look at the manuals (available online) and you will see what I mean.

coop

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-05 07:29 PM
#27. "RE: Sb-600?"
In response to Reply # 25

Phoenix, US

Niels:

If you are going to use the existing SB800 as master on the camera, SB600s will work fine for remotes although at less power (reach) than the SB800s. The only reason for getting another SB800 for the remote would be the greater power.

Hope this helps,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #10860 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.