nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #106
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which mode is preferred ??" Previous topic | Next topic
boonwei Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 02:58 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which mode is preferred ??"

hi,just curious about which mode SB-28 work best for most nikonians.heard a lot of good things about the A mode,any suggestions??BTW,i'm using a F90x live life as colorful as slides..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which mode is preferred ??
jnscbl
20th Jul 2001
gam
28th Sep 2001
odie
28th Sep 2001
jjussi
30th Sep 2001
odie
30th Sep 2001
Ed
30th Sep 2001
odie
30th Sep 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
30th Sep 2001
odie
01st Oct 2001
odie
01st Oct 2001
Ed
01st Oct 2001
jjussi
01st Oct 2001

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 09:07 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Auto mode is for non-TTL cameras, such as FM2. There is no advantage that I can think of to use A instead of TTL.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

gam Basic MemberFri 28-Sep-01 04:23 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 1

US

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-01 AT 05:24 AM (GMT)

I just got an SB-28 to use with mt CP990. Having read the SB-28 manual and re-read the CP990 manual, I still don't know whether I can use TTL mode or whether I must use Auto. My first stab was to set the SB-28 for ISA-200 & F4 and match those settings manually on the CP990. This seems to throw away any exposure help from either piece of hardware. I wonder if its easier than this. I'd appreciate any light shed on the subject.

Thanks,

George Milburn
Sarasota, FL

odie Basic MemberFri 28-Sep-01 12:56 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not familiar with the specific camera. But every modern Nikon that has program and auto modes has TTL. Place flash on ttl and chose any mode on your camera besides manual and you should be in business.

jjussi Basic MemberSun 30-Sep-01 10:38 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 3

KLAUKKALA, FI

>I'm not familiar with the specific
>camera. But every modern
>Nikon that has program and
>auto modes has TTL.
>Place flash on ttl and
>chose any mode on your
>camera besides manual and you
>should be in business.

Nikon D1 has no TTL-flash capability as far as I know.

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

odie Basic MemberSun 30-Sep-01 08:22 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 4

Jussi,

Are you just guessing, or talking out the side of your neck?
I hope you don't own, or use one of these. It most certainly has TTL flash as do all Nikon digital cameras.

It would silly to put so many automated features in a camera and not put in TTL flash. I can only think of two Nikons produced in the very, modern era (post 1990) that don't have TTL: the FM2N and FM10/FE10.

http://www.nikonusa.com/specs/25201PDP.pdf
You can read for yourself.

Ed Basic MemberSun 30-Sep-01 08:35 PM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 5

US

You're both right of course. The D1 will only TTL flash with the SB-28DX speedlight, none other. Before this flash was introduced, the D1 owner has to resort to non-TTL auto or manual flash with a regular SB-28.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

odie Basic MemberSun 30-Sep-01 08:47 PM
#7. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 6

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, always the peacemaker, Ed. This guy was just wrong.

He (Jussi) didn't specify which flash. And I would bet you that the SB50dx works with the D1. So, the camera has TTL with the right flash, but isn't that the story for all cameras?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 30-Sep-01 11:17 PM
35264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 7

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Getting back to the original question, respectfully:
Automatic Balanced TTL fill-flash is recommended when you could take the picture without flash; that is, just to fill-in.
The flash output is automatically controlled to keep both the subject and the background correctly exposed. (Not to confused with A mode). You can accomplish this with your N90s in any desired metering and exposure modes with both D and non-D lenses.
Standard TTL flash, when you want the main subject to be emphasized against the background; typically at night or under dim light.
I have shot in A mode (always by mistake on the flash settings since it is not TTL) and noticed varied differences than when on TTL, which is always much better. As Scott suggested, the A mode is for cameras without TTL capabilities.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

odie Basic MemberMon 01-Oct-01 12:02 AM
#9. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 8

Wow,

You really read a different question than I did. The only camera mentioned was the F90x, it has TTL. Your response says both that A give mixed results and is the best. Are you sure he meant "A" mode on the flash, or "A" mode on the camera. Maybe that's the point of confusion?

odie Basic MemberMon 01-Oct-01 12:04 AM
#10. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 9

Re-read, your're right JRP he meant the flash.

Ed Basic MemberMon 01-Oct-01 05:16 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 7

US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-01 AT 06:18 AM (GMT)

> always the peacemaker, Ed.

Me, peacemaker? More like troublemaker, if you ask around.

> I would bet you that the SB50dx works with the D1.

Yes of course, the SB50DX too. My point was that at one point in time (before the SB28DX and SB50DX were introduced), the D1 will not TTL with any flash available then, including the SB28 - which is the flash in question here, and maybe just maybe Jussi was still in that mindset.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jjussi Basic MemberMon 01-Oct-01 06:02 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which mode is preferred ??"
In response to Reply # 5

KLAUKKALA, FI

>Jussi,
>
>Are you just guessing, or talking
>out the side of your
>neck?

No, I am rely on Moose's word..
http://www.moose395.net/digital/d1x0601.html

"For those not understanding the D1's flash inabilities, let me briefly explain. The D1 does not have true TTL flash like that found in the F5 and other Nikon conventional bodies. The D1 does not have the OTF (Off The Film) component of the traditional TTL formula because it does not have film to bounce light off of. This means the D1 relies on the Monitor PreFlash for its main flash exposure. The Monitor PreFlash is only effective when the subject is less than 20 feet away. It has other associated pitfalls such as working with bright subjects with dark backgrounds. For this reason, A (automatic) rather than TTL is the most typical flash setting with the D1 for me."

"The first thing I did with the D1x is to slap a SB-28dx on and do some quick test shots. I placed my wife in front of a bank of black filing cabinets; 25 feet away from me; and 20 feet in front of the background. With each situation I took shots and looked at the results on the LCD. WOW! To be honest with you, I was expecting the typical D1 flash-subject blow out but instead, I saw really nicely exposed flash photos! It's not that the D1x has new flash technology, just that the firmware/software controlling flash has been updated to solve the previous D1 problems."

"As a wildlife photographer, the typical scenario I run into is a subject in front of a dark background that needs to be flash filled. This is something the D1 simply doesn't handle with grace, in fact it has been a point of great frustration for me personally coming from shooting with the F5. So while the D1x proved itself in my quick "in office" tests, it's in the field with real shooting scenarios that helps make up my mind up that something either works or doesn't work. I had been photographing some nesting Mountain Bluebirds when the D1x arrived, I couldn't think of a better opportunity than to photograph them as I already knew how the D1 wasn't working."

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #106 Previous topic | Next topic